IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Exchange suggestion

RedRabbit

I think the Palm Exchange could be improved if it were restructured. Currently the subforums are as follows:

• For Sale
  • For Trade
  • Plants Wanted
  • Freebies
  • Palm Grower/Buyer Ratings

Shipping typically isn't an option when you buy palms so it makes a big difference where the palm for sale/trade/wanted/free is located. I regularly find myself clicking into threads offering palms for sale just to see they're in California and immediately close the thread. In consideration of this, I believe the Palm Exchange would be more efficient if it were restructured to be location based.  Here are the subforums I propose:

• California
  • Florida
  • Texas
  • Other
  • Palm Grower/Buyer Ratings
Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

A worthy suggestion as I end up doing the same.  Even if the threads were tagged with the location and a "no shipping" or "shipping available", it would help those of us browsing for a deal.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

You both live in Florida. There are nurseries here that have rare palms. See Grower Rating section. We grow them faster and you can assimilate quite the collection rapidly at a lesser cost.

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

There is a new IPS website that has been in the works for some time now. I am under the impression that it was proposed to have in it a more detailed For Sale section and even auctions. But that is not something I know anything about.

• Upvote 3

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

On 4/17/2018, 10:26:21, PALM MOD said:

There is a new IPS website that has been in the works for some time now. I am under the impression that it was proposed to have in it a more detailed For Sale section and even auctions. But that is not something I know anything about.

Ahh, cool. Thanks Dean. :) 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

The majority of plants for sale on PalmTalk are located in Florida and California, but as an International forum I don't feel it would be right to create 'local' forums whereby only 2 or 3 locales are presented to a worldwide community. A revamped Palm Exchange should ideally be run on a classified ads platform to allow all the benefits of online shopping. Just my 2 cents. :)

• Upvote 1

I agree John.

I, for one, would always do what I can to keep the "International" in the International Palm Society.

• Upvote 3

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.