IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I bought this Eucalyptus in 2012 and planted it right away. It was labelled Eucalyptus dalrympleana but I have always had some doubts. It is very fast growing, especially considering the climate (short summers, lack of heat) and it has proven to be quite coldhardy. The worst damage so far has been some leaf spottings on older leaves. We regularly see snow and frost down to -10/-12C in winter as well as prolonged freezes (january 2017 was virtually always below freezing).

This tree only receives sun until noon/ early afternoon, so it is a bit leggy. I planted a sister seedling in my aunt's garden in full sun but it grew so fast that she cut it down three years ago. Grown in full sun, it had a much stockier and bushier appearance.

Any ideas? It was suggested to me that it could be E. parvula..

5a9ea37566b62_Euc2012image.jpg.20446de7c

December 2013

5a9ea3a564499_EucDez.2013image.thumb.jpg

Autumn 2017

20171004_084816.thumb.jpg.612d7d13e3353b

It has flowered various times

20170622_143402.thumb.jpg.6d470f26379c9f

Adult leaves

IMG_4262.thumb.jpg.0df32b0a03449f55f5bbc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gunnii is the only one I was fairly sure it is not because it is the only one commonly found in nurseries here and they look different. Mature leaves are not as narrow.

Also, when I crush the leaves of my plant they have a strong but pleasant odour, much like cough sweets. None of the E. gunnii I have tried smelled nearly as good.

• 4 months later...

Did you ever find out what species? -12c here killed many Gunnii  (including mine) and mortally wounded many others, 

All had massive damage from such temperatures

Edited by Jamesasb

There are also different variation of E. gunnii. I was reading somewhere where ones from different areas within it's range have much more cold hardiness than others.

• 5 years later...
On 7/14/2018 at 12:42 PM, Jamesasb said:

Did you ever find out what species? -12c here killed many Gunnii  (including mine) and mortally wounded many others, 

All had massive damage from such temperatures

I had completely forgotten about this topic here until @Blueman liked the initial post . I still think it is Eucalyptus parvula. We haven't seen anything colder than -10/-12 C and this thing is still growing like a rocket.

PXL_20230920_100649040.jpg

PXL_20230927_110059188.jpg

• Like 2