IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus in Lakeland

kinzyjr

1 hour ago, chad2468emr said:

@Eric in Orlando Where along the turnpike have you seen these? I don't drive on the turnpike often, but I'd love to see that. 

There are some planted where the Turnpike intersects the 408/East West Expressway. I think there are also some at the giant Turnpike/429/Hwy50 intersection. Also some further south around the Turkey Lake area.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 2/22/2021 at 11:40 AM, chad2468emr said:

Maaaaaaaaaan, you know, as soon as I had posted it I was like "Wait... theres no fuzzies on that trunk. That crown is huge, and those leaf bases are really uniform. It might be copernicia." and now I've lost some street cred on my palm ID skills! In the defense of my bruised ego, most of my palm ID skills were developed in South Florida and finding them down there is certainly a rarity to say the least, haha. 

@kinzyjr I think this was at the intersection of County Line Rd and Frontage Road S. There was this one and one with an even larger crown in the parking lot. May have been more I'd missed as well.

@Eric in Orlando Where along the turnpike have you seen these? I don't drive on the turnpike often, but I'd love to see that. 

Out towards Clermont. The plantings are top notch. 

• 3 months later...

I’ve got two trachycarpus fortunei at my front gates that I planted when they we’re a foot high, there now 8ft 15 years later, this is in north FL, an hr west of Gainesville.

I also bought some in huge 25 gallon pots that have just sat there & actually shrunk in size, I actually dig one up yesterday & replanted back in a pot to see if starts growing, had them ones 5 years at least

• Like 1

@Nugger Welcome to PalmTalk!  Do you have any photos of them?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 11 months later...

These are still doing fine and flowering.

20220516_193019_Trachycarpus_fortunei_upl.jpg

20220516_193006_Trachycarpus_fortunei_flowers_upl.jpg

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 3 months later...

These are still doing well.  The furthest one from the road seems to be doing the best.

20220917_Trachycarpus_fortunei_01.jpg.32f23cab744ddc9b3dac914e1c8f6b35.jpg

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

18 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

These are still doing well.  The furthest one from the road seems to be doing the best.

20220917_Trachycarpus_fortunei_01.jpg.32f23cab744ddc9b3dac914e1c8f6b35.jpg

Some of the ones in London look more messy than that after the dry warm summer. Must be the higher rainfall that keeps them looking good.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/16/2018 at 2:16 PM, Ciczi in Sweden said:

thats probably why my Trachys like it at my place. Very much clay and I have improved the soil with lots of mulch and "fluff" :)

Sandy soil is not the problem .Windmill palms love many soil types, even sandy. The problem is nematodes love sandy soil in tropical areas.  If you understand nematodes enough to restrict their presence, then you're golden.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A little better than a year later, the one in the front was removed even though it wasn't unhealthy.  The other two continue to flower and fruit, even with the landscaping crew over-trimming them.  There are no volunteers since this area is maintained frequently.

20231112_170812_Trachycarpus_fortunei.jpg.3efb4c34b4836ac28680816d0804124f.jpg

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Tagged for interest, I am really struggling to understand the whole nematodes thing. I have concrete throughout my backyard I even have a small planting area surrounded by concrete is that the area I would try to plant my potted Trachys?

14 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Tagged for interest, I am really struggling to understand the whole nematodes thing. I have concrete throughout my backyard I even have a small planting area surrounded by concrete is that the area I would try to plant my potted Trachys?

The concrete apparently helps.  I have about a dozen of these in small sizes and many of them are not in an area overloaded with concrete.  In the case of my garden, it may just be the soil regime in the area is less friendly to them.  If you do give them a trial run there, they'll probably do better as understory plants.  This is one of mine in dappled afternoon sun under the edge canopy of an oak.  It's somewhat close to the house, so some concrete within 15 feet, but not a bed mulched with concrete or anything.

image.jpeg.95b83ca4c5f7a1f2bcdafe7aa87a3d20.jpeg

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL