IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Repotted my DoomsDave Chamaedorea Radicalis

Subwoofer

Just a heads up and a thanks too DoomsDave, i've repotted my radicalis today and maybe they grow a little faster now :)

Can't wait for my own seed on these.

IMG_20180604_160814.jpg

• Upvote 5

Must be something in the air because I also repotted my radicalis seeds from Doomsdave today (along with a bunch of other seedlings). 

7DEA9C4C-7284-4622-907F-AC42B841EC78.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Yeah Im about to do the same tomorrow or Wednesday.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Hahaha, we palmpeople think alike i guess. :lol: My last batch isn't so succesfull, i think i overwatered them a little. :blush:

Yours are looking great paddym! B)

Doomsdave's palms are taking over the world and youtube, check this one out:

https://youtu.be/xdLXiFEknLg

Edited by Subwoofer

Well that's nice to see!

Keep them well-watered, but let them dry a bit between waterings. They'll take low light, but do a lot better with more, even full sun.

Be warned that most Chamadoreas aren't that sun-tolerant.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Anyone have any more?

I'm anxious to see the fate of my (many many) babies . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Anyone have any more?

Been super busy but have a remote work days this Thursday and Friday. So my biggest ones will be potted up and fed.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Cold hardy Chams?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

2 hours ago, Howeadypsis said:

Cold hardy Chams?

Very, mine took 16F this past winter in a ice storm with zero damage & are flowering like crazy.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

Very, mine took 16F this past winter in a ice storm with zero damage & are flowering like crazy.

Is there a size where they get more hardy like trachycarpus? Was aiming for 2019 to plant mine but could wait longer.

I have a pot of seedlings I forgot about during the winter, they are all alive and doing well.

Here I left a pic of one of many I repotted 1 month ago. It’s about 1 year old. They spent the winter outside without a blink.

6F46B838-D6A1-4F19-AAB1-49C3DF20A875.thu

• Upvote 2

08053.gif

Chams of Doom defying their heritage of Doom. :badday:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 5-6-2018 20:43:00, DoomsDave said:

Well that's nice to see!

Keep them well-watered, but let them dry a bit between waterings. They'll take low light, but do a lot better with more, even full sun.

Be warned that most Chamadoreas aren't that sun-tolerant.

Thanks, i have noticed this too, i will try to give them some more light! But actually i can't complain about the growing speed. B) thx for the advice!

• Upvote 1

@DoomsDave Just potted them up and fed them save for 4. One was put in my pineapple test pot, and 3 are still in the cell.

20180609_183117.thumb.jpg.49a5b41d368915

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2018, 1:48:30, Subwoofer said:

Hahaha, we palmpeople think alike i guess. :lol: My last batch isn't so succesfull, i think i overwatered them a little. :blush:

Yours are looking great paddym! B)

Doomsdave's palms are taking over the world and youtube, check this one out:

https://youtu.be/xdLXiFEknLg

Thats my video lol! New channel for plants and grass stuff!

• Upvote 1

Great, plants are looking good! I have one that starts to make a split leaf now, checking it every day now, lol :blush::rolleyes:

i'll share and subscribe when i get home. Not enough palm videos too find on youtube, glad too find these!

I might make my own channel some day, if my garden looks better ^_^

• Upvote 1

Just my way of cataloging and tracking progress of what does and doesn't work. Right now my garden is still very much reeling from winter so it doesn't look too good. My hope is come august I'll have enough growth to finally cut away the really bad looking fronds, but my #1 rule is never cut anything green.

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2018, 8:27:52, DoomsDave said:

Anyone have any more?

I grew these from seed you sent me last spring. Most of the babies have been gifted away to friends and family across Colorado and Kansas City;  these are the ones that remain in my care.  

1529072390041-494293476.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Looking great! I do wonder if these can take more wet or they prefer more drought? So fast draining or normal potting soil?

40 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Probably around 10 years from seed. They have been seeding for the last 4-5 years.

I was about to ask how old also. Mine seem to be doing okay but just painstakingly slow. These will be a great foundation/accent if I were to design a tropical themed yard in my marginal zone one day.

16 hours ago, Laaz said:

And these had no protection at all when we had that night of 16F.

Nice, very healthy and exotic-looking for a zone 8 palm (though I know you're in zone 9a).

• Upvote 1

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Wow, 10 years that's a long time.:blink: 16f thats pretty cold, these might survive my zone.

You have tried to sow the seed you got from them and do you get truncking forms sometimes?

Mine grow pretty normal, but they are in a green house and i give them some fertilizer every 2 weeks or so.

I think i might be able to pull off 2 leafs in 1 summer and they only 1 year old.

They are mixed, some are the "king kong" I got from Perry. Yes the seeds are fertile I sprout them every year. They are flowering now & continue flowering until Dec. most years.

• Upvote 1

Great, must be alot of fun to be able to grow these every year. Pretty easy to germinate too.

I have one final question :blush::lol: would these polinate indoors too if i had multiple plants, or would i have to hand polinate these to get seeds? Thx

As long as you have male & female plants. You can pull off a male flower & rub it on the female or use a fan...

• Upvote 1

Ah great, thats what im gonna do then.

Can'twait to pull of my male flower :lol: thx !