IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Coconut in London

John in Andalucia

On 8/5/2020 at 7:39 PM, sandgroper said:

remove their "less-than-majestic-looking Bismarckia nobilis"

Well that is a phrase that you don't hear every day. :o

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

13 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Hmm, not sure what s going on here but I never wrote that .

No mate,  you did not write that, You quoted John in Andalucia who said that earlier,

I should have used the original quote from John, not from where you quoted him.

He is probably right, the Bizzy at Kew Gardens is probably less than majestic.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:37 PM, John in Andalucia said:

Cheers! I appreciate the comments. 

Nice looking palm I have one I brought over from Cuba, not sure what variety it is but I’m assuming it’s not one of those mini palms , I bought it home in January it sprouted in February , this is where it’s at now 

C71578E7-238F-4E1D-ACFD-51D0D8671D89.jpeg

image.jpg

On 12/6/2020 at 1:37 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

what is the temperature in the conservatory where the coconut lives? temperature December January ...

Probably 12 Celsius. Right now, it's 5C outdoors and 13C inside the conservatory. Soil temperature is 14.5C

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2020 at 8:12 AM, gtsteve said:

Yeah, that's me being British.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:09 AM, gtsteve said:

He is probably right, the Bizzy at Kew Gardens is probably less than majestic.

It's an odd choice to have in an overcrowded, humid tropical palm house IMO. The temperate house is more suited to Mediterranean palms and has way more light.

On 12/8/2020 at 2:14 PM, Spiro said:

Nice looking palm I have one I brought over from Cuba, not sure what variety it is but I’m assuming it’s not one of those mini palms , I bought it home in January it sprouted in February , this is where it’s at now 

C71578E7-238F-4E1D-ACFD-51D0D8671D89.jpeg

image.jpg

Hi Spiro, Welcome to PalmTalk.

I read that Coconut palms in Middle America are mostly of the Pacific variety, whereas Caribbean palms belong to the Indian group. So yours may be an 'Indian Tall' variety.

17 ore fa, John in Andalucia ha detto:

Probabilmente 12 gradi Celsius. In questo momento, è 5 ° C all'aperto e 13 ° C all'interno del giardino d'inverno. La temperatura del suolo è di 14,5 ° C

incredibile che cresca a quella temperatura, 14 gradi sono bassissimi per una noce di cocco ... io tengo sempre il mio a 20 ° ...:o

Here is my coconut tree that I donated to a tropical house some years ago here in the province of canton Lucerne. I brought it from the Philippines in 2008 as a sprouted seed.

f6t1368p57969n2_WmrwUTFC.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

@jonh ask confirmation that your coconut grows and vegetates at a temperature of 13 degrees in the winter house greenhouse? it seems very strange to me ... so was the orange variety cultivar and therefore more resistant to low temperatures than the green cocos?

A few weeks ago, i bought a second seedling Cocos which i had placed in an unheated bedroom with temperatures around 17C, but it died very quick. (Total browning of the Cocos)

Edited by MelvinB
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MelvinB said:

Qualche settimana fa, ho comprato una seconda piantina Cocos che avevo messo in una camera da letto non riscaldata con temperature intorno ai 17 ° C, ma è morta molto velocemente. (Doratura totale dei Cocos)

hello melvin in fact I don't understand how an orange cocos can grow at 13 degrees ... maybe the colors are more resistant to cold? I'm trying to understand ... why a coconut with day and night temperatures at 13 degrees died in a short time ...

10 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

hello melvin in fact I don't understand how an orange cocos can grow at 13 degrees ... maybe the colors are more resistant to cold? I'm trying to understand ... why a coconut with day and night temperatures at 13 degrees died in a short time ...

From what i know, the Panama/Pacific Tall variety is the most cold hardy. 

Ofcourse, it depends on size also. 

Edited by MelvinB

@MelvinB melvin I have also read that the tall the most tolerant to cold ... the jamaican tall the least ... we are waiting for confirmation from jonh that his orange coconut grows at 13 degrees of daily temperatures ... if so I will look for a quality orange to grow here in Italy ...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aleitalyyy said:

@MelvinB   hi here's my coconut today .. I would be curious to see your alfredii as it proceeds, mine is still very small ...

@Stelios my coconut green

16095958930804879339589839823576.jpg

16095959282752121318179530918908.jpg

16095960175014115275626210483856.jpg

Here is my B. Alfredii in my bedroom during this winter. It’s still sending out new spears/leaves.

7968B42C-CC40-4465-B37F-71B63A03651E.jpeg

00898A66-5875-43BF-AECB-B958608FA1E1.jpeg

Edited by MelvinB
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aleitalyyy said:

@MelvinB   hi here's my coconut today .. I would be curious to see your alfredii as it proceeds, mine is still very small ...

@Stelios my coconut green

16095958930804879339589839823576.jpg

16095959282752121318179530918908.jpg

16095960175014115275626210483856.jpg

Looking great Alessandro.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 22:20, John in Andalucia said:

Probabilmente 12 gradi Celsius. In questo momento ci sono 5C all'aperto e 13C all'interno del giardino d'inverno. La temperatura del suolo è 14.5C

hello jhon how are you? put an update of your orange cocos?