IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My mom and I's Garden

Chatta

Wasn't expecting this from the Hetereospathe Phillipensis, this is likely going to be a showpiece palm, I hope it can survive my winters. I left it out this past winter and it did not show any damage at 34F

20200530_184130.jpg

20200530_184145.jpg

• Like 9

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to try an areca vestiaria in ground. I'm probably nutts but at least i have 4 others so no biggie.

20200622_192208.jpg

• Like 7

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to anoucne i was just admitted to the University of Florida's Master of Landscape Architecture program!!! I already hold a masters in Architecture from U.S.F. Looking forward to taking my hobby professional somewhat. My goal is enrich Tampa Bays landscapes and bring as much of Raymond Jungles style to this region as makes sense and possible. Maybe just switching the palm pallet just slightly ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Chatta said:

Just wanted to anoucne i was just admitted to the University of Florida's Master of Landscape Architecture program!!! I already hold a masters in Architecture from U.S.F. Looking forward to taking my hobby professional somewhat. My goal is enrich Tampa Bays landscapes and bring as much of Raymond Jungles style to this region as makes sense and possible. Maybe just switching the palm pallet just slightly ;)

Congratulations man! 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, Chatta said:

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your time in Gainesville. It may not be tropical but I’ve heard plenty good good things about the city. :greenthumb:

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

4 hours ago, Chatta said:

Congratulations! 

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

5 hours ago, Chatta said:

Obscenities have been screamed and if we here in the Land O'La La can help with your Master's Thesis or whatever, we're at your service.

And, do treat with the glorious delights of gardens you'll design over time.

Bracing self!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you so much!!! I greatly appreciate it :)  I am not moving to Gainesville, will be commuting X_X I have a friend in Ocala whos gonna let me crash up there when I have to but, I may not have to even go up there for awhile with how things are at the momment anyhow. UF has not announced if they will have in person classes yet. While I was getting my masters in Architecture some of my classmates were commuting from as far as Orlando, tho I thought the people commuting from St. Pete probably were just as crazy haha

I visited Rob Branch yesterday and picked up a show piece specimen Pygmy Date Palm!!! Got it in the ground this morning, now I'm beat.

20200710_125639.jpg

107812247_1171176306596194_909948049556949789_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

feeling pretty frustrated/heart broken atm... The company that normally fixes our lawn mower hired a landscaping crew to mow our lawn because they can't get out to fix the lawn mower until August despite telling us they could do it at the end of June... Well the landscaping crew came and completely anhiliated my vetichia metiti, dypsis onilahensis, hit my purple leafed dypsis, and hit the fakahatechee royal palm on the lake front. I'm most upset because I took care of these areas and there was no reason for them to eve hit them with weed whackers.

They also got a really nice mimosafoilia plant with these sorta poincia like flowers I'm confused as to why they hit that specifically as nothing around it was hit.

I never wanted a landscape crew here but my dad Okayed it and well... Now i'm upset.

Oh well

34 minutes ago, Chatta said:

feeling pretty frustrated/heart broken atm... The company that normally fixes our lawn mower hired a landscaping crew to mow our lawn because they can't get out to fix the lawn mower until August despite telling us they could do it at the end of June... Well the landscaping crew came and completely anhiliated my vetichia metiti, dypsis onilahensis, hit my purple leafed dypsis, and hit the fakahatechee royal palm on the lake front. I'm most upset because I took care of these areas and there was no reason for them to eve hit them with weed whackers.

They also got a really nice mimosafoilia plant with these sorta poincia like flowers I'm confused as to why they hit that specifically as nothing around it was hit.

I never wanted a landscape crew here but my dad Okayed it and well... Now i'm upset.

Oh well

Another story added to the list of stories that makes me cringe when I hear the word "landscaper".  Sorry to hear man.  Did the agreement between your dad and the crew indemnify them from damages caused by their services?  I'd at least bounce them about replacing the damaged plants unless your dad vetoes that measure.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

44 minutes ago, Chatta said:

Oh well

Upset?, lol.. Heads would be rolling into the lake as i summon resident Alligators right about now.. Not sure why but even when you present explicit directions to some mow n' blow guys, stuff they're not supposed to touch gets nailed..  Sorry for your losses, Hopefully some contributed replacements are in your immediate future..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

some updates, fared well through the winter, lowest temp was 36F

20210328_165414.jpg

20210428_191339.jpg

20210428_191601.jpg

20210428_191632.jpg

20210428_191723.jpg

20210428_191858.jpg

• Like 8

@Chatta Looks better every time I see it!  Whether online or in-person!  Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Thank you guys!!!
I was just informed on Monday that I've been awarded 2 accolades from the University of Florida! I am super stoked to be recognized in anyway at all. I won a leadership award and Best Master Terminal Project Proposal!!! I was also awarded a scholarship from a Garden Club in Ormond Beach, FL :)
They come with money awards too! I am super stoked. Should all things work out I will be traveling to the Peruvian amazon as part of my research.
20210313_184535.thumb.jpg.43791beb39ed8e3f2398c5a88a157dd4.jpg
20210503_152117.thumb.jpg.d50bde8bfee85b1c4e1bad0c94a82388.jpg
20210313_184009.thumb.jpg.8af9d0cdead4a627852187b9be9b29da.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Chatta said:

Thank you guys!!!
I was just informed on Monday that I've been awarded 2 accolades from the University of Florida! I am super stoked to be recognized in anyway at all. I won a leadership award and Best Master Terminal Project Proposal!!! I was also awarded a scholarship from a Garden Club in Ormond Beach, FL :)
They come with money awards too! I am super stoked. Should all things work out I will be traveling to the Peruvian amazon as part of my research.

You're good at what you do!  Should you need a bodyguard on your trip, I might have enough days off left to cover the trip ;) LOL

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

• 1 year later...

20221125_110431.thumb.jpg.c9ed84e71b09065d57046fab74e1f6fb.jpg20221228_124759.thumb.jpg.b5bec7ca8a406b4977af9a718c45d009.jpg20221228_124815.thumb.jpg.f34b5aa32eb04433b1c84044d7872c31.jpg20221124_142622.thumb.jpg.eef3b9b75b5bc3e4ff80b6c26b44fef2.jpg20230109_072332.thumb.jpg.49f711502e6770c3a51bdf1985017330.jpg

Well this has been a harsh winter so far, but no palm loss for me it looks like thankfully so far.
I had below freezing temps for 7.5 hours during the xmas freeze, 31F the first night, then 30F the following night. This last event we hit 38 and 37

20221125_110247.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1