IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Goal posts.

Laaz

The fruit is much sweeter than the grocery store. This is one of my seed grown grapefruit. Took 5 years to begin fruiting from seed. It is now 12 years old & produces way more than I could ever use. My wife loads the entire neighborhood up with fruit every year.

38ort.jpg

24o5346.jpg

Another after a heavy pruning.

34rae78.jpg

• Upvote 2

What is the hardiness on those citrus trees?

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Wow, fruit looks better than I would have thought! I am not going to lie, I never knew you could grow citrus outside of FL, California, or Hawaii until this post. I never did any research on citrus though and was not to interested in them until now... 

Texas is third in the country behind CA and FL in total citrus production (250,000 tons last year from 24,500 acres planted - mostly in the lower Rio Grande Valley) and second only to FL in grapefruit production.  I used to report citrus stats for the state of Texas and then found out that I could grow it myself.  :)

Jon

Jon Sunder

23 hours ago, Laaz said:

mthteh1916  you're funny. You seem to have the idea we get this type of weather often. Hell I guess I should be educating peole in south Florida on growing tropicals... After all, I'm as qualified as you are as to growing in my area...

Grapefruit have all been defoliated as have the oranges. Mandarins still have a decent amount of leaves.

This waz a very rare event to say the least. Most winters we have between 7-10 nights a year where we drop below freezing. Many years we have 9b winters & most are 9a...

Have a great day.

Laaz I'm sorry if you think I was trying to offend in any way. I am amazed by what you grow and I'm sure everything will come back beautifully. I wish you continued success with your amazing garden.

12 hours ago, Fusca said:

Texas is third in the country behind CA and FL in total citrus production (250,000 tons last year from 24,500 acres planted - mostly in the lower Rio Grande Valley) and second only to FL in grapefruit production.  I used to report citrus stats for the state of Texas and then found out that I could grow it myself.  :)

Jon

Don't forget Arizona. And I visited a small commercial grove in Alabama. GA is really taking off in citrus production. Sweet oranges however are confined to FL, CA, TX and AZ I think. AL and GA mostly, but not all, satsuma production. Interesting to read they said why it is happening and they said most definitely the area doesn't get the cold min temps it used to prior to 90's. I hope it stays that way.

2 hours ago, mthteh1916 said:

Don't forget Arizona. And I visited a small commercial grove in Alabama. GA is really taking off in citrus production. Sweet oranges however are confined to FL, CA, TX and AZ I think. AL and GA mostly, but not all, satsuma production. Interesting to read they said why it is happening and they said most definitely the area doesn't get the cold min temps it used to prior to 90's. I hope it stays that way.

That's true - AZ was the only other state mentioned in the USDA report.  I believe there is (or was) commercial production of satsumas in LA and southern MS as well, but nothing significant.  I hope to stay in one place long enough to get some fruit for myself!  I've grown citrus and palms in my last 5 homes but end up moving before I get any fruit...

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

What is your take on Citrus reticulata 'Changsha'? I read anywhere from 8a to 8b, and currently the wife and I are in the process of doing an addition that will be making a very sizeable microclimate that Im planning on fiilling with plants and would greenhouse this every winter for sure. No games or pushing unless the single digit claims are true. 

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Changsha isn't very good, but may make it in your zone. Kumquats may also do well. If you want something just for ornamental purposes, plant a citrumello.

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

Changsha isn't very good, but may make it in your zone. Kumquats may also do well. If you want something just for ornamental purposes, plant a citrumello.

Not good flavor or is it the seeds? I read its edible but seedy, which is a small compromise. Some of the varieties I was looking into were as follows: 

Citrus reticulata 'Jiouyuezao'

Citrus japonican (never eaten Kumquat, but willing to try!)

and of course Citrus reticulata 'Changsha'

Im not doing this for ornamental, Id like to eat the fruit. But I dont want it to taste bad haha so which of these taste decent? I can deal with seeds if the fruit taste good. Also where can I source good citrus plants???

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

22 hours ago, Fusca said:

Jon

Dang! I used to think that all citrus were zone 10a+ ! What are the cold hardiest ones, 8b/9a + ?

PalmTreeDude

Might depend on your tastes.

Personally I don't like oranges to be too sweet.  So in my opinion satsuma 'owari' tastes great, and mandarin 'keraji' is not bad either but is a little more sour.

I've also tasted some of the crosses that include trifoliate orange, and found them to taste absolutely vile.  Even though some of these are advertised as edible, I'd consider them to be for ornamental use only.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Dang! I used to think that all citrus were zone 10a+ ! What are the cold hardiest ones, 8b/9a + ?

Kumquats (Fortunella sp.) are hardy to around 10-15 degrees F - I think they are rated 8a.  I like the Meiwa variety (Fortunella crassifolia) the best as it is much sweeter than the typically tart varieties.  I've seen these grown in NE Texas with no protection and are small enough trees to be grown in containers (usually less than 10 feet).  Calamondins (Citrofortunella microcarpa) are crosses between sweet orange and kumquats.  They are similar in size and taste to kumquats but not as tart, but I guess it depends on the variety of kumquat in the cross.  I like calamondins and have planted 3 of them - the trees can get pretty tall compared to kumquats.  I believe calamondins come true from seed (like most citrus), but not the Meiwa kumquat.  Satsumas (Citrus reticulata) are rated zone 8b and there are several varieties.  Improved Meyer lemon might also be a zone 8b.  I am also growing a cross between a lemon and kumquat called a "lemonquat" or "sunquat" which I believe is also 8b.  All of the ones Todd (Laaz) has growing I believe are 9a.

Jon

Jon Sunder

Ahh I just need some zone 8 citrus that tastes good! Wife and I are doing an addition on the house and Im getting an ideal SE corener that will be blocking anythign but southern and some eastern winds. The eastern side of my house is a vastly different microclimate than anywhere else and I live in a 1300sqft rancher lol. The ground almost never freezes and the temperature of both air and soil is much more mild in winter than elsewhere, but also gets hotter in the summer as there is rarely a breeze. 

But yeah if anyone knows of some good sweet orange/mandarin or lemon type sour citrus and where to get/buy it thats reliable in zone 8 let me know.I know I can pretty easily grow zone 8 stuff here. Ill try to source kumquat see if I like it and try that was well then I can grow a little grove!

On 30/1/2018, 22:42:07, PalmTreeDude said:

Wow, fruit looks better than I would have thought! I am not going to lie, I never knew you could grow citrus outside of FL, California, or Hawaii until this post. I never did any research on citrus though and was not to interested in them until now... 

In the US,I am confident enough to say that you can grow citrus in 8b.Here oranges,lemons,grapefruits grow in warm 9a climates,but are commercialy grown only in 10a+.

On 1/2/2018, 04:18:58, mdsonofthesouth said:

Ahh I just need some zone 8 citrus that tastes good! Wife and I are doing an addition on the house and Im getting an ideal SE corener that will be blocking anythign but southern and some eastern winds. The eastern side of my house is a vastly different microclimate than anywhere else and I live in a 1300sqft rancher lol. The ground almost never freezes and the temperature of both air and soil is much more mild in winter than elsewhere, but also gets hotter in the summer as there is rarely a breeze. 

But yeah if anyone knows of some good sweet orange/mandarin or lemon type sour citrus and where to get/buy it thats reliable in zone 8 let me know.I know I can pretty easily grow zone 8 stuff here. Ill try to source kumquat see if I like it and try that was well then I can grow a little grove!

When the ground freezes,you go below 15 or you get freezing rain that will coat everything in ice. ANY citrus tree except poncirus trifoliata(disgusting flavour) will die,but with heavy protection on the coldest nights some mandarins and kumquats should make it.

When the ground freezes,you go below 15 or you get freezing rain that will coat everything in ice. ANY citrus tree except poncirus trifoliata(disgusting flavour) will die,but with heavy protection on the coldest nights some mandarins and kumquats should make it.

Yeah Ill be buying a greenhouse for them for January and February and they will also be in the best microclimate I have where the ground rarely if ever freezes. Honestly takes events like we just had to freeze it as its blocked from the worst winds and gets a ton of sun. 

4 hours ago, CroToni said:

In the US,I am confident enough to say that you can grow citrus in 8b.Here oranges,lemons,grapefruits grow in warm 9a climates,but are commercialy grown only in 10a+.

That is not true. Citrus species are commercialy grown in Neretva (Croatia) in USDA 9a/b. My familly owns small citrus plantation in Neretva county. 

Edited by Cikas

17 hours ago, Cikas said:

That is not true. Citrus species are commercialy grown in Neretva (Croatia) in USDA 9a/b. My familly owns small citrus plantation in Neretva county. 

I was not aware that Neretva got that cold.It being a few km inland explains it thought.However lemons,limes,oranges and grapefruits can  grow for many years without protection(infact you never have to protect then)only in The southern islands(Brač,Korčula,Lastovo,etc.)and south of Split.All the other regions can get cold enough to defoliate or almost kill a citrus tree. For an example In Brač  you can grow a lime from seed without ever protecting it and we know that limes are very sensitive to the cold.

So yeah you can only grow citrus without protection in 10a here.

3 hours ago, CroToni said:

I was not aware that Neretva got that cold.It being a few km inland explains it thought.However lemons,limes,oranges and grapefruits can  grow for many years without protection(infact you never have to protect then)only in The southern islands(Brač,Korčula,Lastovo,etc.)and south of Split.All the other regions can get cold enough to defoliate or almost kill a citrus tree. For an example In Brač  you can grow a lime from seed without ever protecting it and we know that limes are very sensitive to the cold.

So yeah you can only grow citrus without protection in 10a here.

Neretva is warmer than Split. Sometimes winters do not go below freezing at all. But they can have some winters short below freezing dips (down to warm USDA 9a/b, depends on exact location). Only true USDA 10a climate in Croatia  is on Island Palagruza. 

Edited by Cikas

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎32‎:‎58‎, Laaz said:

mthteh1916  you're funny. You seem to have the idea we get this type of weather often. Hell I guess I should be educating peole in south Florida on growing tropicals... After all, I'm as qualified as you are as to growing in my area...

Grapefruit have all been defoliated as have the oranges. Mandarins still have a decent amount of leaves.

This waz a very rare event to say the least. Most winters we have between 7-10 nights a year where we drop below freezing. Many years we have 9b winters & most are 9a...

Have a great day.

How have you found blood orange tree's cold hardiness? I really want to try one. Also, am very eager to see a full update/pictures on how things fared and their recovery at your place.

7 hours ago, Laaz said:

As good as any of my oranges. It will be a while for a progress report, but we are back up in the 80's later this week.

Cool! Yep, mostly mix 70's in the 10 day here. I'd also wonder how you're cold hardy queen did: that was the one sourced from Uruguay right?