IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea radicalis

Palm crazy

2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Well I sure hope swings like this don't raise rot chances. We often swing 20F+ in a normal winter day, and like we have seen the past week swings even further! We have been in the 60s and even low 70s with nights from mid 30s to mid 50s. We go from days like that to days with lows in the 20s and highs in the 30s or 40s. Didnt seem to bother my chamaerops humilis last winter, but the swings also weren't as large. 

This being my second over wintering of palms I have seen lots of damaging effects from roasted fronds (Trachycarpus), complete defoliation (Livistona) to spear pull (Trachycarpus and Chamaerops). But Im 100% sure it had to do with the extreme lows mixed with what felt like record setting length of cold/bellow freezing. 

weird,your trachys' spears pulled,but ur Med Fan is doing fine.

Here they are both naturalized and temps in the low 20's do nothing to them.

Well both pulled, but my trachycarpus are very small at less than a foot of trunk. So they are still tender and I'll see in the spring if they make it.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 1/25/2018, 12:27:48, CroToni said:

I can imagine some serious rotting happening on plants if the weather goes from freezing to warm in a day,but for us humans It's nice.Our winters never go above 60 degrees.I am jelaous.

We just moved to our hometown Kansas City from Denver, Colorado. Denver is borderline 5b/6a climate, right where the plains meet the Rocky Mountains. Despite the cold zone rating, it can (and usually does) hit 70 F/21 C during each and every winter month. It can be low-single digits or even negatives F one day and over 60 t-shirt weather the next. The chinook winds coming off the leeward side of the mountains are largely responsible for this rapid warming; the relatively strong sun at that elevation and dry location help as well.

Edited by pin38

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

• 2 months later...

Beautiful!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 3 years later...

Any idea what kinda Radicalis is these? I was told some of these hybrids but they all were next to eachother.just wonder if anyone has idea ? And how cold hardy these could be? It’s feels very strong solid green bamboo trunk..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 1/7/2018 at 10:56 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Anything under 15 is where they start to burn to one degree or another.  Add wind and precipitation and your results may vary.  In every instance I have found Radicalis to be more cold hardy than microspadix as the later will have outright stem death at 15F.

That's good information to know.