IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weak growth on potted Parajubaea

Kai

I have a couple of potted Parajubaea in my garden. They have been outside in full sun for the entire growing seaon, starting in March and have been growing fine. All look good exept for one little sunkha which is showing some very weak and unhealthy new growth. I didn't expect this because growth has been healthy untill now.

20171016_102613.thumb.jpg.4bddb87acf4022

I have seen this kind of weak growth before on some Parajubaeas but only after being placed inside for the winter. So now I'm in the dark about what causes this. I hope somebody can help me solving this.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Parajubaea are odd plants.  They will be vigorous and look great and then all of a sudden death spriral...

6 hours ago, Kai said:

Spiral? I hope not! I was hoping on getting it back to healthy again...

Yea, and i'm talking about 15g plants, not babies. 

My opinion is, they need to be growing in the ground. Parajubaea are huge palm trees with strong roots. I dont think they like to be in pots for many years.

I think it has something to do with the cooler and wet weather we've been having recently. Lots of wind as well.

The soil couldn't be better draining than it is now. It merely consists of pinebark chips and leca. No other organics like peat that will get clogged with water. Any water that goes in, runs out immediately. For all my other palms this works fine. I might want to check if the bottom of the pot isn't obstructed in any way so the water can't get out as good as it should.

Thanks for your input so far! Keep you guys informed!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I hate to say this but I think you are living  in  the wrong country, use your rights as an EU citizen and move to the Mediterranean. ;)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jungle Jas. said:

I hate to say this but I think you are living  in  the wrong country, use your rights as an EU citizen and move to the Mediterranean. ;)

You are absolutely right! I will tell my wife and children about your advice and soon we'll be off towards the south, leaving everything behind.

Pardon my cinicism. I've been dreaming about moving to a warmer place but it's hard to convince the wife. Also, keeping climate change predictions for the near future in mind, the lattitude I'm now on could very well become the "new mediteranean" with the "old mediteranean" becoming the "new sahara" (happening as we speak in Portugal and Spain).

Appart from possibly being allready on the right lattitude for the future, we might have to move eastwards into Germany towards higher grounds, therewith becoming climate change triggered sea level rise refugees.

Oh dear, the life of my Parajubaea is uncertain on so many factors...

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

4 hours ago, Kai said:

You are absolutely right! I will tell my wife and children about your advice and soon we'll be off towards the south, leaving everything behind.

Pardon my cinicism. I've been dreaming about moving to a warmer place but it's hard to convince the wife. Also, keeping climate change predictions for the near future in mind, the lattitude I'm now on could very well become the "new mediteranean" with the "old mediteranean" becoming the "new sahara" (happening as we speak in Portugal and Spain).

Appart from possibly being allready on the right lattitude for the future, we might have to move eastwards into Germany towards higher grounds, therewith becoming climate change triggered sea level rise refugees.

Oh dear, the life of my Parajubaea is uncertain on so many factors...

You are looking to far. Just build the damned dams HIGHER! I on the other hand have to move fast and swap my car with a camel!!!

RockCasbah.JPG.d11b7a1698e8f291addfe95ae

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

Yes it is imo most probably a root problem. Not necessarily overwatering if I give credit to your sayings. But nevertheless something in the medium disturbs the roots of your plant. It is so that despite all effort potting material is not all the time of consistent quality.

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

You are looking to far. Just build the damned dams HIGHER! I on the other hand have to move fast and swap my car with a camel!!!

RockCasbah.JPG.d11b7a1698e8f291addfe95ae

Lol! An old toyota should do just fine.

Yeah I'm on a dam with my shovel right now!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Yes it is imo most probably a root problem. Not necessarily overwatering if I give credit to your sayings. But nevertheless something in the medium disturbs the roots of your plant. It is so that despite all effort potting material is not all the time of consistent quality.

Yes rootproblem for sure.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands