IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing the Princeps x Wagnerianus cross?

Jimhardy

I thought I noticed some 2 ridgers and a 3 ridger in the 30-31 seedlings I have growing.

The leaves may have seemed a little thicker too.

• Upvote 3

Yes, technically.

They are just germinated seeds in pots, waiting for the first bit of something to poke above the soil.  I figured with the seeds on e-bay people here would start comparing what they have.

8 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Sorry it should say Wag x Princeps.

Then you should try to change the title of the thread. I would tell you un a few days, I'm waiting my two germinated ones to show their eophylls (I hope to get more germinated seeds soon). Is your seed source Victo Silver too?

Regards.

Edited by Sanips

08053.gif

I just checked my seed and the Waggy x Nanus and Fortunei x nanus are germinating like crazy but nothing from the waggy x princeps yet.

All Victor seed.

• Upvote 1

I have one princeps X wagnerianus and quite a few wagnerianus X princeps growing. 

I purchased 50 seeds of the wagnerianus X princeps from Aldert Kuijn, all 50 germinated to produce 9 X 2 ridgers, 17 X 3 ridgers, and 24 X 4 ridgers. I sold quite a few of them last year, but kept some of each as can be seen in the picture. Looking a bit yellow at the moment, but hoping that will improve with warmer weather and some seaweed with sequestered Iron. 

The wagnerianus X princeps were kept outside all winter under a temporary greenhouse and experienced significant frosts down to -8C. The princeps X wagnerianus was kept frost free in my heated conservatory.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

Very nice and thank you for the detailed response.

I think I only had 2  2 ridgers,lots of 3 ridgers and 4s.

Will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

Very nice and thank you for the detailed response.

I think I only had 2  2 ridgers,lots of 3 ridgers and 4s.

Will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

You're welcome Jim. 

My simple logic believes 2 ridgers will be more like princeps, 4 ridgers like wagnerianus, and the 3 ridgers 50/50. However, others more knowledgable than me say there is no evidence to suggest any connection between number of ridges and mature palm characteristics. 

Edited by Jonathan Haycock
  • Upvote 1

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

I think the same way about this, hopefully I can keep them

straight as they grow, sometimes labels wear off over time and they get mixed up

but if you see more hybrid vigor in the 3s that might be an indication we are on

to something(or not) time will tell, looking forward to some good growth this

year and maybe the first divided leaves....as I recall Princeps starts to show its

true colors around the 5-6th "leaves" that come out.

So....2 ridger more Princepy, 3 a mix of the 2 ....and 4 ridgers more Waggyish 

there are also some that are so smooth its hard to even see the ridges at all,

these are marked with a ?....

Thanks again.

PS. I like how you have them arranged 4,3,2.

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Upvote 1

My largest wag x princeps (Aldert source) will produce a split leaf soon I’m guessing. They are all a very dark glossy green. My own wag x princeps that germinated in January seem to be narrower flatter leaves, virtually devoid of ridges in most cases. I’m hoping to collect some nanus x princeps in a few weeks. I’m not sure anyone has made this cross before so it will be interesting. 

• Upvote 3

Mr.Trachyhead :D

Good to hear from you....I also noticed some that did not appear

to really have ridges...trying to keep them straight as the years pass

can be tough but hopefully if even one of us can do it,it may help everybody...

I have 30 of these..."so your saying theres a chance" :P

https://i.imgur.com/LoANCRo.jpg?1

Edited by Jimhardy

On 4/30/2018, 10:56:09, Vic said:

My largest wag x princeps (Aldert source) will produce a split leaf soon I’m guessing. They are all a very dark glossy green. My own wag x princeps that germinated in January seem to be narrower flatter leaves, virtually devoid of ridges in most cases. I’m hoping to collect some nanus x princeps in a few weeks. I’m not sure anyone has made this cross before so it will be interesting. 

PrincepsXWagnerianus seedling 2017, seems to be a new beauty.

PrincepsXWagnerianus.jpg

• Upvote 4

Wow! That is awesome!

Thanks for the preview and the seeds :greenthumb:

Seems too(at least in this example)follow the same path as

Princeps with a well divided leaf around the 4 to 5th leaf.

Edited by Jimhardy

Hey Jim, I don’t often log in here but was drawn in by your enticing topic ;-)

I’m going to label the 2 ridge or narrow leaf seedlings specifically and see how they develop. 

It’s all interesting stuff. 

Ad, that princeps x wag is a special little palm. 

• Upvote 1

It is fun to have another exciting cross, reminds me of the days when we saw

this with some of the "Takil" seedlings,dont remember the source of those.

I thought I noticed a slight blueish tint even on some of these seedling leaves...

time will tell....  good to hear from you.

PS

I was sorry I to have to leave EPS,had a lot of bad stuff happen over the last 4 years

losing my mom and some other stuff, just wasn't playing well with others at he time,

doing better now, always enjoyed the wonderful discussions over there! Take care.

• Upvote 1

Jim, I was sorry you left us as you were a good contributor. Glad to hear you are in a better place now.

You will be pleased to know the takil thread has been resurrected :rolleyes:

Does Garden web still exist? It was one of the very first forums I use, maybe even pre EPS. I seem to remember it was mainly a US forum.

• Upvote 1

Thats great that the Takil thread lives on...I never look at that(GWF)  anymore,I think

it has a different name, there are a couple people from there on the Hardy subtropical board.

Thanks Vic

• Upvote 1