IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus f in full summer Ontario heat

Rickybobby

We know the windmill is more set for cooler temps. The question is. Here in southern. Ontario we have 70 percent humidity nignt lows of 24c and highs of 33c. Is this too warm for potted windmills and possibly seedlings?

Might be too much (in full sun) for seedlings depending on their size/age, but it’s not a problem for bigger plants, just make sure they’re well watered. I’ve seen potted windmills in Orlando where those conditions are the average in the summer.

My potted windmills have never shown signs of stress in high heat/humidity, this includes multiple nights and dew points in the 80’s (27C+) and days at/near 100F (38C), although their growth begins to slow down a bit above 95F (35C).

Edited by cm05

If windmills live in pots for us in texas there is nothing a northern summer can do to hurt them as long as they're getting adequate water.  We've been 95-105 with 70-80f dew points for the last few weeks and will be in that range every single day until late september.  Virtually no clouds or rain and still 90+f at midnight. 

They grow to fully mature trees all the way down here in zones 10/11 in southern FL. Your summers they should handle just fine.  

31 minutes ago, jwitt said:

20180628_174821.jpg

That looks awesome. We’re so lucky to have cold hardy palms currently I have 100 seeds from banana joe. They are all Canadian naturalized seeds. Hopefully I can germinate some and grow some palms more suited for here. Brining them in during the winter and giving them a tad light doesn’t phase them 

• Upvote 1

These are my trachycarpus, chamaerops, and butia all in pots all withstanding a much more brutal summer waiting for an addition that never will start it seems...but I digress. They all looked great during our latest drought + 95f and high humidity while I was away. They didn't get water or rain for just over a week and still look like this video.

Don't mind the dying trachycarpus, when I removed it from the store pot 2/3 or more of the roots literally dropped off the ball. As of a week ago it croaked for good, but has nothing to do with heat or drought. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto