IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Picked up a 7 gallon. Trachycarpus fortunei

Rickybobby

Just picked this guy up from Xlb palms. My seedlings and others I have will take years to get this size so I thought I’d bridge the gap. Might even plant this one in the ground next spring 

2A81E282-F760-4710-837C-FC96D8DBE643.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Nice palm! Been looking for local trachycarpus that are larger than the big box store with no luck. The nursery that used to have 15g+ in delmarva no longer carrys them and they also just told me the other day when I got my rhapidophyllum that they lost their yucca supplier a year ago to bankruptcy... So I need to find a gloriosa supplier too!

Hopefully they keep getting the needles though as I plan to plant the ever living hell out of them and sabal minor.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Today I went to a local big box store. They had all plants 75 percent off. Who hoo right. One prettt big spindle palm left. Wasn’t interested. What’s funny there price for 5 gallon is 129 bux. Not on sale and I get my 7 gallon trachycarpus for 60

Funny thing is this palm is from Florida. Today they had 100 3 gallons trachycarpus and I asked what was happening with them they told me they were going to British Columbia. This is crazy shipping palms from Florida to Ontario to bc. When guys like banana joe have thousands of these palms there already and for dirt cheap 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I am returning a big box trachycarpus tomorrow and was told they no longer have any windmills... Hopefully another one will have it. Seems like there has been a semi shortage this year at the big box around here. Maybe BC is buying them all up lol!

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Very nice Trachycarpus. I haven't seen any bigger than 3g at the big box stores here as well. I ended up purchasing a 15g from a local grower. It's better to buy from a nursery, their plants are usually more taken care of. If you get a chance to visit the Carolina's you should be able to find 7g+ fairly easy. 

My daughter loves trimming the dead off with me. She wouldn’t put the old frond down lol

225D0E14-294B-4B98-9705-699749D12A86.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my trachycarpus the fronds were thin and droopy and tattered but green and no browning. The new frond under my care is massive compared to how I bought it. I thank my fertilizing watering schedule and placement!

CDDFA78C-4F96-49A2-A9F5-0235811591B3.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Finally brought this guy indoors. Didn’t. Need to as days are still warm but a few so so nights coming up and really don’t want to push this palm. So I brought it indoors where it has a nice home for the winter 

E3534DC6-11B4-45E4-97AA-11A33E3E5F92.jpeg

Finally brought this guy indoors. Didn’t. Need to as days are still warm but a few so so nights coming up and really don’t want to push this palm. So I brought it indoors where it has a nice home for the winter