Nor Cal drive-by: Rhopalostylis in Pacifica

awkonradi

Encountered this Rhopalostylis in Pacifica, while cutting through a neighborhood to achieve a U-turn on Highway 1.  Thought it looked happy, so I hopped out and snapped this pic.

IMG_20180414_145253.jpg

• Upvote 4

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Thanks for posting, there are 2 or 3 more visible from the public right-of-way in San Francisco.  I have never rang the doorbells,  but it does seem curious.

San Francisco, California

I plant 15 gallon ones in client's landscapes whenever I get the chance. Most are in backyards unfortunatly so impossible to see with drivebys. Most of mine are in my front yard however. These should be more popular and planted up here much more often!

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I've sent one "Dear Palm Owner" letter to an address with a big, fruiting Butia in the front yard, in which I proposed hybridization experiments.  I did not receive a reply, and I did not inquire again.  Maybe this Rhopalostylis address warrants a "Your palm is cool" letter, with no proposition attached.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

That is a very interesting palm. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 2.3C/36F (12/27/2015)--Lowest recent/current winter: 3C/37F (2/24/2022)