IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spiny palms in pots, show us your monster!

GrumpyGrower

Hello palm lovers,

I have to say, these palms are not too much favorite but I think they deserve it! :) Show us your spiny palms, here is my Verschaffeltia splendida:received_1924226417596878.thumb.jpeg.ac8

Seed came from my friend in Singapore, I have to say, it is one of the fastest palms in pots and spines are very dangerous!received_1924226017596918.thumb.jpeg.703

Happy growing palm lovers 

• Upvote 5

I got 10 Verschaffeltia splendida seeds from Thailand. Two have germinated so far. I will have to keep them potted on dollies to roll indoors as necessary. This species is way too cold sensitive to be planted in my climate. I see they are really spiny right form the start. Have to break out the leather gloves.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@Pal Meir 

And how big pot does it have? I have some Ptychosperma sp from Canary Islands and they are really slow. Yours is perfect

@PalmatierMeg

Can I ask where did you buy? I saw many Thailand sellers offer seeds on eBay. Gloves after year will be necessary. This palm from Seychelles has to be protected from a giant turtle, that's why it does have these incredible spines after germination and with trunk the spines are gone. So don't eat seedlings as the turtle! :D

I want to share another spiny monster:

Salacca zalacca. This one is from salak - snake fruit. It will have 2 years soon.received_1922146897804830.thumb.jpeg.c5a

Close look on spines:received_1922146954471491.thumb.jpeg.4f6

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi!

My offering is Acanthophoenix Rubra. Grows slowly, and I tend to bring it in on the coolest winter nights.... otherwise it's doing ok for me...

20180506_093733-774x1032.thumb.jpg.f4287

Prickly!

20180506_093743-774x1032.thumb.jpg.090de

;)

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, GrumpyGrower said:

@Jan Jo 

This one looks fantastic, I must search for some seeds, wow! How old it is?

Thanks! I too ordered this one from the Canary Islands as a small seedling about 5 years ago now... grows steadily but pretty slowly as you can see. I thought it would be more tender, from what I'd read about them...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GrumpyGrower said:

Can I ask where did you buy? I saw many Thailand sellers offer seeds on eBay. Gloves after year will be necessary. This palm from Seychelles has to be protected from a giant turtle, that's why it does have these incredible spines after germination and with trunk the spines are gone. So don't eat seedlings as the turtle! :D

I found an eBay seller in Thailand who offers viable, fresh rare/uncommon palm seeds at decent prices. PM me if you want to know more about him. I don't promote non-IPS member sellers on PT. He has Pholidocarpus macrocarpa seeds at the moment - beautiful palm related to Livistonas. I was tempted but the spines appear 1-2" long, just a bit too lethal for me.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

My contribution to this thread would be a palm that I believe to be a Gastrococos crispa, but not sure.

20180506_195524.thumb.jpg.63fe7d49cf1724

It's got spines all over just randomly on both sides of the leaves. Even this small it was a nightmare to repot and it's in a big enough  for it topot in which it to stay for some years to come. The little palm has been struggling  for some time but now seems to pick up the pace a little.

Then there's an Astrocaryum alatum. It appears to only have spines on its first few leaf (petioles) as new leaves don't show any real spines.

20180506_195548.thumb.jpg.552aa82bb43e13

Aiphanes aculeata seedling.

20180506_195611.thumb.jpg.22205a851d9b01

And...

20180506_195627.thumb.jpg.280082fce33dfe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I found an eBay seller in Thailand who offers viable, fresh rare/uncommon palm seeds at decent prices. PM me if you want to know more about him. I don't promote non-IPS member sellers on PT. He has Pholidocarpus macrocarpa seeds at the moment - beautiful palm related to Livistonas. I was tempted but the spines appear 1-2" long, just a bit too lethal for me.

I'm buying from him too, last time I bought his Pholidocarpus macrocarpus and 4 Borassus flabellifer. He also offer very weird Verschaffeltia splendida which can be a new variety (you can find here thread in this pot section) but I think he has high prices according to the average salary in Thailand. He don't have to go to the job after you buy some items :D

@Kai

Thank you so much for your photos!!

Gastrococos?? Super monster. Can't believe how some plant can be so spiny as this one.

I was trying to germinate some Astrocaryum but without success. Aiphanes is so cool, I have some seedlings too, they are much younger than yours:

received_1924207310932122.thumb.jpeg.cbf

And your Plectocomia? That's a dream for me. I was trying 2 species from this genus and almost no success. I have only 1 seedling of Plectocomia pierreana but worth it. You have really green fingers :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018, 2:12:27, Kai said:

My contribution to this thread would be a palm that I believe to be a Gastrococos crispa, but not sure.

20180506_195524.thumb.jpg.63fe7d49cf1724

Looks like Acrocomia (Gastrococos) crispa. I saw thousands of seedlings when I was in Cuba in 2014. Those golden spines covered every part of them and glistened in the sunlight. Beautiful but vicious.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

@Jupiter1

Your palm is truly amazing!! What species, do you have it from seed? Thank you for sharing your photos :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Looks like Acrocomia (Gastrococos) crispa. I saw thousands of seedlings when I was in Cuba in 2014. Those golden spines covered every part of them and glistened in the sunlight. Beautiful but vicious.

Thanks Meg, Acrocomia was the name I was looking for. I'm having trouble keeping up with all the name changes. I liked Gastrococos more, but hey, what can I do?

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, GrumpyGrower said:

@Jupiter1

Your palm is truly amazing!! What species, do you have it from seed? Thank you for sharing your photos :)

Thanks!! I assume you are referring to my orange stem. It's a phoenicophorium borsigianum. I obtained it as a 4 inch cup from a grower down in South Fl. Couldn't pass them up. Spikes, colors and warts!!:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jupiter1 said:

Thanks!! I assume you are referring to my orange stem. It's a phoenicophorium borsigianum. I obtained it as a 4 inch cup from a grower down in South Fl. Couldn't pass them up. Spikes, colors and warts!!:rolleyes:

Soo this is normal?

20180517_221632.thumb.jpg.1c69bca6ee1062

20180517_221707.thumb.jpg.de15dcde02b65d

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 4 weeks later...

Acrocomia totai 2nd leaf is already showing its fierceness.

DSC00528.png.6baacc8bd4bcea3cf1d4ce6e8c9

• Upvote 3

08053.gif

• 2 months later...

I found stunning spiny palms in botanical garden (also in pot). This Acanthophoenix rousselii looks very dangerous!

IMG_20180822_100337.thumb.jpg.a8123df7f4

• Upvote 1