IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill Palm- Prongs turning yellow

Allen G

Help- I have an 11 year old 25 ft Windmill palm in backyard at waters (Lake) edge.  The lower prongs (leaves) are turning yellow but top and new growth is green. In South Carolina we had a colder Winter than usual- so there may be some cold winter damage. I have never fertilized the palm except for today- I used Miracle Grow Palm Fertilizer which is balanced in    Nitrogen, Potassium and Magnesium. I suspect that there is a nutrient deficiency-either Potassium, Magnesium or both. Should I use any thing else? Perhaps a liquid. Also, should I cut off the yellow prongs. Miracle does not have Boron in it . Thanks

Sometimes the lower fronds that are old yellow and sag kind of with older palms like yours a pic would help a lot if you can tommorow.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum! Windmill Palms are tough, especially in taking cold. Where are you in South Carolina? And yes, please post a picture, it is a HUGE help. With palms, as the new fronds grow on top the ones on the bottom start to die off, this is normal and what all palms do. But don't do anything to it until you take a picture! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I live in coastal NC, has been a ruff year even for the windmills. I have seen a few where the stems just completely lost their turgidity. Many have had a bit of cold damage,,and the damage just progressed for many weeks. Everything seems to be settling down now though, me thinks you'll be ok.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

Sometimes the lower fronds that are old yellow and sag kind of with older palms like yours a pic would help a lot if you can tommorow.

Thanks for responding. Having 3" of rain in SC-I will post a picture when rain stops

On 4/23/2018, 8:37:55, Allen G said:

Help- I have an 11 year old 25 ft Windmill palm in backyard at waters (Lake) edge.  The lower prongs (leaves) are turning yellow but top and new growth is green. In South Carolina we had a colder Winter than usual- so there may be some cold winter damage. I have never fertilized the palm except for today- I used Miracle Grow Palm Fertilizer which is balanced in    Nitrogen, Potassium and Magnesium. I suspect that there is a nutrient deficiency-either Potassium, Magnesium or both. Should I use any thing else? Perhaps a liquid. Also, should I cut off the yellow prongs. Miracle does not have Boron in it . Thanks

Thanks to all that responded concerning my 11 year old Windmill -lower leaves turning yellow. I have uploaded two pictures. I suspect that this is somewhat wind damage and lack of nutrients.  I did fertilize it yesterday and it looks a little better. Anything else I should do-cut off dead prongs?  some websites say leave them on to give plant time to recover. Perhaps some liquid fertilizer also give it a quick boost.

DSC01905.JPG

DSC01906.JPG

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Allen G said:

Thanks to all that responded concerning my 11 year old Windmill -lower leaves turning yellow. I have uploaded two pictures. I suspect that this is somewhat wind damage and lack of nutrients.  I did fertilize it yesterday and it looks a little better. Anything else I should do-cut off dead prongs?  some websites say leave them on to give plant time to recover. Perhaps some liquid fertilizer also give it a quick boost.

DSC01905.JPG

DSC01906.JPG

I would not recommend cutting off fronds until they are completely brown.

The palm gets the nutrients out of these older fronds and puts them into the newer ones.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

I would not recommend cutting off fronds until they are completely brown.

The palm gets the nutrients out of these older fronds and puts them into the newer ones.

Couldn't agree more! I don't cut anything til it is as brown as can be!

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 4/23/2018, 9:29:43, PalmTreeDude said:

Welcome to the forum! Windmill Palms are tough, especially in taking cold. Where are you in South Carolina? And yes, please post a picture, it is a HUGE help. With palms, as the new fronds grow on top the ones on the bottom start to die off, this is normal and what all palms do. But don't do anything to it until you take a picture! 

Did you see the pictures. I hope this tree will make it after 11 years

2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Couldn't agree more! I don't cut anything til it is as brown as can be!

did you see pictures? will it make it?

On 4/23/2018, 9:29:43, PalmTreeDude said:

Greenwood South Carolina- Will the tree make it?

Did the growing spear pull? Looks like it will be fine to me but only time will tell.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

29 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Did the growing spear pull? Looks like it will be fine to me but only time will tell.

I am not sure was a growing spear pull is?  I noticed over very cold winter for SC that there was some yellowing. I used some slow release fertilizer with balance Nitrogen and Potassium then it rained for two days. Is there a liquid I can use to give it a boost. It does look a little better each day.  Thanks

Dont overfeed it. There are liquids out there that are safe, but you would "overfeed" the tree. Just let nature take its course.

From what I see now it looks like it should make it, take another picture after a week and show us. 

PalmTreeDude

I agree with everyone saying it will make it!Just don't overfeed and don't cut off fronds till completely brown and bending and almost breaking.Send some update pics!

Mine had a little of that in Georgia.  Have 2 they got a little wind burned in the cold is my own diagnosis.  My spear is good so I’m rolling on.  You should too.  Water it here and there it’ll bounce back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

It has been a while since I posted (April) but I have been busy moving 20 cu yards of mulch. At 73 it takes longer to do. Thanks to all that have responded.  My Windmill is no worse and seems a little better. The yellow at the bottom has turned brown so I assume it is time to cut those off. The very top is green and growing but there are still some yellow. As I had mentioned it was a cold winter in SC. I did fertilize in April and will probably do again in June. Here are some pictures. Any comments -Thanks. Even some of my smaller Windmills have some yellow-brown . I will submit picture in new post

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018, 12:21:34, Allen G said:

Hi Everyone

It has been a while since I posted (April) but I have been busy moving 20 cu yards of mulch. At 73 it takes longer to do. Thanks to all that have responded.  My Windmill is no worse and seems a little better. The yellow at the bottom has turned brown so I assume it is time to cut those off. The very top is green and growing but there are still some yellow. As I had mentioned it was a cold winter in SC. I did fertilize in April and will probably do again in June. Here are some pictures. Any comments -Thanks. Even some of my smaller Windmills have some yellow-brown . I will submit picture in new post

That sounds like good news.