IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show Us Your Bromeliads!

sbpalms

On 3/11/2018, 4:42:25, Hillizard said:

Here are my newly-germinated Pitcairnia ringens seedlings that just sprouted from tiny seeds. This is a terrestrial Bromeliad from Mexico that produces bright red flower spikes from spring through fall. With a bit of effort I should get a few to grow to flowering size.

I got the seed via eBay. More about this species here (with comments from Stone Jaguar): http://www.agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5886 

Pitcairnia_ringens_03.11.18.jpg

Below is what my seedlings of Pitcairnia ringens look like today, just over a month from germination. Still have them on a propagation heating pad under LEDs. [More info on this species: http://www.agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5886] In just a few more (?) years, I should have blooms... :blink:

P_ringens.png

• Upvote 4

If you're interested in landscape bromeliads then checkout my Facebook page by searching Oceanwest Bromeliads for SoCal palm guys. Plenty of pictures.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only two that regularly flower:

Dyckia choristaminea. Filling out a 1 gal approx. 9mos after purchasing in a 4" pot. Flowers quite fragrant upclose

DSCN3631.JPG.305af53b051db13e5ad1feaab68DSCN3632.JPG.739b5689240de643fca1c11fc1a

Dyckia rariflora. Second year in this pot, picked up in a crowded 4" Set tons of seed last year.

DSCN3752.JPG.5074e8836260cf8e4e122a471c8DSCN3753.JPG.e40b85a3ee6af7b76e60ca13febDSCN3764.JPG.f6aa2400c3547a6cfefff5e328c 

-Nathan

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Dyckia rariflora. Second year in this pot, picked up in a crowded 4" Set tons of seed last year.

DSCN3752.JPG.5074e8836260cf8e4e122a471c8DSCN3753.JPG.e40b85a3ee6af7b76e60ca13febDSCN3764.JPG.f6aa2400c3547a6cfefff5e328c 

-Nathan

Not too heavily armored for a Dyckia either!  Love those bright orange blooms almost as much as the humming birds in my garden do.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Wow, so many amazing pictures! Thanks everyone!

Edited by sbpalms

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4

• 3 weeks later...

Super not happy about this but i will post a few more pics as bloom progresses and only one pup so far 

20180525_194538.jpg

20180525_194549.jpg

• Upvote 1

Couple of new ones jumped in my truck while i was making deliveries 

20180603_083930.jpg

20180603_083901.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The best of show at the World Conference in San Diego; Deuterochonia brevifolia. It's  huge, believe me.

0601181008_Burst04.jpg

• Upvote 6

I've seen a few of those around here. They sure are a strange plant but not the most attractive!

Regards Neil

5 hours ago, Neil C said:

I've seen a few of those around here. They sure are a strange plant but not the most attractive!

Regards Neil

I agree 100% with you Neil. The fact that their growth habit is always mounding like this would indicate that this specimen shouldn't be anything special. It's the sheer size that takes your breath away.

• Upvote 1

From work, Racinaea dyeriana, which goes to show that even ugly ducklings can have their moment in the sun.0605180904.thumb.jpg.7a260e2282f8aec73e2

• Upvote 4

My latest brom is coming to the end of its flowering cycle and I'll need to repot soon. Question is do I dump the parent plant?

IMG_20180606_154502-01.jpeg

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

• 2 weeks later...

Red light for stimulste roots?

This is new for me, can you explain  why red light is good for this?.

I wish I had a local nursery that sold bromeliads like this. I hate getting mail order bromeliads with no roots.   Maybe I need to get some red fabric too, LOL!  Thanks for sharing! 

Edited by Palm crazy

2 hours ago, Monòver said:

ChromatiNet Red changes the light spectrum transmitted to the plants, reduces the spectrum of blue, green and yellow light and increases the red and far-red light spectrum. Thus, the rhythm of plants’ development under red light is increased, their leaf surface is larger, their stems are longer and thicker, and the total foliage volume is higher.

• Excellent shading solution for growers who wish to accelerate growth.
  • Obtain early flowering without decreasing flower quality.
  • Increase foliage volume plants such as house plants, decorative branches, non-flowering herbs, and a variety of field and nursery plants.
  • Enhance the development of root systems in shoots and tissue culture plantlets.
  • Flexible, light, strong and easy to spread.
  • Available in various widths.
  • Recyclable and UV resistant.

ChromatiNet Red reduces the spectrum of blue, green and yellow light and increases the red and far-red light spectrum. Thus, the rhythm of plants’ development under red light is increased, their leaf surface is larger, their stems are longer and thicker, and the total foliage volume is higher

I first ran into the red cloth and another product they helped develop  the aluminium shade cloth, when working with the Israeli Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development on a joint project here in the states. I was having issues getting some things to root and dealing with excess heat, and they suggested I use these products and we  had great success with them. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Monòver said:

I thought 'red light' stimulation for bromeliads consisted of having Amaryllis (naked lady) do a strip tease in front of 'em?

• Upvote 3

A seedling pink Hohenbergia stellata 'pink' with fine variegation .

Lucky me ;)

P1200750.JPG

P1200751.JPG

P1200752.JPG

• Upvote 2

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Dyckia 'Big Black' is blooming. :D BTW the pink flowers on the palm trunk is a summer blooming Rhipsalis. 

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes all the elements come together for perfect growing conditions. I had to put this Bill. 'Hallelujah' in my neighbor's yard when it got to half this size (took up too much room then). Maybe I'll grow all my Billbergias there. 6 inch pot.

DSC_2857.JPG

Edited by Gonzer
  • Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Sometimes all the elements come together for perfect growing conditions

Hallelujah that is a display of color spilling out of that little pot!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 7/14/2018, 3:27:51, Gonzer said:

Nice! Is that 'Moulin Rouge'?

I will text grower in the morning and ask him, it could be, i am the worst on bromie names