IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

So I ordered these Sabal minor seeds a long time ago and used the baggy method. The only thing was the area they were in was cool, so only one of the 5 seeds germinated so far. The ones that did not were put into a smaller community pot outside so they will be warm and hopefully I get a few more to germinate. Anyone have any Sabal minor 'Arkansas' they can share? Pictures? 

20180701_124951.jpg

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

Very nice!  Where did you get them from?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

34 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I bought them from someone on ebay with good reviews. I also did as much research as I could to make sure I was not getting the wrong seeds and read the description thoroughly. Here is the link (I hope I am allowed to do this here) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sabal-minor-ARKANSAS-HARDY-DWARF-PALMETTO-Seeds/382393177671?epid=1832633379&hash=item590868d647:m:mv0NtAKEVMAyoOXCcIwzfuQ

PalmTreeDude

40 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

That's great!  I've seen these listings on eBay before.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it will be interesting to see if they are hardy in your location.  That will likely verify whether they are authentically from Arkansas or at least a cold-hardy ecotype.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

North LA/south Arkansas minors are one of three varieties that we grow. They are giant plants when mature~ 8' leaves.  If these are the minors native right by Oklahoma then they are normal size. 

• Upvote 1

@TexasColdHardyPalms , you grow McCurtain, Arkansas, and ____? :)

Thank you for the description.  It will be interesting to see if the seedling turns into one of the large Arkansas varieties or one of the normal-sized types near SE OK.

Lakeland, FL

I'm not sure what part of Arkansas they are from. Is there any way to tell from the first few fronds what variety it is? 

PalmTreeDude

11 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

So I ordered these Sabal minor seeds a long time ago and used the baggy method. The only thing was the area they were in was cool, so only one of the 5 seeds germinated so far. The ones that did not were put into a smaller community pot outside so they will be warm and hopefully I get a few more to germinate. Anyone have any Sabal minor 'Arkansas' they can share? Pictures? 

20180701_124951.jpg

What temp were they kept at and how long did it take?

49 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

What temp were they kept at and how long did it take?

The tempature was around the low 70s (too low) and it took about 2 months. If it were to be warmer more would have sprouted (I assume) and faster. 

PalmTreeDude

Sabals want high heat at all stages of life. Place indoor seeds in an extra warm place: on top of hot water heater, computer box, other electronic device that emits heat.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 7/2/2018, 9:24:45, PalmatierMeg said:

Sabals want high heat at all stages of life. Place indoor seeds in an extra warm place: on top of hot water heater, computer box, other electronic device that emits heat.

I think that may be why they are so slow outside of Florida and other "hot" year round areas.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

12 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I think that may be why they are so slow outside of Florida and other "hot" year round areas.

Florida is hot to very hot 6-7 months of the year - year round is a myth. During our winter dry season Sabal seeds usually take months to germinate, usually until spring warmup.

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

15,000 minors. They like heat to germinate. 

20180704_162110.jpg

Are those all the same ecotype? 

PalmTreeDude

Yes those are the north Alabama ones.  The McCurtain are in another area as are the giant North LA minors.  The North LA minors have all come up as well, I just didn't take a picture.

13 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Florida is hot to very hot 6-7 months of the year - year round is a myth. During our winter dry season Sabal seeds usually take months to germinate, usually until spring warmup.

Oh I know I spent many winters and summers in the Tampa/St pete/Clearwater area. I have seen some pretty frigid temps in the area. That's why I put hot in quotes. 

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is now. In person you can already see a bit of blue on the frond, the picture does not pick it up well though. 

20180718_091848.jpg

• Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

On 7/6/2018, 10:25:09, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Yes those are the north Alabama ones.  The McCurtain are in another area as are the giant North LA minors.  The North LA minors have all come up as well, I just didn't take a picture.

Didn't you say on an old thread (I could not find it) that the North Alabama minors naturally grow in a 7b climate on the south side of a lake? 

PalmTreeDude

• 3 months later...

Here it is today. It is slow, but still growing, even after u brought it in and am using artificial light. 

15416506014344180449648517847743.jpg

• Upvote 4

PalmTreeDude

Looking good. I'm doing the same thing with a couple McCurtain variety seedlings that I germinated this last April, I'm not using artificial light though.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Two strap leaves in 4 months isn't bad for a Sabal.

Meg

Florida

26 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Two strap leaves in 4 months isn't bad for a Sabal.

That's my only issue with the sabal varieties...they all seem so slow. Spoiled with these chamaerops and trachycarpus' lol.

• Upvote 1