IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Butia F1

swolf

Overcast, rainy Florida lately.  While it’s not as glossy as this photo makes it look, many JxB F1s have great form.  Once these start blooming I’ll need help if not a complete handoff for the distribution phase at this land property.  I have a silver/blue JxB that would probably be the best pollen donor for future generations.  

5 gallon bucket in the foreground.  Thick trunk will show better with another couple years of vertical growth.

Steve

D6019C71-BFDC-4CB3-AAD2-730F3D1B06B5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 9

Here’s a sibling (photo from last year) that has a somewhat different form.  Leaves are more recurving, so I suppose it leans toward Butia parent in that regard.  Still nice long leaves though, open stance.  Which form do you prefer?

Steve

P.S. Any with potential business interest/resources can PM me.  The JxBs haven’t bloomed just yet though... 

1CCD741B-C261-436F-92A4-C18C10498AF2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Swolte said:

Beauties! How old are these, approximately?

Thanks, they’re approx. ten years old.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Flow said:

Certainly two of the best JxB F1 I have ever seen!

+1!

Beauties.

• 1 year later...

Here’s an updated photo of one specimen.  I was going to use a vertical photo but it doesn’t look right in preview (?)  Ah, better off with nature’s landscape view anyway :-). Also, if anyone has a suggestion on good growers in Central/North Florida that I should reach out to about partnering on this 4.5 acre palm farm, please PM me.

9E576B91-64B8-4A5D-A195-D1560D793EB3.jpeg

• Like 4

And here’s a silvery JxB from a few months back — hard to locate these.  I think this one will need a little more growing time before flowering whereas larger green ones have begun flowering.

C0CC232E-402D-4F9D-BFFE-27ED0C59370D.jpeg

• Like 3

Absolutely stunning specimens :greenthumb: Ill definitely buy seeds or seedlings someday :yay:

T J 

On 6/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, swolf said:

And here’s a silvery JxB from a few months back — hard to locate these.

Yowsa!!   Specimens are spectacular!   Growing in the right zone/environment!    

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

what kind of fruit do these hybrids produce? I've read that Jubaea fruit are edible, but I don't do know to what degree.

If Jubaea is edible and odorata is definitely edible :hmm: ill take mine in a pie 

• Like 1

T J 

2 hours ago, Brian F. Austin said:

what kind of fruit do these hybrids produce? I've read that Jubaea fruit are edible, but I don't do know to what degree.

Jubaea fruit is tasty - similar to Butia odorata fruit but not as sweet.  They make wine from Jubaea fruit and it would probably make excellent pie or jelly.  :P  I'll bet the hybrid produces a large fruit with a large seed.

Jon Sunder

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Absolutely stunning specimens :greenthumb: Ill definitely buy seeds or seedlings someday :yay:

Are these hybrids fertile, able to produce fertile seed that will sprout without back crossing?

Edited by howfam

5 minutes ago, howfam said:

Are these hybrids fertile, able to produce fertile seed that with sprout without back crossing?

Im believe so cause i have heard of hybrids that use JxB to make other hybrids like JxB x Syagrus and such most likey Patrics work 

T J 

2 hours ago, howfam said:

Are these hybrids fertile, able to produce fertile seed that will sprout without back crossing?

J x B F1's have great inability to self fertilize. 

6 hours ago, Steve in Florida said:

J x B F1's have great inability to self fertilize. 

Well thats a bummer =/ 

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Well thats a bummer =/ 

Steve is correct , JxB and ((JxB)xB) are usually self sterile. Dr. Wilcox however did discover that (((JXB)XB)XB) will usually self seed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RJ said:

Steve is correct , JxB and ((JxB)xB) are usually self sterile. Dr. Wilcox however did discover that (((JXB)XB)XB) will usually self seed. 

Whoa !!! Where are all these hybrids at haha 

• Like 1

T J 

They're around. When you get the F3,F4... etc there is not a whole lot of jubaea blood left. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Whoa !!! Where are all these hybrids at haha 

I grow them.  Fastest palm hybrid I've ever grown.  They go from strap leaves to 6-7 feet tall in three years in pots.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steve in Florida said:

I grow them.  Fastest palm hybrid I've ever grown.  They go from strap leaves to 6-7 feet tall in three years in pots.

You grow them , but do you sell them ? :drool:

• Like 1

T J 

19 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

You grow them , but do you sell them ? :drool:

Yes, but I only have one or two left.  Are you interested in driving to Suwannee County, FL? :lol:

• Like 1

Just checked just over 12hr drive haha what sizes are left =) 

T J 

7 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Just checked just over 12hr drive haha what sizes are left =) 

They are six feet tall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3CF82076-CE15-430F-A00F-EB4EC97ECA50.thumb.jpeg.f30e8fe73f13b4b7fdb2c9a21d7d367e.jpegHere’s an example of a younger one.  Overdue to share with TexasColdHardyPalms from prior PM.  While these could be dug and sold one by one, I’m trying to locate a company in central/eastern Florida to exclusively partner (or purchase) on the whole collection.  Anyone have ideas on companies and a contact person?  I could list in the Palmtalk for sale but it’s such a geographically diverse audience.

This juvenile looks like it will have straighter leaves, more like its Jubaea mother.  Please pardon the weeds.

Steve

• Like 3

On 7/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Beautiful palm how old is it ? 

Hard to say, it was purchased years after the original group.  Maybe six years old?  That’s a guess.  Growth rates vary quite a bit, even between exact siblings.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 11:43 AM, swolf said:

Hard to say, it was purchased years after the original group.  Maybe six years old?  That’s a guess.  Growth rates vary quite a bit, even between exact siblings.

Well either way definitely seems like faster growth rate then a normal Jubaea =) 

T J 

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to share a 2023 photo.  This particular JxB has smaller proportions than most siblings but it does have attractive form and glaucous leaves.  Guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses 😏.  Besides, ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder.’

D1A43CC7-2B6D-427B-8E95-D3D749A96685.jpeg

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, swolf said:

Just wanted to share a 2023 photo.  This particular JxB has smaller proportions than most siblings but it does have attractive form and glaucous leaves.  Guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses 😏.  Besides, ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder.’

Wondering when you were going to show up. Great looking palms as always. Stunning 👍

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 6:43 PM, swolf said:

I find it good, the palm is beautiful 🙂

15 hours ago, SailorBold said:

20221227_122408.jpg

Palm is absolutely stunning. I would pay good money for it. 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

18 hours ago, SailorBold said:

20221227_122408.jpg

Did you realize that planter would become too small when you planted it? Holy ****!

Sorry not sorry

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jwitt said:

Did you realize that planter would become too small when you planted it? Holy ****!

Sorry not sorry

Lol.. no! I dont know what i was thinking..Its nowhere near as big as some others I've even seen here on palm talk.. but its alot bigger than it looks even being a juvenile.  It's still widening every year... the spread is approaching 14ft..!

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

20 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Palm is absolutely stunning. I would pay good money for it. 

T J 

Ty..  these hybrids are fun! It's definitely in my top 3 of all time favorites..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

6 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Ty..  these hybrids are fun! It's definitely in my top 3 of all time favorites..

I totally understand that statement I'm hoping my JxB once in the ground will flourish into something half as nice as yours !!! 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

• 1 month later...

Good lordy those are some absolutely beautiful palms! I was gifted one (BxJ or JxB, idk, is there much of a difference?) by Frank and Elaine when i bought a Mule and Super Mule from them last summer. Regardless of which one it is, it had a rootball that was the size of a seedling liner pot and now its in a 1.5+ gallon pot. The seedling has gone almost fully pinnate at this point. Its a wee bit small but its a good grower. Cant wait to get these hybrids in the ground!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa