IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Agave Victoria Reginae

TexasColdHardyPalms

Ive had this one for a while now. It is now large enough that I'm very worried about it flowering and anytime,  so I wanted to go ahead and snap a picture and share it with everyone. It is now the size of a beach ball. 

Please excuse the oak leaf litter. 

20171218_170456.jpg

• Upvote 11

Whoa, that's a wonderful little agave! I tried it once but it couldn't take my rain & humidity.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That sure is a beauty! It must be very old - and I hear you - hate the thought of it flowering and the subsequent outcome. 

• Upvote 1

Thats a nice one for sure... surprised you aren't growing it in the ground. I've been thinking about getting another one. 

Edited by Palm crazy

49 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Whoa, that's a wonderful little agave! I tried it once but it couldn't take my rain & humidity.

I had one that die after being in the ground for like 8 years... it was the cold and rain here. 

They won't flower as quick in a pot. You got some yeas on this one still. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have a few in the ground. If you build up a mound of sand to grow them in they are hardy below 10f.  This big one is directly responsible for selling close to 200 one gallon plants. Everyone that spots it automatically want to purchase one. 

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have a few in the ground. If you build up a mound of sand to grow them in they are hardy below 10f.  This big one is directly responsible for selling close to 200 one gallon plants. Everyone that spots it automatically want to purchase one. 

Nice... mine was growing in to much shade which is why I grow all my agaves in pots now... except for shade tolerant ones. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Ohh yea, these like zero shade and very little water.  I don't think I watered the big one a single time this year.

sure is a pretty agave.Love the fact it takes almost no water

I'm a big fan of the agave victoriae reginae albomarginata AKA 'White Rhino Form'  my self. Are you growing this one Joseph?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 12/18/2017, 3:19:45, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Ive had this one for a while now. It is now large enough that I'm very worried about it flowering and anytime,  so I wanted to go ahead and snap a picture and share it with everyone. It is now the size of a beach ball. 

Please excuse the oak leaf litter. 

20171218_170456.jpg

sure is a pretty agave.Love the fact it takes almost no water

I'm a big fan of the agave victoriae reginae albomarginata AKA 'White Rhino Form'  my self. Are you growing this one Joseph?

Sunset zone 24

It sure has some nice genes. You should have no trouble finding new homes for offspring.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Victoria Reginae take about 6-7 years to get a really nice 1G size (plant size bigger than a softball) from seed or about 4-5 years from a pup. From there they grow quite a bit bigger up until they get to a basketball size and then slow way down.  The one pictured above is roughly 25 years old. 

9 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Victoria Reginae take about 6-7 years to get a really nice 1G size (plant size bigger than a softball) from seed or about 4-5 years from a pup. From there they grow quite a bit bigger up until they get to a basketball size and then slow way down.  The one pictured above is roughly 25 years old. 

Wow, that’s impressive! I’ve got a normal (green) one and each one yellow and white variegated. So I’m afraid it’s gonna take the double time here in Germany to grow them to that size as they don’t grow from November to March. 

Hopefully I’ll manage to get 80 :D

6 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Josh-O  I don't have any white Rhino and haven't seen a single one grown or sold here in Texas.

Mine came from a grower in S Texas as a very small/tiny offset in mid-2013 and is now about 8”/20cm across, with two nice offsets. They are sometimes available in this area at different sizes and usually less expensive than on eBay. It should be grown fairly hard or it looks stretched, IMO.

There are a number of ecotypes and color variants of this species. Some of them offset freely, others don’t. My experience from both wild and cultivated seed is that they can grow fairly quickly in mild climates. I had 6” material planted out last fall that has added 4” in diameter and quite a few more leaves over the past 14 months. Under the right conditions, you can flower them from seed - I have - in about 12 to 15 years if (un)lucky. That said, there are plenty of old plants around.

Now, ‘Kizan’, that’s slow.

J

5B81CB8F-1A5E-4F18-BF8D-C874A34EF9B2.jpeg

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

Mine came from a grower in S Texas as a very small/tiny offset in mid-2013 and is now about 8”/20cm across, with two nice offsets. They are sometimes available in this area at different sizes and usually less expensive than on eBay. It should be grown fairly hard or it looks stretched, IMO.

There are a number of ecotypes and color variants of this species. Some of them offset freely, others don’t. My experience from both wild and cultivated seed is that they can grow fairly quickly in mild climates. I had 6” material planted out last fall that has added 4” in diameter and quite a few more leaves over the past 14 months. Under the right conditions, you can flower them from seed - I have - in about 12 to 15 years if (un)lucky. That said, there are plenty of old plants around.

Now, ‘Kizan’, that’s slow.

J

I saw that plant delights offers Kizan this year.$50 for a 3.5" potted plant though...

His shipping and handling charges are off-putting. There’s no agave on his list that warrants it for me. I think I paid 35 bucks all in for a tiny offset from a guy in SoCal this past summer. It is a very nice-looking sport when well -grown.

My albomarginated vic-reg.

1BEBF3D0-3271-425C-9AC8-08160402FB2B.thu

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, stone jaguar said:

Thanks. I have a well-established potted offset of it that will be looking for a home this spring. Think it’s got two on it right now.

I'd love to add one like that to my collection. ..

Not as nice as the high-contrast white variegation, but I still like it. ‘Kazo Bana’

It sets every year 3-4 pups. Probably that’s why it grows so slowly...

9E92CFC2-65E6-40B9-AA85-262286DE6B02.jpeg

• Upvote 4

This sport has been over-exposed in tissue culture and it is very prone to become a clustering mess until quite large. Once apical dominance is established, they can be very handsome. Like other aureo-variegated vic-regs, they require some experimentation with exposure duration and intensity to get best contrast color. This is one I grow, originally from a Scottsdale, AZ nursery. Color good, but still room for improvement. Fully exposed to the sky, year round in SF Bay area.

65EA0FD0-C804-4BF1-ACA8-35A13924A814.thu26B023C6-076A-4F48-B5EC-0CA08EF5A17F.thu

• Upvote 6

The market consensus is on your side on this. Same size albomarginates price about 6-8X to KB and similar clones, depending on the buyer's mood. There are some newer green and cream clones in Asia that fetch OK dosh as well.

Joseph when you come by my nursery in April I have  A huge one with many offsets you can see in person. These are expensive if you can find them on eBay and they show up. About three years ago small 4 inch plants  were selling for 500 bucks a pop. 

Sunset zone 24

Last time I seen them here (yellow or white) they were less than 10.00 dollars for 4" plants,  but haven't see them for sale in a few years. But when I do will p/u some. Wonder why agaves are so cheap here? 

Edited by Palm crazy

Last time I checked, small WR offsets usually price from 110 to 150 bucks on eBay and in local nurseries. They occasionally fetch higher prices from reputable sellers. Nursery prices for larger plants range from USD 600 to 1000.00. They offset deliberately throughout youth but are definitely not prolific plants like KB.

Someone with an interesting sense of humor has one on eBay for ~USD 10K. No doubt that this is a very ambitious price point.

40 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

Last time I checked, small WR offsets usually price from 110 to 150 bucks on eBay and in local nurseries. They occasionally fetch higher prices from reputable sellers. Nursery prices for larger plants range from USD 600 to 1000.00. They offset deliberately throughout youth but are definitely not prolific plants like KB.

Someone with an interesting sense of humor has one on eBay for ~USD 10K. No doubt that this is a very ambitious price point.

10k, thats crazy. I think they really don't want to part with it..... also I don't think I have seen the white ones here after all, just different yellow variety. I'll check out the local nursery this spring see what they get in. They get a variety packs in from one grower so there all the same price. 

Edited by Palm crazy

I saw one sell for 1,800.00 US on eBay last year and it was only the size of a grapefruit :blink:

Sunset zone 24

On 12/24/2017, 4:47:58, stone jaguar said:

Thanks. I have a well-established potted offset of it that will be looking for a home this spring. Think it’s got two on it right now.

Great agave!

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I saw one sell for 1,800.00 US on eBay last year and it was only the size of a grapefruit :blink:

I missed this one, but have been told that there were a number of sales this past summer to overseas buyers - circumventing CITES permits and phytos - that fetched higher than usual pricing. Many people unaware or ignore the fact that this sp. and A. parviflora and its subspecies are regulated plants in international trade.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

I missed this one, but have been told that there were a number of sales this past summer to overseas buyers - circumventing CITES permits and phytos - that fetched higher than usual pricing. Many people unaware or ignore the fact that this sp. and A. parviflora and its subspecies are regulated plants in international trade.

Well, count me as an unaware. Sure enough it is listed on appendix II. 

They were TC’d in the ‘States a few years back and at least some of these plants made their way into cultivation at wholesale level. The eyebrow-raising prices are almost entirely for established plantlets and plants, not basal slivers are propagates just out of the jar.

Asian demand appears to be good enough to provide price support around the levels I quoted earlier, but I would be leery of “investing” in these plants. That said, they are amazing things when well grown so if you are comfortable buying one at current prices, by all means do so.

WR, like all the others before it, will be quite common soon enough. I would never pay more than $50 (about price for most other variegated VR) for a plant. Higher pricing seen on eBay is for suckers or those living in the past. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin