IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala peltata var sumawongii

Plantasexoticas

Hi everyone.

I purchased several seeds of licuala peltata var sumawongii almost 2 years ago now. Only 1 germinated and has only shown its first leaf a few months back.

My question is, what conditions are best for the fastest growth? I've kept it at around 16-25 degrees celcius and relatively low light but it's still painfully slow. I have a humid and warm (26-30 celcius) greenhouse, would it grow better in there? 

Thank you,

James

I would keep it in the greenhouse. It comes from tropical Asia  so i would assume hot and humid. I bought a seedling here in spring and ive gotten 5 new leaves growing out here in hot humid Florida in partial sun.

• Upvote 1

Thank you. 

On rarepalmseeds it mentions it is the most cool tolerant licuala which is why I tried it but perhaps it still needs warm summers to grow?

It thrives on heat and humidity. When older it can tolerate better cooler weather than most other Licualas, thats why im pushing it outside here. When older its probably going in the ground. 

• Upvote 1

I would also keep it warm & reasonably humid when it's small. They are cool tolerant, as they grow here in our Mediterranean climate. But when young, they only produce one leaf per year for me. But now that mine has a little size to it, it's up to two leaves a year, so it's getting better. It's about 5 years old from a 3 leaf seedling.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Wow. 2 leaves a year would drive me crazy.. Guess i wont complain about mine., just went to count the leaves again and its holding 6 about the size of my cupped palm each and a new one pushing. I got it in spring and it had 3 strap leaves. I guess our humidity is good for more than just smothering me.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

"painfully slow."

Yep, I think that is a good description of them.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

James, be patient......it's worth the wait. 

They are slow, especially when young, but then pick up speed and become steady growers. 

Of course, here in Hilo, we definitely have the environmental advantage with the warmth, humidity, and rainfall. 

The first photo is my oldest one planted from a 5 gallon container back in 2010 and each subsequent leaf gets larger and larger. 

The smaller ones were acquired back in 2015 in 4" pots and I've already planted one out and the others are in 1 gallon pots. 

The last photo shows just how spectacular they can become. This one is just north of Hilo.

Tim

P1020420.jpg

P1020421.jpg

P1020416.jpg

P1020419.jpg

P1000743.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Those pictures are exactly the reason I purchased the seeds! Thank you for sharing Tim :)

I grow so many different palms that even if some are slow, there are others that are faster that keep you occupied.

I will remain patient, I have even ordered some more seeds and hopefully end up with a few more plants.

Do they like lots of water? I have been watering mine a fair bit.

James

These are great palm for me in South Florida I had a tree branch fall on one during Irma and one is now in full sun due to a tree falling and both are doing great. It seems as if they don't need as much shade as you would think as there is no yellowing or burning of the leaf of the one in full Florida sun

• Upvote 3

They do great in full sun as well. I think one of the most important considerations would be a protected spot from wind to keep it from getting shredded.

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The one I have is in bright sun and it really likes it.  These are WAY better than grandis for me.

• Upvote 2

My sumawongii has pushed maybe 5 or so new fronds since I planted it earlier this spring.  It's still is painfully slow IMO.  I bought it as a small plant from a 1 gal container I think. I should have spent more on a larger specimen.  Irma didn't help either, shredding what was there but a new frond recently opened with another on the way.  

I had it in full sun part of the day but found the leaves colored a bit on the light green side.  I recently placed a shade cloth over it and the Grandis.  The Grandis seems to be a faster grower to me.

I'm not sure if my sumawongii or my chamaerops humilis is slower.  It's like watching paint dry with either of them.

This is my wife next to some impressive licuala sumawongii's from the nursery we purchased ours from. These are either 7 or 15 yrs old, I can't recall exactly.

IMG_5012_DxOresize.thumb.jpg.a539a2efa9c

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

On 17 October 2017 at 01:39:54, Orly said:

My sumawongii has pushed maybe 5 or so new fronds since I planted it earlier this spring.  It's still is painfully slow IMO.  I bought it as a small plant from a 1 gal container I think. I should have spent more on a larger specimen.  Irma didn't help either, shredding what was there but a new frond recently opened with another on the way.  

I had it in full sun part of the day but found the leaves colored a bit on the light green side.  I recently placed a shade cloth over it and the Grandis.  The Grandis seems to be a faster grower to me.

I'm not sure if my sumawongii or my chamaerops humilis is slower.  It's like watching paint dry with either of them.

This is my wife next to some impressive licuala sumawongii's from the nursery we purchased ours from. These are either 7 or 15 yrs old, I can't recall exactly.

IMG_5012_DxOresize.thumb.jpg.a539a2efa9c

Thank you for sharing! 

Stunning palm! Though I would be very pleased with 5 leaves in a year, I'd be lucky to get one at this rate :p

7 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Thank you for sharing! 

Stunning palm! Though I would be very pleased with 5 leaves in a year, I'd be lucky to get one at this rate :p

Well it's looking pretty ragged right now thanks to hurricane Irma.  It'll takes many months to grow out that damage.

• Upvote 1

On 18 October 2017 at 09:00:25, Kai said:

I've had this seedling for some time now. A friend of mine germinated it so I don't know the exact age. My guess is around 2 years.

20171018_095539.thumb.jpg.b41eff477f591e

It's been growing fine though. Seems like a reliable potted houseplant to me.

Looking good!  I'm hoping mine speeds it's growth now it's in the warmth 

• 1 year later...

Hey!  So I've got a couple seedlings the look exactly like the ones above, 2 leafers, seems like they're in suspended animation.  Just wondering what you guys are doing with yours in terms of fertilization.  I don't want to give them too much at all, cause it seems like they're not growing a mm so they're not exactly feeding heavily!   Thanks!!

• 11 months later...

Here's my Licuala peltata var.sumawongii today pushing out its latest leaf. It's been in-ground for about two years, with a SE exposure, but shaded by a wide roof overhang. It had no problem with our recent winter temps or the hard tap water it gets. Seems to be surprisingly hardy for a Licuala in my location (9a-b) in interior NorCal.

LicualaPeltataVarSumawongii2.png

LicualaPeltataVarSumawongii1.png

• Like 3

• 2 years later...