IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought Continues

Palm crazy

The total rain for the month or May has been 0.12 inches...drought continues, I've had the sprinklers on twice a week to keep plants happy. Temperature have been 10 degrees above normal for the first three weeks of the month. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Sounds like the continent decided to trade places.  We've had record rainfall, and due to cloud cover, below average temperatures.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Hey, guess what? ...It raining this late afternoon. It started out as spotty light rain and now it is coming down pretty good. Will have the new total for the month next morning. Of course, it starting raining after I turned the sprinklers off for the day, LOL! 

Edited by Palm crazy

Yesterday's little rain storm lasted about 30 minutes and we got a total of 0.09 more inches of rain, making the total for May 0.24 inches, normal is at least two inches so the drought continues. June is supposed to be hotter and drier than normal will see what happens. 

17 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Sounds like the continent decided to trade places.  We've had record rainfall, and due to cloud cover, below average temperatures.

Us too! We even had some bad flooding as one storm dropped between 5 and 10in in a few hours! We are living mostly in overcast so instead of 80s and 90s its 70s and 80s and extra muggy. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we are going to be ok this spring. Yesterday received 0.59 inches of rain on Friday and with some rain showers this weekend. Next weekend will be in the upper 80's so things should really take off now after this rain event and heat. June is typically rain and sun and some of my rarer plants only grow in June and September because of the heat and rain. Thank goodness no more watering this week at all. :D

• Upvote 1

Here in the PNW, we have been mostly above temps this spring but now we are actually getting our first long-term heatwave. And it's two-three weeks earlier than normal. Normal temps in June are low 70's so this heat is greatly needed for a few heat-loving plants I have in pots.  Hottest day so far this spring has only been 87F, so some 90F would be nice. LOL!  These nighttime temps are from the airport where is cooler at night. 

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wa/olympia/KWAOLYMP145?cm_ven=localwx_10day

Edited by Palm crazy

Sounds like things are going your way, @Palm crazy

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

40 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Sounds like things are going your way, @Palm crazy

Yes, The garden is doing great this year. Early gingers are blooming and Butia palms are starting to grow. These above normal temps are supposed to last till December, that's not to say it won't get cooler, just the averages will be above normal. 

Bring on the Heat! :D And sunshine! 

15 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

State high on June15th was 78 in Pasco!!!??!!  Yikes!

That's pretty cool for Pasco but now the heat is on for a while anyway. July 4th is usually when the western side gets in the heat also and August is the warmest here. Nothing like Texas heat though, lol. I'll be back into the mid 70's by next week in western WA. :lol: Remember its very green and lush here pretty much all year thanks to not getting too hot for super long periods. 

Today is the beginning of the hot days in W.WA, 88F for a few days anyways then back to nice gardening weather in the mid 70's. LOL! I wonder if my neck of the woods will see a super hot day above 104F this summer, that's my record. In E.WA the record is 118F. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Guess what they said on the News last night that we really didn't have a real heat wave because it only lasted a few days and no temps above 90F. But look out July is almost here and that's when it really gets interesting. Still nice to have temps in the mid to upper 80's this week. Back to the 70's come Thursday this week....that's more comfortable gardening weather. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

The June gloom is finally over, that means we have a lot of cloudy mild day.  June rain total was 0.70".  Now that we are in the dryest part of the summer July & August rain total for those months is usually a trace or less than an inch.  So now you see why were sometimes refer as cool Mediterranean climate. July and August are the hottest and sunniest month. 

Edited by Palm crazy

@Palm crazy While I love living here, 77F and sunny sounds a lot more comfortable than weeding my garden in 95F with 80%+ humidity.  Cool Mediterranean climate for the win (in summer).

Lakeland, FL

29 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Palm crazy While I love living here, 77F and sunny sounds a lot more comfortable than weeding my garden in 95F with 80%+ humidity.  Cool Mediterranean climate for the win (in summer).

You can't bet the summer here, it so nice an comfortable. July -August are the only months that we actually stay in the 80's and even low 90's. About three weeks for each month. With one week in the upper 70's. September it can be 90F one day and 75F the next. LOL! Can't even imagine being in the 90's for 6 months like you guys and gals have. I guess you get used to it, But I do love your warmer nights. I've only had the AC on a few time so far this year. It does get pretty hot here in August thou. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just like the SW and TX we here in the PNW are still in a drought this month, again. No rain this month at all again. Total for July is 0.07" This trend is supposed to lasts till mid-October. But you never know, maybe a thunderstorm will pop up and give us a sprinkle in August or for sure in September. Good news is next week will be much cooler and comfortable. I've been watering palms every three days in the heat and newly planted bromeliads a little every day to get them to root. ;)

Edited by Palm crazy