IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea Sunkha

Laaz

13 hours ago, mthteh1916 said:

can you recommend any street views to see them?

Life is too short for me to waste my time staring at google maps or social media. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Life is too short for me to waste my time staring at google maps or social media. 

Fine, but let's just say they aren't common at all in Austin then. one streetview in houston or san antonio and you find many. I gave up trying to find them in Austin. I think they sometimes get too many days with highs below freezing that is just as bad as one real cold night.

Edited by mthteh1916

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Correction I just fine two nice specimens in a neighborhood on the southern side of the city. Not sure if that is the warmer side but is more open than the city itself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.1953969,-97.819617,3a,75y,184.36h,78.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svrplOi0thKtTQSa6ob_-wg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018, 3:54:13, Laaz said:

The Sunkha is doing great & mule keeps on going.

20180504_154931.jpg

amazing the resiliency of these plants. All the citrus still doing okay?

Yep lost the blood clementine, but have seedlings that survived. Everything else is leafed back out.

The two Uruguay queens I got from Tom both survived & are pushing new growth as well.

20180506_152042.jpg

• Upvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎54‎:‎13‎, Laaz said:

20180504_154931.jpg

I'll be damned. :evil:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 5/6/2018, 3:25:41, Laaz said:

The two Uruguay queens I got from Tom both survived & are pushing new growth as well.

20180506_152042.jpg

Wow, amazing!!! They are the Queen to go with vs the ones from Brazil.

On 5/6/2018, 2:11:39, Laaz said:

Yep lost the blood clementine, but have seedlings that survived. Everything else is leafed back out.

Wow great news! Do you still have a regular blood orange? I love those.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎54‎:‎13‎, Laaz said:

20180504_154931.jpg

What does it look like now?

My understanding is that you can’t base ultimate cold tolerance on this phenomenon. I have dypsis leptocheilosis doing the same as that sunkha after 17 degrees. I was told on this site that it’s because the growing point was insulated underground. Not trying to burst any bubbles just relaying what I was told.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The sunkha had another spear pull once the summer heat kicked in, not holding out much hope now. The Yatty x queen however, has over 4 ft fronds & is kicking ass... Today.

20180721_172545.jpg

• Upvote 2

Wow looks great, are these  " Uruguay queens " the equivalent of the "Santa Catarina" queens I have read so much about from years past but seemed to have vanished? I would sure like to try those. I did find some S. var. litoralis but it's not sounding like these are in the same league as your Uruguay or Santa Catarina queens. Any chance you have any plants left?

Both of my Sunkha were growing quite well until a month ago at which time they hit the brakes. I marked the spears and have had ZERO growth in the last 40 days and all of this heat is starting to make the bigger one desiccate and look like it is headed towards the classic PJ death spiral.  Grasshoppers love PJ leaves too....

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎5‎:‎32‎:‎04‎, Laaz said:

The sunkha had another spear pull once the summer heat kicked in, not holding out much hope now. The Yatty x queen however, has over 4 ft fronds & is kicking ass... Today.

20180721_172545.jpg

:crying:

Summer has claimed another casualty here as well. The smaller one is hanging  in there and looks ok (first pic). 

20180802_123434.jpg

20180802_123441.jpg

• Upvote 2

just lost mine during the heat wave we had recently. It probably got up to about 100f where it was planted, several days in a row, and apparently daily watering didn't do any good..

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2018 at 5:41 PM, Laaz said:

The Uruguay queens all pulled through with zero protection

20180721_173820.jpg

And this beast is the giant next to my sidewalk that is even taller.

31 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Nope. But as you have seen, the Yatty x queen is over 25 ft  tall now.

29 minutes ago, Laaz said:

And this beast is the giant next to my sidewalk that is even taller.

Can I get a couple pics of these 2? Ya know, too refresh my memory :D

• Upvote 1

My sunkha is in serious decline mode after all of the recent rain and much higher than normal humidity over the past two months.  Such a shame after surviving our February freeze and looked fantastic in May.  :(  Helpless feeling since there's nothing I can do to help it.  It doesn't look like it will survive but hoping I am wrong.

IMG_20210804_121302.jpg

Jon Sunder

@Fusca  Maybe there is still hope as I believe the dry season has arrived for us Texians.  Does it need a dose of  copper sulfate or Daconil to combat fungal invasion?