IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Flash Flood in Ellicott City, Maryland

DoomsDave

Whoa.

I saw the news reports about Ellicott City Maryland, and below is what appears to be an image taken during the rain that swept through the place. It's at the confluence of four creeks, so water water everywhere.

Slide 15 of 27: Flooding is seen in Ellicott City, Maryland, U.S. May 27, 2018, in this still image from video from social media.5b0ec97b1239e_ELLICOTTCITYMARYLANDDURING

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think one person got swept away by it.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I think one person got swept away by it.

Yes, alas.

Not looking good, though miracles can happen.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A terrible thing. I went there about 8 years ago with our son and family. It's a very old & charming town with a 3-block historic district of period homes, antique shops, boutiques & restaurants. The downtown is surrounded by rocky outcrops and bordered by a river. I remember railroad tracks and a trestle paralleled the narrow road through town. If your house is up one of those cliffs you might be okay but if your property is in the historic district downtown you are a target for floods. The place was flooded out less than two years and now this. Makes me sad.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sadly, no miracle this time..  was found yesterday and was a Natl. guardsman.  

While some media outlets have reported rainfall rates ranging between 6-8" over the course of the event, others list rainfall rates of 10-12+ inches in under 3 hours which is staggering. 

Lots of great info / links avail on the history of this event, and the many other past events that have occurred in this location on Bob Henson's twitter page. 

Currently following a flood emergency situ. in Alabama atm...

Flood plains are scary, all that run off from higher elevations is like a dam burst in extreme events such as this.

A few years ago we had a similar rain event here, 13 inches of rain in 3 hours, but this is a flat island so the flooding was nowhere near as bad.

8 hours ago, cm05 said:

Flood plains are scary, all that run off from higher elevations is like a dam burst in extreme events such as this.

A few years ago we had a similar rain event here, 13 inches of rain in 3 hours, but this is a flat island so the flooding was nowhere near as bad.

For sure.. 

Whats scarier are the flash floods that can occur here in AZ (..or pretty much anywhere across the Southwest) during our summer Monsoon season.  An entire family was killed last summer during a freak event up near Payson. Absolutely no warning either and because that part of the state is more remote, ( up in the mountains, just below the rim) any phone alerts that could have been issued, wouldn't have reached the victims, let alone others who were effected. 

Even crazier was the recent Tropical system that hit Oman.. 2ft of rain from 1 storm = 8  ..YEARS.... worth their normal rainfall.  The pictures i saw on various twitter feeds i follow were stunning, to say the least.. I can't imagine what 2ft of rain out of a single storm would do here across Phoenix. Didn't take much to flood the i-10 back in 2014.
Even a quick 1/2"  downpour can be enough to shut down roads here during the summer.. 

This year could be interesting since many of the long range weather models seem to be honing in on a wetter than average Monsoon across the state and western N.M / Southern CA... Could also be a wet start to fall if the Pacific Hurricane season ends up more active this year as well.. ( Models also suggesting this as well att) 

Spent the weekend cleaning 2-4+ years worth of accumulated mud and debris out of the Gutter that drains off the roof / back patio of the house, just in case. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds worse than Johnstown, Pennsylvania.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Sounds worse than Johnstown, Pennsylvania.

Johnstown flooded on a "30% chance" of rain in '77 if I remember correctly.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

44 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Johnstown flooded on a "30% chance" of rain in '77 if I remember correctly.

Yes, this particular event occurred in 1977 and killed 84. The first event occurred in 1889 after a dam collapse, killing 2,208.  The 1977 flash flood was also the result of dam failures after those areas had received  nearly 12" of rainfall in 10 hours due to stalled ( training ) thunderstorms over the area.. In this event, 30 Mil. Gallons of water would be released.. In 1889,  it is estimated that 20,000,000 Tons of water was unleashed. At the time, the Nat. WX Service estimated that such an event should occur an average of less than 1 in 1,000 years.. 1977 came 88 years after the 1889 event.. 

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yes, this particular event occurred in 1977 and killed 84. The first event occurred in 1889 after a dam collapse, killing 2,208.  The 1977 flash flood was also the result of dam failures after those areas had received  nearly 12" of rainfall in 10 hours due to stalled ( training ) thunderstorms over the area.. In this event, 30 Mil. Gallons of water would be released.. In 1889,  it is estimated that 20,000,000 Tons of water was unleashed. At the time, the Nat. WX Service estimated that such an event should occur an average of less than 1 in 1,000 years.. 1977 came 88 years after the 1889 event..

I grew up and went to college in that area.  Glad I moved :)

Lakeland, FL

I live 30min from there. We got about 6in and they got almost 10in in just a few hours. A national guardsman got swept away saving somebody and they recovered him a few days ago. Sad. 

Ellicott city is a flood plain and the surrounding areas are over developed so its a recipe for disaster when we get a good mess of rain.

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 1 month later...

My wife and I lived on Old Columbia Pike (that emptied on to Main Street Ellicott City), about one mile south of the city, from 1985 to 1997 (when we pulled up anchor and moved to good ole Florida!). The land all around the main part of the city slopes/sheds down to Main Street (where all the flooding was). The Patapsco River runs just along the east side of the city to further exacerbate the flooding. But Hurricane Agnes (in 1972) probably flooded the town more than this latest flood. 

I remember when the first time I visited Ellicott City, it reminded me of some rural town in West Virginia, western Maryland, with all it's old historic stone buildings. My house was backed up to rural property. I liked it there when I first moved there. But development got out of hand. The city and surrounding area was quickly losing its charm. Taxes, crime, drugs, etc. where continually rising. I had finally had enough of it. My wife and I sold our home and we moved to Florida  -- and never looked back! Best move we ever made.

The movie The Goddess (starring Patty Duke) was partially filmed in Ellicott City, along with other movies -- not that that cuts any ice.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?locations=Ellicott%20City,%20Maryland,%20USA&ref_=ttloc_loc_1

And, lest I forget, just before we moved, a house just up the road (the owner must have been in the nursery business) actually planted a trunked coconut palm in his front yard -- with coconuts on it! I guess it was just an annual. Also, another guy farther up the road had a Trachycarpus fortunei (with about 8 feet of trunk) planted in his yard. I didn't know about this palm when I lived there, but only learned about it from the owner when we crossed paths on the Hardy Palm and Subtropical board aobut 15 years ago. This guy remembered where I lived and recalled seeing all the banana plants, canna lilies, elephant ears, and potted patio palms I was growing. Small world, as they say.

Mad about palms

That's crazy how small it is! Heck we may have even bumped into each other. I run into howard county folks all over. Wife wanted EC, but I nixed that idea QUICK! We are in eastern Mount airy and it's a much better and warmer area that will do for now. I too have Florida plans lol.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

My son and family are moving to Ellicott City for his new job. But his house is located way upstream from the historic downtown.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

20 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

That's crazy how small it is! Heck we may have even bumped into each other. I run into howard county folks all over. Wife wanted EC, but I nixed that idea QUICK! We are in eastern Mount airy and it's a much better and warmer area that will do for now. I too have Florida plans lol.

I think I talked to you here at Palmtalk some years ago and we discussed Mt. Airy. My wife's brother used to live in Mt. Airy when I lived in Ellicott City.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

35 minutes ago, Walt said:

I think I talked to you here at Palmtalk some years ago and we discussed Mt. Airy. My wife's brother used to live in Mt. Airy when I lived in Ellicott City.

I do believe we did! Wife looked in Marriotsville and EC but in the alley that comes down from PA that’s a solid 6B. Glad I pushed her for a warmer area, although Mount Airy proper is cooler than we are but both in town and us are solid 7A (feel like it should be higher). 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth