IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ovobontsira

Bill Austin

So Bill - what have we decided? Is this the same palm? Will the real D. ovobontsira please stand up?

P1010086_Dypsis_ovobontsira.JPG

• Upvote 4

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

They sure look different!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm with Bill on this. Looks quite different.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

No way that this is the same palm as ovobontsira unless it goes through some serious morphological switches and muscles out at some point, ovobontsira is just what it came in as from RPS... but it is definitely distinct tho. I was looking at seedlings today and many of them have split into two (from the same heel). when i showed this to kinnaly, she showed me a 1gal plant that had split into three!!!

Nicely grown Bill! Beautiful specimen 

On 5/22/2018, 8:52:45, BS Man about Palms said:

They sure look different!

I'll take one of each and wait to see what happens over time :D, but I have to agree with "BS" Bill.  Thanks Dean for sharing the type photo.  I have a small one acquired as D. ovobontsira planted in the garden, so will be interesting to see which mine grows up to be someday.   It is Floribunda stock.  I don't think I will be disappointed if it turns out looking like either at some point.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Bill what a beautiful palm,

here is a shot of the one I got from Jeff about a year ago, hope it is the same as yours. Did you get yours from him? Do you know

if yours looked kinda like this when small. Sorry best shot I could get.

aloha

IMG_1345.jpg

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Tracy said:

Thanks Dean for sharing the type photo.

The habitat photo was IDed as D. ovo at the time. But I think there may be doubts now. And Colin's palm looks different still.

More Dypsteries I guess.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean, Wish someone would collect some seed from that habitat Ovo., always thought, no matter what it keys out to be, one of the coolest Dypsis ever. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2018, 8:02:30, Dypsisdean said:

Will the real D. ovobontsira please stand up?

3 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Dean, Wish someone would collect some seed from that habitat Ovo., always thought, no matter what it keys out to be, one of the coolest Dypsis ever. 

Have to agree that the way those petiole bases are held in the photo Dean shared is really a great look.  So chunky.  Dean your question sounds a bit like Eastern Intrigue by Todd Rundgren.  Based on Colin's comment this variety would be one of his "holy grail" palms if one were assured that what is purported to be D. ovo looked like the one in the photo.  Has anyone ever had a palm outside this habitat photo (labeled D ovo or not) grow to resemble it?  Obviously if the one in the photo isn't D ovo. it is still a much coveted palm.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Not sure if there were others that looked the same in habitat... now I wonder it is a hybrid? :bemused:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Have to agree that the way those petiole bases are held in the photo Dean shared is really a great look.  So chunky.  Dean your question sounds a bit like Eastern Intrigue by Todd Rundgren.  Based on Colin's comment this variety would be one of his "holy grail" palms if one were assured that what is purported to be D. ovo looked like the one in the photo.  Has anyone ever had a palm outside this habitat photo (labeled D ovo or not) grow to resemble it?  Obviously if the one in the photo isn't D ovo. it is still a much coveted palm.

That's pretty much why I started asking the question. I don't know if anyone has positively IDed that palm - or if anyone has an educated guess what it might/could be. But I don't see Bill's palm turning into it - but stranger things have happened when Dypsis start morphing through the juvenile stage. At any rate, I sure would like to get my hands on one.

• Upvote 3

Kona, on The Big Island

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎02‎:‎30‎, Dypsisdean said:

So Bill - what have we decided? Is this the same palm? Will the real D. ovobontsira please stand up?

:o

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B