IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few Winter Garden Pics

Palm crazy

3 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Last night was first of the really cold spell we're going to have for the next few days & nights. Last nights low was 29.5F Have to wait and see what happens the next two nights hopefully nothing below 25F. I brought inside the greenhouse a few of the potted cordylines everything else should be ok. This might be the coldest nights of the year so far. All the plants that are leafing out and flowering should be fine since they're all hardy plants. Will let you know how cold it gets. The airport is much colder than it is in town. Can't wait for March warm up.  

Yeah, looks like you're right around freezing now and Wunderground says low of 21, weather channel 22.

Interestingly, almost to the day 3 years ago, we were having a 22 deg freeze at my location.

14 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Yeah, looks like you're right around freezing now and Wunderground says low of 21, weather channel 22.

Interestingly, almost to the day 3 years ago, we were having a 22 deg freeze at my location.

Yeah, my birdbath is totally frozen and it might get up to 40F today. Brrrrr! I'll have to bring inside the hummingbird feeder this evening. But man it sure is nice and sunny right now. Hopefully, it will be mostly cloudy tonight to keep us warmer. LOL! If not it could mean really cold come morning. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Good luck! Almost makes me feel bad about our situation, still would hate to see that beautiful garden look like some of ours.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

5 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Good luck! Almost makes me feel bad about our situation, still would hate to see that beautiful garden look like some of ours.

Not too bad ... low last night was 28F.  Cloud cover last night really helped. Hope you guys are enjoying your spring-like weather. My calla lily is still green so not to bad. 

Edited by Palm crazy

You won't believe it, its 32F right now at 8:30 am and its SNOWING! If it amounts to anything will take pictures after my dentist appointment this morning. Cool. 

Yeah we had a dusting the other day and it was preceded and followed by 50s-70s lol. I was up in the coldest part of the state in the mountains and we got 5in that day, but they stay colder alot more than we do. Heck when we left home it was 70ish and dropping for the quick event, 2.5 hours later it was mid 20s while home was mid 50s. Im hoping the near spring like conditions stay til spring. We have had flowers budding out for a week or so and hoping we dont get a repeat of last year and kill off the new growth and delay spring for a while. That was no fun...Good luck with the snow!

Would love to see pictures though, You have a wonderful garden thats great for ideas for building mine.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah we had a dusting the other day and it was preceded and followed by 50s-70s lol. I was up in the coldest part of the state in the mountains and we got 5in that day, but they stay colder alot more than we do. Heck when we left home it was 70ish and dropping for the quick event, 2.5 hours later it was mid 20s while home was mid 50s. Im hoping the near spring like conditions stay til spring. We have had flowers budding out for a week or so and hoping we dont get a repeat of last year and kill off the new growth and delay spring for a while. That was no fun...Good luck with the snow!

Would love to see pictures though, You have a wonderful garden thats great for ideas for building mine.

Yeah it's really coming down now, at least it's not sticking to the street or sidewalk yet. But my palm fronts are all cover. Will take some pictures late this afternoon. Seem like the last couple of years we have no snow until February. LOL!. At least it not to cold outside. 

Hmm thats weird I always thought the western US saw winter end sooner than east. We sometimes get events into march out of the blue. Its not fun and cannot be planned for as our forecast can go from awesome like it is now to terrible very fast. But such is life on and around the fall line. 

As bad as this looks I will have no damage or spring dieback from perennials coming up or flower that are blooming. Last nights low of 28F didn't even damage the calla lilies that are under some shrub protection.  We can have a very mild January only to have a short cold spell in February, seen it before.  This snow is going to keep us much warmer than what they are predicting. 

Here are some snow pictures I took at noon today. Temp at noon was 36F. One thing you see if some areas with overhead protection have little to no snow. Lots of picture coming. It's a Good Day to have a warm brandy with coffee beans. 

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

• Upvote 3

Here's how much snow so far and it's still snowing light to heavy. And last photo some color in the garden. Thanks for looking. 

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

• Upvote 3

Yuck! I really hate snow, but glad your plants are fine :D

11 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yuck! I really hate snow, but glad your plants are fine :D

Snow is always pretty to look at the first 24 hrs, after that I want it gone!!!  At least tomorrow will be in the low 40's and it will all disappear by tomorrow night. Can't wait to see what happens tonight, will it be colder than last night or warmer?  Yes, my plants will see another spring, but someone told me that March is not going to be as warm as usual. Time will tell. In the meantime enjoy all that spring weather your getting. 

Oh we are! Going to be high 70s tomorrow and wont dip bellow freezing til mar 6th per the forecast and even then its a low of 31 and too far out to be accurate. Im hoping we stay this way and start spring early without an event. Snow isnt fun to look at at all in my humble opinion. But then again we are good for 0-10in each winter so Im used to the stuff....but every 6-10 years we get HAMMERED with a blizzard with 12-18in in one storm, so for me its never pretty lol. 

No cloud cover last night. This morning low is 23F coldest so far this winter. The airport reported 15F which I am not surprised there always colder than in town. City heat island wins again, going to be crystal clear today and much warmer than yesterday. Have one more cold night to go. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Time to change the signature lol

Hey everyone! Last weekend I went to the local upscale nursery here and took some pictures of what they had just gotten in. I didn't take any flower picture I was mostly just wanted to take pictures of what I love to get someday. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

• Upvote 2

There were so many new plants I couldn't take any more pics... over 10 acres of nursery and so much to see!  Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Nice pictures 

As much as I despise snow, I can agree that there were snowy days it felt "warm" ..say high 30s (maybe 40 -ish) and id be out shoveling our walkway in a t-shirt and shorts while it was snowing like crazy. On a couple occasions, we also had thunder at the same time.. weirdest weather I have experienced, aside from a serious thunder-ice turned snow and ice storm that basically trapped me in my apartment for 2 days when I lived in Kansas. I say 'basically' because while they'd shut down all the roads across town, the nearest grocery store/ places to eat were just across a vacant lot/ bank parking lot behind where I lived at the time.

Agree w/you that the snowfall itself can help keep stuff from otherwise freezing. Still kind of shocking to see your entire garden covered in the white stuff though, lol.

Great shots from the nursery visit.. the Edgeworthia. in the picture (before the gargoyles, to the right of the table with palms/helleborus on it) is stunning. Wish they tolerated more heat. 

• Upvote 1

Despite the cold weather we had for one week. this coming week is not better with highs running 5 degrees below normal. Right now the Edgeworhtia and daffodils are blooming in the parks along with some blue flowering ground covers. Some of the native shrubs that leaf out in March are already leafed out now. A few more weeks and the peach trees will be blooming. Flowering plums are in full bloom now too. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Good to see your garden took little to no damage. From what I was seeing Olympia and north of Everett really got it. The Olympics snow shadowed most of the central sound so I only got about half an inch at 500ft. Just checked the outlook and everyday is below average. This summer better be hot and longer than normal to compensate us.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, we got hammered! 5" of snow, with a low of 23F and 24F. Coldest weather from this otherwise mild one. The coldest nights were clear. The rest we had cloud cover. I really don't think it is going to feel like spring here, until early May. 

The only plants that suffer from the snow were the cordylines leaves are now pointing down. Lots of winter flowers right now and hummers are happy! 

Great pictures!
Here we have a winter which is more autumn like than real winter but just at the moment spring is around the corner horrible cold is visiting us this week.
Well, at least the sun is shining a lot these days. 

• Upvote 1

Southwest

3 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

Great pictures!
Here we have a winter which is more autumn like than real winter but just at the moment spring is around the corner horrible cold is visiting us this week.
Well, at least the sun is shining a lot these days. 

Thanks, Exotic Life. 

Hope you have an early spring!