IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Minor Seeds temp and time

Nj Palms

How do I germinate Sabal Minor seeds?Do I need heat or can I just leave them In my greenhouse and how long will it take?Share your experiences!What is the minimum temp they will germinate also!Any help appreciated!

Peel off the fruit if it is still attached.  After the fruit is peeled off, soak the seeds in water for 24-72 hours.  Sow them in a moist medium with heat at 90C.  They are erratic, so you might get your first one in 2 weeks... or it might be 6 months or more.  In some cases, the seed will sprout after a year in the ground.  With sabals you just never know.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Throw them on the ground & walk away... I am constantly pull them up & throwing them away.

33cua1x.jpg

• Upvote 2

They like heat, sun and rain. The hotter your temp the quicker they germinate. Here days are in the 90s and will be until mid-Oct. It's critical that coldhardy palms like Sabals get lots of summer heat and sun to better survive winter cold. Sabals were the first seeds I germinated in 2008 and are ideal for beginners. Still, they can take months to germinate so you must be patient.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 hours ago, Laaz said:

Throw them on the ground & walk away... I am constantly pull them up & throwing them away.

33cua1x.jpg

Why don’t you bag them up and sell them?

Less than six weeks to germinate them and we had cool weather for ever 

20180519_081314.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What were the temps max and min avg umbrae?Will min temps of 60 be fine and highs of 95 plus be fine to germinate them?Btw I just got the seeds and dehusked the mccurtain seeds and started soaking in water!Excited to have the begging of my Sabal Minor jungle!

On 5/18/2018, 8:06:15, Rickybobby said:

Why don’t you bag them up and sell them?

On 5/18/2018, 6:47:00, Laaz said:

33cua1x.jpg

Hope to have this in 10years lol!

First I soaked the seeds for a couple days. I used the baggy method on a hot water heater indoors in a storage room, though I don't think too much heat was coming off so not much heat to start. They were in a peat moss mix. I started them 4/2 and after about a month had one germinated with roots and vertical growth. The other seeds looked close to germinate but we'll see. They've been in a pot outside for the past couple weeks to get more heat and sun. Currently just the one has emerged; they were sold as the McCurtain variety.

• Upvote 1

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Soaked over night, 3 seeds to the hole. Six weeks we had spikes coming up here and there and by twelve weeks we had solid stand 

20180530_201547.jpg

20180530_201604.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I germinated some S. miamienais last year. If they are similar in need for germinating the person I bought them from said they like it HOT.

What worked really well for me was to put the seeds in a sealed Tupperware container with wet perlite and put it in my attic in the summer. They all popped after 3 or 4 weeks. I would check them every week. I was very pleased with the results. I wish I would have known that trick with my Sabal Riverside seeds.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.