IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adonidia help

Rickybobby

There are 3 palms in this pot one of the latest new fronds which has been green and healthy I just noticed looks burned. Any ideas. Not enough water? The room it’s in is around 80f all the time humidity 40. It was a shade grown palm and outside it got cooked so I brought it in a month ago to recover and it had been doing awesome. It also gets misted many times a day and sometime I turn a humidifier on. 

DD9680E3-B996-4D87-A5DD-C7311638AD12.jpeg

I guess another note I was trying to let it dry out more between wateeings because I didn’t want to stress it out. I just lifted it up get very light. Maybe my last watering wasn’t enough and just drained out. So I just soaked the heck out of it and tons of bubbles came up through the soil. Usually I hurt my plants with too much water. Maybe this time not the case. 

I was very happy to see new healthy growth and this morning I was stunned. When I did buy the palm I put slow release fertilizer in. It was out side a week then brought in. So maybe fertilizer burn?

Last note. The new fronds have come up in the house. The palm is by a west window in the afternoon and evening very bright sunshine comes in that window and lights that palm up. So I wonder if the new fronds are getting sunburned. That new frond was facing the sun in the window so I just watered the palm which is in a 3 gallon pot very imensly since it hasn’t been done in a while and I rotated it. I kept the palm in a 3 gallon pot because it was getting burned and stressed and come fronds died. So I didn’t want to add more stress. Maybe I should pot up since there are 3 palms in the pot and it’s pretty big?

thanks everyone don’t mean to rant on. I originally thought this palm was toast but when I brought it in my palm room it turned around 

Long term humidity of 40% is too dry. This palm wants very high humidity and high heat. And direct sun through a window can burn - think of a magnifying glass. If you have triple palms in a 3g, you should consider up-potting. There may no be enough soil in that little pot for all those roots. I'm not fond of jamming multiple solitary palms into one pot but I hesitate to advise you to separate them for fear you may lose one or more then hate me for it. While they are dime a dozen here, I know you paid good money for yours. I'm not sure how root sensitive Adonidias are so maybe someone more knowledgable than I can advise you on that. But your 3 palms will continue to compete for water & nutrients and the weaker one(s) may die or end up stunted.

Your palms may grow better if put back outside in summer heat, rain & humidity. Start them in shade and gradually introduce them to increasing periods of sun over several weeks. When acclimated they can take full FL sun, which is more ferocious than what they will face in Canada.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Long term humidity of 40% is too dry. This palm wants very high humidity and high heat. And direct sun through a window can burn - think of a magnifying glass. If you have triple palms in a 3g, you should consider up-potting. There may no be enough soil in that little pot for all those roots. I'm not fond of jamming multiple solitary palms into one pot but I hesitate to advise you to separate them for fear you may lose one or more then hate me for it. While they are dime a dozen here, I know you paid good money for yours. I'm not sure how root sensitive Adonidias are so maybe someone more knowledgable than I can advise you on that. But your 3 palms will continue to compete for water & nutrients and the weaker one(s) may die or end up stunted.

Your palms may grow better if put back outside in summer heat, rain & humidity. Start them in shade and gradually introduce them to increasing periods of sun over several weeks. When acclimated they can take full FL sun, which is more ferocious than what they will face in Canada.

Thank you for feedback. I have no problem putting it outside again. Right now we are very humid. I just wanted it out of the sun a bit to recover and to tell you the truth. I thought it was going to die. So I bought another one. They come in pots of 3s and only cost 24 bux us here from my nursery so not expensive at all but doesn’t matter I still care for all my palms equally   And maybe your right that direct sun coming in the window at night. Could be burning it. I will pot it up and find it a nice spot out side 

funny thing in current pot size. It won’t stand up in a breeze anyway 

Edited by Rickybobby

I agree with Meg on the idea of potting your Adonidia up to a larger pot. These are pretty fast growers here for me and I live in upstate N.Y. (in the adirondacks mts). I keep them inside during the colder months with full sunlight along with supplimentary lighting(9000 lumens LED lights for 18 hrs a day). Humidifiers are a must, old Victorian house with radiators. Of course mine being from seed also helps as they are more acclimated to my conditions. I also keep other palms clustered together which gives some enough light without burning and also helps with the humidity.

But as of current season, most of my palms have been put out in a shaded area and gradually moved into more light as permitted. As a fertilizer I use palmgain, I've had no burn or problems with it at all, but that is a matter of choice, and Jack's (Peters) triple 20 on other plants in and around my house, great for foliar feeding.

Mark

Edited by Mostapha
Added content

2 hours ago, Mostapha said:

I agree with Meg on the idea of potting your Adonidia up to a larger pot. These are pretty fast growers here for me and I live in upstate N.Y. (in the adirondacks mts). I keep them inside during the colder months with full sunlight along with supplimentary lighting(9000 lumens LED lights for 18 hrs a day). Humidifiers are a must, old Victorian house with radiators. Of course mine being from seed also helps as they are more acclimated to my conditions. I also keep other palms clustered together which gives some enough light without burning and also helps with the humidity.

But as of current season, most of my palms have been put out in a shaded area and gradually moved into more light as permitted. As a fertilizer I use palmgain, I've had no burn or problems with it at all, but that is a matter of choice, and Jack's (Peters) triple 20 on other plants in and around my house, great for foliar feeding.

Mark

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately a lot of chemicals you guys use across the border aren’t available here. So I have to compromise. I am wondering if it’s sunburn on the palm I have moved it away from direct light near that window. Potted it up

Definitely sunburn just slowly adjust it back into the sun.Same thing happened with my Parlor Palm and it has new green fronds.

Pretty much exactly what Meg said. These things need SUN SUN SUN and very high humidity.  They are much more of a true tropical palm, and do not do well in doors in low humidity / light.   If I were to be bluntly honest, Im not sure of what, if any, long term success you will have with them that far north short of an actual greenhouse where you can keep it very warm and very high humidity throughout your harsh winters.  Good luck with it though! If you work hard at keeping it in a very bright room with very high temps and humidity throughout winter you might be able to get a few years out of it.  

• 3 weeks later...

I grow 9 of these. I live on the other side of the "pond". I think you'll find that they're sensitive to acclimation. During the winter with it being super dry I've never had any issues with any of them. I've used different soils for some of them. Mine get at least 7 hours of supplemented light everyday. Ease the plant into a steady source of light and water routinely. I'll reiterate that even a very very dry winter with proper waterings and supplemental light should be just fine to see growth out of the plant until the warm humid months come back again and you can start fertilizing and soaking out the soil as much as you'd like. You should absolutely be able to get as many years as you'd desire out of the plant. You're very lucky to find them available to you locally as well. I remember I bought my wee little blades of grass seedlings from the faraway land of puerto rico. Pretty cool in my mind. I used local sand from lake ontario and mixed it in cheap potting mix for most of them. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So an update on my fried adonidia  it was in the basement in a warm room where it started pushing new spears so as you guys suggested I brought it back outside. Except it is under shelter of a covered porch so it gets sun but not hot mid day sun and it has been loving it and you can see on the change here out on finally a rainy day here 

845D34AB-633B-43B9-9C52-DA8D775DF713.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Looks good now. You should keep your Adonidias outdoors as long as you have warm, humid weather. They will spend many months in your basement as it is.

Meg

Florida

50 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Looks good now. You should keep your Adonidias outdoors as long as you have warm, humid weather. They will spend many months in your basement as it is.

Your right. It just had gotten so sun. Burned when I brought it home that there was nothing left so I put it in reduced light and took good care of it and it responded well. My wife wasn’t too impressed but how many potted palms I had so I kinda hid it in my grow room. (She doesn’t go in there very often lol) the nursery wanted me to buy a 7 gallon but I love watching them grow and eventually some day may not have room for them luckily I have 9 ft ceilings 

53 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Look at it this way 90 percent of people who buy them up here will kill them by first winter. At least they have a good home and I try my best 

I have 5 pots of triples as well as a hand full if singles grown from seed. I reside in upstate N.Y. have had no problems as of yet. Very fast growing from seed, at least compared to some that take months to germinate. I'm feel assured with proper care they should be fine. I think you will do ok. During the drier darker parts of winter I use humidifiers and LED lights to suppliment. 

Thanks Mark

6 hours ago, Mostapha said:

I have 5 pots of triples as well as a hand full if singles grown from seed. I reside in upstate N.Y. have had no problems as of yet. Very fast growing from seed, at least compared to some that take months to germinate. I'm feel assured with proper care they should be fine. I think you will do ok. During the drier darker parts of winter I use humidifiers and LED lights to suppliment. 

Thanks Mark

I have a ton of led grow lights and a humidifier as well. The basement is damper of course and I’m sure this will help I also have been experimenting with an anti transparent which seems to work well

if my coconut can survive than anything can

Both of you are willing to go over and above to keep these tropical healthy over long months of winter. The average person wouldn’t bother. Kudos to you.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On 8/9/2018, 6:36:33, PalmatierMeg said:

Both of you are willing to go over and above to keep these tropical healthy over long months of winter. The average person wouldn’t bother. Kudos to you.

LoL. Please expound what you mean by "average" person.  Please include the aforementioned  "average person's" geographic location. 

Haha

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)