IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer 2018

Ilovepalm

Hi! Do you have in your countries of African heat? Because in Europe the temperature reaches above +40 Celsius and I admit that I have sincere enough. Waiting with longing for autumn and cooling. In Spain, for example, two men have already died of stroke. I will not mention how animals (also wild) are tormented by the heat. There is not a gram of rain!

It has been three months now since we have had any rain. Not quite as hot as you have been, only 95F/35C in the cool PNW. 40C is our record here, but August is usually hotter. Hope it cools down for you soon, and don't forget to put a dish of water out for the wildlife in your garden. 

I've had a few perennials and shrubs that have stopped blooming or have leaf damage because of the heat and drought. 

Edited by Palm crazy

@Palm crazy Of course, we need to look after the small brothers and the give it outside the bowls of water. For us it's nothing, for them a lot in such heat.

• Upvote 1

In my humid subtropical climate I have seen some good indexes. One 94f day had an index of 122f add in the humidity and it makes Africans feel hot lol. Thankfully we are most mid to high 80s for temperature and humidity levels so usually it's quite comfortable.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...

We have a torrid climate here in SE Louisiana. Its hot but the humidity is what does it.  I remember once the heat index reached 130F at the lake front in New Orleans.

It was near 100F but the humidity was at 60%. This is the place to come if you like to sweat.

We hit 112 (45c) two days in row this year and have recorded 32 days above 100 (38c) so far this year; slightly higher than normal in that regard. 

Houston has the most miserable summer weather of any major US city. The main differentiator from most of lousiana and east into florida is the lack of afternoon showers in Houston that instantly cool off most of the southeast. I rather live anywhere in Florida than in Houston. It is 4.5 months of 24/7 unrelenting sweat and im positive if we could find a graph plotting the mean or average heat index over a 24hr period it would back up my claim. Only comparable weather I have experienced was in southern Taiwan. 

• Upvote 1

I am waiting for November to come - my favorite month. We have terrible heat for 3 months (35-40 C). There is no rain. Many people suffer.

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I can vouch for Orlando and Tampa.  Summer is definitely a season where you appreciate the shade of live oaks while you mow.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

With the end in sight,  it has a fairly typical summer in the desert in most respects, with few caveats..

While we have had our share of blast furnace heat, it hasn't been quite as bad as last year and despite a run at 106-109f heat predicted for Sunday, and the start of next week, i don't think we'll reach or break the record of 33 days at or above 110F this year.. that being said, overall, we're currently above average on 100F deg days and could break a record there. We have also had more higher overnight low records set this summer. 

Luckily, what was looking to be a bad fire season coming into the Summer has been relatively tame. The surprise rain event we saw in mid-June may have helped. 

In spite of not getting in on any real rainfall at the house until recently, this years Monsoon season is currently being ranked 2nd wettest across the valley though, if you look at what rainfall has been recorded at Sky Harbor, they're actually below normal. Despite that, other parts of town have received 2-4+" of rain so far in some pretty big storm events. High country ( Flagstaff, Prescott / Rim, White Mtns. ) have also seen quite a bit of rain so far.

Unlike last year's grand failure, it looks like our wet season might just stick around through what is left of of August, and possibly on through September as well ( per discussion by the NWS recently). Latest Longer term Wx Model updates also keep some degree of above normal precip. chances going across the state as we go into fall ( Oct.-Nov) Obviously, we'll see how that plays out, would be great.. but certainly no guarantee.. 

As the season changes, predictions like this could be hinting at rainfall events from remnant tropical systems, something we haven't seen much of so far.. Fall is also one of the prime seasons for classic severe storm events, if we get them here.. Still, at least the days are getting shorter, and a return to highs mostly in the 90s and evenings in the 60s / low 70s are in sight.  

The Sperling information is interesting. From personal experience, I can remember Dallas on a business trip and eating outside late and it was over 100F in the summer and was humid. Before that experience, I always believed Dallas was where the dry air started.

Contrariwise, I can remember getting out of a pool in Phoenix on a summer night and feeling chilly. The thermometer read 95F!

As a south Floridian, we are used to hot humid temperatures, particularly in the summer. September is generally the most difficult month. Heighth of hurricane season and you see folks actually wearing sweaters at football games. That is not fair.

I have always wondered if the folks out west appreciate the comfort factor associated with the lack of humidity. Do you have to experience humidity in order to understand how comfortable the lack of it is?

That stated, while So Fla is hot and humid, we are fortunate to have a constant breeze that makes it more tolerable. November-May is hard to beat and it is dry season.

What you look for is what is looking

On 20.08.2018, 00:18:09, bubba said:

The Sperling information is interesting. From personal experience, I can remember Dallas on a business trip and eating outside late and it was over 100F in the summer and was humid. Before that experience, I always believed Dallas was where the dry air started.

Contrariwise, I can remember getting out of a pool in Phoenix on a summer night and feeling chilly. The thermometer read 95F!

As a south Floridian, we are used to hot humid temperatures, particularly in the summer. September is generally the most difficult month. Heighth of hurricane season and you see folks actually wearing sweaters at football games. That is not fair.

I have always wondered if the folks out west appreciate the comfort factor associated with the lack of humidity. Do you have to experience humidity in order to understand how comfortable the lack of it is?

That stated, while So Fla is hot and humid, we are fortunate to have a constant breeze that makes it more tolerable. November-May is hard to beat and it is dry season.

I appreciate the cold, but the climate changes all over it, as well as its axis of Earth. Now Europe is also getting very hot, fires are burning. Even in Scandinavia there is +30 Celsius.

Meanwhile the eastern USA is colder than average....

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Here in Eastern North Carolina our highs have been in the mid 90ºs with feels like temperatures around 104º. Also we have had a lot of rain, which has gave us a cooler summer on average. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 8/14/2018, 9:58:14, Palmaceae said:

This is what SW Florida feels like :D

th.jpeg

Same here in NC! haha

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

50 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Here in Eastern North Carolina our highs have been in the mid 90ºs with feels like temperatures around 104º. Also we have had a lot of rain, which has gave us a cooler summer on average. 

Should have clarified. Colder winters. Our summers are getting warmer and most days have a real feel of 98 to 123f.

50 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Same here in NC! haha

This summer yes! It was up to 124 for a brief time lol. This is the typical summer though we just get a few more "days over 90" each year and have gotten a good mess of rain. Honestly the rain has cooled some parts of summer but usually just makes it muggier out. But winters since around 2010 have gotten colder and wetter it seems.

Screenshot_20180716-152919_Weather.thumb

Edited by mdsonofthesouth