IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

June Tread

Exotic Life

June starts perfect for here... Tempeture's go slowy up, so we don't get a fall back down ... Today was good growing weather with a daytempeture from almost 24C/75.2F and on the end of the day some little rain ...

Also the weatherforecast is really good to see :)

Normal average

Daytempeture: 19C/66.2F

Nighttempeture: 10C/50F

Saturday 02-06

Day: 26C/78.8F

Night: 13C/55.4F

Sunny and dry!

Sunday 03-06

Day: 25C/77F

Sunny and dry!

Monday 04-06

Day: 23C/73.4F

Night: 15C/59F

Sunny and dry

Tuesday 05-06

Sunny and dry

Wednesday 06-06

Night: 14C/57.2F

Sunny and dry!

Thursday 07-06

Day: 27C/80.6F

Night: 17C/62.6F

Sunny and on the end of the day a little change on some rain.

Southwest

HOT HOT HOT here......

today 89f day / 72f night

Rest of the week..... Low 80'sf day / high 60's f night

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Jun. 01 2007,14:08)

HOT HOT HOT here......

today 89f day / 72f night

Rest of the week..... Low 80'sf day / high 60's f night

Thats hot for NY, but it sounds like great growing weather.

Here in AZ we are running 97-105F highs @ 3-5 pm with 6-13% realtive humidity, fantastic pool weather for people, just too dry for most palms.  But in the mornings, its just sublime, 72-75F, 20-25% RH.  I'll be going back east to delaware this week and I know the humidity will be uncomfortable, even at 80 degrees.  My palms would sure like some of that humidity, though.

This is our dry/hot season, the most touchy time for palms.  I ramp up the frequency of irrigation this time of year until the dry humidity breaks, normally in mid july.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Well it's officially winter here, and we've had a 23C day yesterday and a forecast 21-22C today. Some rain would be nice, but it's just blue skies. No clouds at all. We may drop into the high teens a little bit next week, and Thursday it's meant to rain a bit, but I won't count on it. Today I will water everything, or I'll start stressing everything out for lack of water. palms are still growing and looking great. Even my Hydriastele is!!!

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Textbook June-Gloom here in SoCal. The sun comes out for a few hours in the afternoon... sometimes. We're on auto pilot for the next month. 60-Low, 70-High. Not complaining at all, but I know my plants would prefer it warmer.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Agree w/ you, Terry.  Very dull but very comfortable weather.  Haven't yet calculated May data but I know it was several degrees below normal, esp at night.  Ocean temps are now running 61F-67F [16c-19c] which is normal but minimums below 55F/12c is pretty unusual for this late in spring/early summer.

Palms want warmer temps that June brings  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Still warm up here , and still raining .

We have had rain for over 90 of the 150+ days of this year . Over 3m so far , damn have to replace those windscreen wiper blades again !

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

(aussiearoids @ Jun. 02 2007,07:35)

Still warm up here , and still raining .

We have had rain for over 90 of the 150+ days of this year . Over 3m so far , damn have to replace those windscreen wiper blades again !

Michael,

Send more down our way please!

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Well, very few people realised we are under the pounding of Tropical Depression Barry!

Rained all night!  :)  Windy all day. Kind of overcast. Comfortable near 80F

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

The rainy season pattern continues, but it must be getting closer to the end.  At least I hope so.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Barry pounded us last night with some much-needed rain... All we've had is sun & heat (not that I'm complaining), but we really needed a good soaking... Barry's leaving now as I type this...... Bye Barry.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

I hope Barry has a twin brother to bring more rain without the wind and surge.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Cloudy in the morning...Sunny, 72F in the afternoon....like every day!!

Doug

W.LA/ Westwood, CA

PS: "LA Story" is ALL true...

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

IT'S RAINING FINALLY and I don't care if it's winter and the soil temp will drop dramatically.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Haven't had any rain since Barry went by and been in low to mid 90's and sunny. Really could use more rain. Chances look good this afternoon and the rest of the week, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

It is now going into winter season in much of Brazil.  Here is a look at the weather in Curitiba, Parana in southern Brazil today.  It gets plenty cold there.  In the early 90's I went there frequently and at the same time was spending a lot of time in Manaus.  It was quite a difference from one place to the other.

Curitiba today.

CWBJune5.jpg

And, here is Manaus today, the end of our rainy or winter season.  The heat of summer is on it's way.

MAOjune5.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

June has started much warmer than May was here, although still a fair amount of cloud cover, it has been dry with a little more sun than we had been getting for the previous few weeks.  Daytime temperature forecasts are 22-24°C/72-75°F for the next six days, but partly cloudy each day.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Still nice growing weather over here, June starts again like almost every month to warm for here ... i don't care! :)

Thursday 08-06

Day: 26C/78.8F

Night: 18C/64.4F

Sunny, and in the end of the day change on heavy thunderstorms, with a change with a lot of rain and wind speeds.

Friday 09-06

Day: 29C/84.2F

Night: 19C/66.2F

Sunny, in the end of the day some thunderstorms.

Saturday 10-06

Sunny and dry

Sunday 11-06

Sunny and dry

Southwest

Ok today again a day with tempetures between the 25-29C/77-84.2F...

But again since last thursday in the end of the day some parts of the country get's heave weather!! Strange to say, i have got last night a little rainshower and i don't have see any of this thunderstorms and the netherlands aren't so big ...  :P

2362007105670.jpg

0620071121284.jpg

_DSF0569_490515b.jpg

More lightning pics from the last few day's are here: http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...=ST;f=10;t=5851

Some pics are sooo beautifull but dangerous! :)

Robbin

Southwest

I have been getting very frustrated with the Europe weather map of late.  Admittedly here it has been warmish, with temperatures in the low 20s°C/low 70s°F, but I keep seeing the rest of Europe being several degrees warmer.  A few days recently I have seen temperatures near 30°C/86°F from Oslo and Stockholm right down and around to Spain, while at the same time London has been 16°C/61°F or even less on occasions.

At least our night time temperatures have been above average and humidity has been higher than normal by UK standards, so the palms are reasonably happy, but I'm sure they wouldn't object to a little more heat.

Also temperatures here are due to drop by a few degrees over the next couple of days and there is no prediction for them to increase again in the foreseeable future.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

• 3 weeks later...

June ends much the way it started : suuny except the "gloom" of morning coastal clouds no longer reaches beyond the beach cities and basin.  Dry season is in full force now & ends the dries rain year on record in much of southern California  :(  [5.21 here....3.21 downtown  :o  since March 2006.

June ends spring hot & dangerously dry  

JUNE 2007

AVE MAX: 82.3 NORM: 84F/28.8C

AVE MIN: 59.8 NORM: 63F/17.2C

RAINFALL: 0.00

RAIN YEAR [JUL-JUN] 5.21

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

June was a degree above average at approx 20C max instead of 19C and the min was about average at 8.5C. Rainfall was less than a third of average at around 60mm instead of 180mm. Today the first day of July is wet, incredibly windy around 80km/h and 18C. Everything is getting knocked over in my pot ranch. The only palms happy are my Ceroxylons, Rhopies and Hedyscepes, unless they get blown away to Antarctica.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Having just checked The MET Office data for June, it comes as no surprise to find out that we had our wettest June on record using the data series from 1914.  So far, July is much the same.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Been just about average here.... Nice and warm ...... palms growing like crazy

Sat

Jul 7  Mostly Sunny

86°/71° 10%  

10 %

Sun

Jul 8  Sunny

92°/75° 10%  

10 %

Mon

Jul 9  Partly Cloudy

92°/75° 10%  

10 %

Tue

Jul 10  Isolated T-Storms

88°/76° 30%  

30 %

Wed

Jul 11  Isolated T-Storms

84°/75° 30%

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Robbin,

Those are great pictures.  As to the weather around here our summer dry season has started in full force.  It only rained 80 mm in June which is on the low side.  But, it rained over the average for the first 6 months of the year.  Days are no consistantly over 90 F with little rain.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Days are now consistantly over 90 F with little rain

Don

Sounds like the coastal valleys of LA, but that's the only similarity  :laugh:  Assume the Amazon basically has 2 seasons; one dry & the other wet in an eternal summer  :P

Actually a mini wet season begins in July for Arizona/southern Nevada & select areas in California. The tropical influence comes on south winds that blow humid air northward.  Some of the most torrential thunderstorms of the year occur in summer along the rim of the Sierra.

Dew points jumped well above 60 in Yuma/El Centro today [last week DW were below 20 degrees w/ 115+ maximums  :o  The moisture moderates the temperature but humidity makes it even more uncomfortable for Californios accustom to dry warmth.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23