IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri 'Norfolk Is.'

John in Andalucia

How well does Rhopalostylis baueri grow in your part of the world? A New Zealand member of the EPS forum has kindly sent me a consignment of 'Norfolk Island' seed.

I'll post a photo of the mother tree when it becomes available.

I cleaned the seeds this morning, and realised there are two distinct shapes; almost perfectly spherical or ovoid/ellipsoid. I have it on good authority from the the collector that these are var. baueri (Norfolk Island) as they were 'imported by the landscaper prior to the palms being planted in 1999'. I understand that the seeds were collected from a city centre planting in Tauranga, NZ. However, Alan also mentions that 'the Norfolk Island form has slightly rounder seeds while the Kermadec palm seeds are a bit more ovoid'. Whilst essentially the same palm, this has me wondering whether this variation in seed shape occurs in their respective, native localities.

I'll be distributing the seeds amongst EPS members in the coming weeks, and offering them as freebies to the folks on PalmTalk as well, since I have so many. 

20180414_121610.jpg

20180415_120554.jpg

20180415_121045.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Luxliving said:

What is EPS?

European Palm Society - affiliated to the IPS :D

Hi! 

I have a Rh. Baueri var. Cheesemanii here in Cadiz, southern Spain. I bought it as a seedling 5 years ago and planted it soon after. It is slow growing in my climate but has done well, unfazed by some midday summer sun (otherwise fairly shaded) and light frosts...20180415_113747-774x1032.thumb.jpg.9650c

I had read it likes to be slightly crowded, surrounded by other plants nearby, and that certainly seems to be the case for mine...

It's quite close to that Arenga Engleri in the background, just to the left... that's what I mean by crowded!

20180415_113705-774x1032.thumb.jpg.6da3f

I'd buy another if only I could find a place that sold them... ;) if you had any spare seeds I would definitely be interested :)

Jan Jo 

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Awesome! Norfolk Island and its flora have always fascinated me: and to grow the specific variety of R. baueri from there has been high on my wish list.

4 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Hi! 

I have a Rh. Baueri var. Cheesemanii here in Cadiz, southern Spain. I bought it as a seedling 5 years ago and planted it soon after. It is slow growing in my climate but has done well, unfazed by some midday summer sun (otherwise fairly shaded) and light frosts...20180415_113747-774x1032.thumb.jpg.9650c

I had read it likes to be slightly crowded, surrounded by other plants nearby, and that certainly seems to be the case for mine...

It's quite close to that Arenga Engleri in the background, just to the left... that's what I mean by crowded!

I'd buy another if only I could find a place that sold them... ;) if you had any spare seeds I would definitely be interested :)

Jan Jo 

It is beautiful 

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

15 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Hi! 

Jan Jo 

Very nice planting there!

Jan, there will be seeds available. I will bump this thread when they're in the 'Freebies' section.

• Upvote 1

image.thumb.jpg.e2b42fc9633a9af73c7141f4image.thumb.jpg.9979f249cd425f8e3981cc98I have a several in my Northern California  yard. They're hardy, fast growers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 9

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Will they be available when posted to the states as well it only European areas? I'd be more than willing to cover expenses.

Not sure op. The one Baueri tree that Iv'e collected seed from were all globe shaped... The local native Rhopalostylis Sapida seeds I've collected can be both globe and oval shaped although much smaller. Somebody's bound to know for sure what the Beauri seed shapes are in their native habitats .

My one doesn't seem to mind being over crowded...Great looking palms if you can grow them.

100_0775.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jim, I've always been impressed by your garden over the years. A very nice specimen you have there!

Mostapha, I will endeavour to post worldwide, yes. I just need to get some prices (and envelopes) for shipping. I'll update later on.

Thanks palmcode, for your input. Your R. baueri looks equally at home as Jan Jo's in Spain, and appears to be about the same age(?)

On 4/16/2018, 9:48:11, John in Andalucia said:

Very nice planting there!

Jan, there will be seeds available. I will bump this thread when they're in the 'Freebies' section.

Thanks John, sounds great! Where in Andalucia are you by the way?

Here is my adult plant of R. baueri v. cheesemanii with globose seed.

The close-up photo shows this seed on the left and two fruits, then R. sapida v. Chatham Island on the right.

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

• Upvote 7

San Francisco, California

20 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Thanks John, sounds great! Where in Andalucia are you by the way?

I lived on the south coast at Motril, Granada for 11 years. I moved back to the UK almost 3 years ago. Oh, happy days! :D

• Upvote 1

Darold, interesting that at first glance all your R. cheesemanii seeds appear globose. That contradicts what I was told regarding the Kermadec population of R. baueri.

I have some of the Chatham Is. 'Oceana' seeds from RPS. No germination yet, after 9 months. :asleep:

22 minutes ago, John in Andalucia said:

I lived on the south coast at Motril, Granada for 11 years. I moved back to the UK almost 3 years ago. Oh, happy days! :D

Ahh, the Granada coast, that's supposed to be the warmest climate in Spain, isn't it? Perfect for palms... must have been hard to leave! :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Here's mine today from one of your seeds. I try to keep it out of full sun since I live in a hot summer climate (90F+ almost daily)

IMG_4328.thumb.JPG.c2c3faa129fac105d0d3d8fb8cd3ee23.JPG

IMG_4329.thumb.JPG.1c980892da6ff074936ba7d934a1d0da.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2019 at 11:20 PM, Matthew92 said:

Here's mine today from one of your seeds. I try to keep it out of full sun since I live in a hot summer climate (90F+ almost daily)

IMG_4328.thumb.JPG.c2c3faa129fac105d0d3d8fb8cd3ee23.JPG

IMG_4329.thumb.JPG.1c980892da6ff074936ba7d934a1d0da.JPG

How old is this one in this pic? How big is it now? I have one this size and it seems to have not grown much in the months I’ve had it.

Dimitri 

I will be offering a few seedlings for sale in a week or so.  :)

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

On 3/30/2021 at 6:23 PM, Dimimelbourne said:

How old is this one in this pic? How big is it now? I have one this size and it seems to have not grown much in the months I’ve had it.

Dimitri 

It was about a year old then. I'm so sorry to say it died. Life got very busy and it needed repotting. I wasn't getting around to it and suddenly it started declining. I can't remember exactly but I think I then tried repotting it and it just continued declining and died.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:33 AM, Matthew92 said:

It was about a year old then. I'm so sorry to say it died. Life got very busy and it needed repotting. I wasn't getting around to it and suddenly it started declining. I can't remember exactly but I think I then tried repotting it and it just continued declining and died.

Oh no! Shame but what to do. You win some you lose some 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2018 at 4:03 PM, John in Andalucia said:

European Palm Society - affiliated to the IPS :D

Hello,  i wonder if you have some contact infromation of this guy ? I am in big need of baueri seeds. 

Thanks for the answer in advance=) 

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2018 at 2:40 PM, John in Andalucia said:

How well does Rhopalostylis baueri grow in your part of the world? A New Zealand member of the EPS forum has kindly sent me a consignment of 'Norfolk Island' seed.

I'll post a photo of the mother tree when it becomes available.

I cleaned the seeds this morning, and realised there are two distinct shapes; almost perfectly spherical or ovoid/ellipsoid. I have it on good authority from the the collector that these are var. baueri (Norfolk Island) as they were 'imported by the landscaper prior to the palms being planted in 1999'. I understand that the seeds were collected from a city centre planting in Tauranga, NZ. However, Alan also mentions that 'the Norfolk Island form has slightly rounder seeds while the Kermadec palm seeds are a bit more ovoid'. Whilst essentially the same palm, this has me wondering whether this variation in seed shape occurs in their respective, native localities.

I'll be distributing the seeds amongst EPS members in the coming weeks, and offering them as freebies to the folks on PalmTalk as well, since I have so many. 

20180414_121610.jpg

20180415_120554.jpg

20180415_121045.jpg

Hello,  i wonder if you have some contact infromation of this guy ? I am in big need of baueri seeds. 

Thanks for the answer in advance=)