IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Northeast/Mid Atlantic Palm Discussion

Nj Palms

Nothing at hd in Manahawkin just majesty’s and some Pygmy date palms.Any other sightings?Just wish I could find them already lol!

HD in Annapolis has gotten more tropical palms.  They still have a few windmills, but looks like most of the cold hardy palms they had a couple weeks ago are gone.

2018-05-10_14-42-39_001.jpg

2018-05-10_14-43-28_587.jpg

2018-05-10_14-43-32_323.jpg

2018-05-10_14-44-23_521.jpg

2018-05-10_14-46-55_605.jpg

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MDPalm said:

2018-05-10_14-43-32_323.jpg

Nice Adonidias. Do you know how much they were?

Edited by Estlander

If I remember right the 25 gallon in the picture above were $250 and the smaller ~17 gallon in the very first picture were $170.  

HD is expensive for these, you can find them cheaper (and better looking) elsewhere.  I had Lowe's order some for me that were in a 10 gallon container and sized between the two pictured from HD and they were $119.  I bought a similar size at a HD in Miami for $99 so it didn't seem unreasonable.

If anyone is looking for something specific, you might check with the store manager or nursery manager at Lowe's, I have had very good luck with them ordering stuff that I wanted.  The last two years they have ordered adonidias at my request.  They just got 12 this week, even called to let me know they were in and held some back for me, as of today there were only 4 left.  I am sure they will be gone this weekend.  

2 hours ago, MDPalm said:

If I remember right the 25 gallon in the picture above were $250 and the smaller ~17 gallon in the very first picture were $170.  

HD is expensive for these, you can find them cheaper (and better looking) elsewhere.  I had Lowe's order some for me that were in a 10 gallon container and sized between the two pictured from HD and they were $119.  I bought a similar size at a HD in Miami for $99 so it didn't seem unreasonable.

If anyone is looking for something specific, you might check with the store manager or nursery manager at Lowe's, I have had very good luck with them ordering stuff that I wanted.  The last two years they have ordered adonidias at my request.  They just got 12 this week, even called to let me know they were in and held some back for me, as of today there were only 4 left.  I am sure they will be gone this weekend.  

Ok thanks. Yeah they’re pretty pricey. I’m sure south Florida nurseries have the best prices on these. 

I recently bought a triple 3 gallon one from local Walmart for $15. But if i can find a bigger one with a little bit of woody trunk, I’d buy it. 

How do I germinate Sabal Minor seeds?Do I need heat or can I just leave them In my greenhouse and how long will it take?Share your experiences!

Never germinated that species and to be honest never had luck with them. But I would assume that heat and humidity is what they will need as seeds start popping out around that time of year.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

They like heat & don't take long at all to germinate. They are weeds here & every seed that drops sprouts where you don't want them.

So I should probably just leave them in my greenhouse and they should germinate.I keep it humid in there too how long would it take?

Fresh seed off the plant will germinate in a couple weeks. If the seed was picked up off the ground chances are good half the seed is full of bugs & not viable.

Nothing at hd yet again lol!Just ordered 110 Sabal Minor seeds for 13 bucks fresh seeds too.Hopefully I can have a pla, jungle by Late June maybe even earlier!

I’ve seen majesty palms (of course), cat palms, areca palms, christmas palms, chinese fan palms, bamboo palms, queens, fishtails, etc. at the Home Depot’s around here but nothing cold hardy.

I don’t care that they don’t sell Trachys (marginal at best), but we should at least get Needles and Minors, this is zone 7 after all. Most don’t even know cold hardy palms exist, they’d snatch them up.

Edited by cm05

• 3 years later...

NJ Sabal Minor spring 2022

https://youtu.be/_FBMSHmWQr4

Brooklyn palms 2022

https://youtu.be/V9hmHd73asY