IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia Revisited

realarch

Nice pictures Matt. Your minor appears to be the same as the first one I posted, so I guess that settles that. The last unknown is just one of the harder ones to ID. A number of them at a young age exhibit the large wedge shaped leaves that are green on both sides & are just impossible to tell apart. I have an unknown species, a munroi, a forbesiana, a maideniana & a kaalae, which are nearly indistinguishable to me at a young age, even though I stare at them all the time. At some level, I guess you just have to trust that the grower sold you what he said he did.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Tim,

Thought I would re-post these habitat pictures of Pritchardia kahukuensis from the north shore of Oahu. Awesome and fairly easy hike up to these. Nice nativeish

forest at the top. Those habitat pictures of P. marti are really nice, shows the difference between in a deep valley, and how tall and large they get, compared to the ones on

the ridges that are very stunted from the harsh winds.

aloha

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0213 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Wow Colin, those are really different looking. Almost a Cocothrinax or Thrinax look. 

The P. martii at the lower elevations were from seed washed down from the ridges and higher slopes.

The ones I saw were next to runoff gulches and small streams. 

Hmmmm...that hike sounds intriguing. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Well while we are on a roll here are some pictures I just took at Hoomaluhia gardens , Oahu today.

Pritchardia waialeale, native of Kauai, powerline trail area.

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

• Upvote 5

Here are some pictures of Pritchardia napalensis at Hoomaluahia gardens Oahu, . Same leaf look as P. minor, but no coloration underneath. from Kauai powerline trail areaIMG_0789.thumb.jpg.b9ea4fa6f191a76297253

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

• Upvote 4

All these superb photos of well-grown and habitat Pritchardias has motivated me to add some more photos.

First, glabrata. This was grown from seed collected in Amy Greenwell Garden in Captain Cook. The proprieter told me that his seed was collected from the type locality on Maui. Full sun location, 5-gal orange bucket provides scale. My palm, planted April 2012:

glabrata_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.0915f715e3

When I was at the National Tropical Botanical Garden on Kauai, I obtained seeds of P. lanaiensis, which Hodel has synonymized with glabrata. I planted four of these out in Aug 2012, again in open sun locations. The largest of the three that remain is this:

lanaiensis_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.b0ac24c2

The overall look is somewhat similar, though i still have some reservations. Neither has produced fruit, so I can't compare.

• Upvote 5

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

One of my original concerns about identifying Pritchardias was how to distinguish between arecina and martii, both having dark green leaves with whitish or brownish undersides. Having grown both to flowering and seeding maturity, I no longer have a problem. Here's why, preceded by a photo of my largest arecina:

arecina_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.e132b60b605

Arecina is more robust and faster growing than martii. The leaves are more folded, and the inflorescences are a lot longer. The leaf undersides are whitish as shown in the following photo: The nest photo shows some developing fruit, which on my trees are somewhat smaller than those of martii.

arecina_flwrsnlfundrsd_MLM_091517.thumb.

arecina_frts_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.47ef88

The following photo shows my largest martii, again growing in full sun:

martii_1_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.0786d63723

The leaves are slightly cup-shaped, and have undersides that are brownish, rather than whitish. (It's hard to get the underside coloration to show on the whole plant pictures.) Flowers and fruits are held close in by the plant:

martii_flwrs_MLM_050616.thumb.JPG.1978e1

martii_frts_2_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.2bf2f

More to come later, unless there are loud objections.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Pritchardia is one of my favorite Genera. P. pacifica is my favorite of the genus with it's flat leaves with the shallow divisions, but we're a bit too cold for them here. The Hawaiian species seem do better during the winter here, but not as well during the summers. I've noticed that if I start with 10-20 seeds, I usually end up with one plant that survives the summers. Here are the highlights of mine:

P. beccariana. This is my favorite Hawaiian species and it seems to do very well here under the right conditions.

IMG_0332.thumb.JPG.b84643c86db0e59352ab0

P. Schattaueri. This species does okay here, but is quite slow growing. IMG_0331.thumb.JPG.c08dcd6399e7231bb7099

P. munroi on the left and P. remota on the right:

IMG_0295.thumb.JPG.eb48f39a10b97c5f1d05c

P. hillebrandii under the plumeria:

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.be621ab120458c38b96f6

• Upvote 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'd like to show some pictures of Big Island native loulus. Mine shown are all growing in full sun and the orange bucket used for scale is a 5-gaL P. beccariana is native to my own east Hawaii Island environment. Here is one of mine as it appeared in December 2010. Seeds were from a planting in a park in downtown Hilo. They were planted by a local group known as the Outdoor Circle, the plants or seeds contributed by the late Donn Carlsmith. The trees in the park, unfortunately, were removed several years ago.

beccariana_1_MLM_122910_rsz.jpg

Here are my pair as they appear today.

beccariana_pair_MLM_091517.JPG

They have been flowering and developing fruit for almost a year. They are not reserved about flowering. Flowers and fruit are held fairly close in to the trunk. It's hard to keep weeds from sprouting above the petiole bases.

beccariana_flwrs_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.c7

So far, I've only gotten three seeds to sprout, but I expect better with time.

Now, for P. schattaueri, a west Big Island palm that enjoys a somewhat drier environment than P. beccariana. This species is very rare in the wild, only 12 trees remaining on the farm of the late George Schattauer. Here is my largest plant. Seeds were from a planting in a west coast park, the Amy Greenwell Garden in Captain Cook.

schattaueri_MLM_091717.JPG

I recently revisited the Koko Crater Bot. Garden on Oahu, where they have a grove of these palms. Here is one example:

schattaueri_KokC_040917_1.thumb.JPG.2b4b

There is a distinctive "droopy-leaf" look to this palm when mature. The highly divided leaves have pendant leaf tips, and older leaves hang down and appear to collapse around the margins while retaining their glossy green color. Although one of the tallest loulus, I have found it to be relatively slow growing.

Finally, I have a single specimen of P. lanigera. Seed was from the Nat. Tropical Bot. Garden in southern Kauai.

lanigera_MLM_091717.thumb.JPG.2b736a1f05

Leaves of this species are usually cup-shaped, not folded.

• Upvote 3

Mike Merritt

Nice pictures and history Mike, any idea if it is possible to go the farm and see the P. schattaueri?? Have you had the chance to see them in person?

aloha

Colin 

Hopefully next Saturday, I'll be able to see P. schauttaueri in habit and the planted offspring as part of The Nature Conservancy work day. They are heavily involved in their maintenance and own adjacent parcels where young palms are being propagated. 

I hope to post some photos.

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Yes, I knew that the IPS is working with the Nature Conservancy to protect P. schattaueri, also P. lanigera and another species, maybe P. beccariana, which is not endangered at present.

Here's documentation of three Kauai Island species that I am growing. First up is P. minor. Full sun, hillside location, 5-gal orange bucket for scale. I planted four in March 2013, of which two survive. They have been slow growers. Undersides have tomentum that should be more evident as they grow larger.

minor_MLM_091517.thumb.JPG.87cd907a3ba7e

Here is the whitish/brownish tomentum on the underside:

minor_lfundrsd_MLM_091817.thumb.JPG.cd36

Like Colin, I made the trip up the Waimea Canyon road to Koke'e near the Napali Coast of Kaua'i. P. minors are used for landscaping around the parking lots at overlooks along the road and around the small settlement at Koke'e. None were very large but many were producing fruit. These were my seed sources. One tree at Koke'e is shown here:

minor_Kokee_Kauai_3.JPG.d433340358fff240

Another loulu from this area is P. napaliensis. Here is one of my four planted out in November 2012, ATV in back provides scale:

napaliensis_1_MLM_091717.thumb.JPG.ae955

The leaves are generally flat, though one of mine shows some leaf folding. Fruits are small, and there always seem to be some ripe ones, a rarity in Pritchardias. My seed sources were the Hilo Arboretum and the Limahuli Gardens on the north coast of Kaua'i.

The Limahuli Gardens featured a small, quite attractive loulu with flat or slightly cup-shaped leaves with white tomentum on the undersides, labeled P. limahuliensis. However, Hodel states that these are correctly referred to as P. perlmannii. One of the cultivated trees provided seeds that grew into one of my plants:

perlmannii_MLM_091717.thumb.JPG.a0381c3a

Of the four I planted out in Aug 2012, this is the only one of the three that remain that has shown appreciable growth (8 x 8 x 16 inch blocks provide scale). The next photo shows the whitish tomentum:

perlmannii_lfundrsd_MLM_091717.thumb.JPG

Enough for now.

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Those are nice Mike, looks like you have a nice Pritchardia collection.

Interesting that your P. martii has rust colored lepida on the abaxial side of the leaves. All of my P. martii are silvery white as well as the ones I saw in habitat.  

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim and Mike, and everyone, here are some habitat photos of P. marti on the north shore, right by the kahukuensis area, Laie area behind BYU Hawaii. The summit area is loaded with them. 

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

• Upvote 4

Here are a couple of shots of what I'm using my best guess to be P. marti, at Queens Hospital, Oahu. a very old palm. Ive read that many species were brought in back in the 

day for landscaping in the downtown areas.

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2636 (1).jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks Tim and Colin for your encouragement. Also Kim. I'm astonished that I left out an important loulu in my Kaua'i post above. It is P. waialealeana, 5-gal orange bucket for scale:

waialealeana_3_MLM_091817.thumb.JPG.11da

This was tiny when I planted it out in February 2012. The long, narrow seeds were given to me by the proprietor of Floribunda who informed of the probable, but not certain, identity. Only one germinated. The appearance is consistent with all other images that I have seen of this species.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd add one more to the mix. It was purchased as Aylmer-robinsonii, which is likely a synonym for remota. A very undulating leaf blade, & also has quite an upright growth habit. It's been a moderately fast grower as well. 

Bret

Pritchardias in Florida:

P. hillebrandii (Montgomery)

IMG_0411.thumb.jpg.29658e83cec6b2ee5ecb7

P. glabrata (Montgomery)

IMG_0415.thumb.jpg.bbd9e75624ed25e47fb59

P. pacifica (Montgomery)

IMG_0414.thumb.jpg.8955f898f1da085ba95d1

P. remota (Montgomery: 

IMG_0454.thumb.jpg.f0c77c2bfa56377d07463

P. remota juvenile (Montgomery):

IMG_0416.thumb.jpg.006f634a0bbb17cf7eb9e

P. remota (Fairchild)

IMG_0476.thumb.jpg.230f85b1d4b2df5bcea7f

Pritchardia sp. (Fairchild)

IMG_0472.thumb.jpg.6963930bf9e4cef29557b

P. martii (Fairchild):

IMG_8062.thumb.jpg.ad1d260940213c9de73f3

P. thurstonii (Fairchild)

IMG_8024.thumb.jpg.c51681904b4b3e4079a3e

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Here's a group of Pritchardias in Vero Beach. They seem to be P. pacifica, but survived the 2010 freezes with less damage than the nearby coconuts. 

IMG_0566.thumb.jpg.3c38efdac250a56390e87

IMG_0567.thumb.jpg.c9ecf5f582d33ff2ae146

IMG_0562.thumb.jpg.b4e8c2e2eb0550431aea7

• Upvote 4

Keith 

Great pics Zeeth. Amazing how variable this genus looks depending on location. 

Bret

Pritchardia hillebrandi. Location Kuliouou valley, Oahu. Pretty darn blue, if not whitish.

aloha

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the photos Keith, Bret, and Colin.........nice stuff, especially the P. remota and P. hillebrandii.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Colin,

Great pictures of maideniana. The leaves have a very collapsed look to them (exactly like the pictures in Hodel's book). Almost like they're dried out. I've got a palm purchased as maideniana growing in shade which is very pretty, but doesn't look anything like those. I'm suspecting another ID mix up. :(

Bret

On 9/15/2017, 8:43:52, Matt in OC said:

The first is what I purchased as Minor. It looks very distinct, even while young, with a sort of deep green, flat, non glossy leaf on top and gold underneath.

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.62671127dabaf343c7dcc

The brown on the petiole here in your Pritchardia minor is similar to what I'm seeing on a still very young and small palm I acquired labeled as Pritchardia flynii.  I liked the look whatever it may turn out to be.  I got it in a 2 gallon pot in March of 2016 and planted it shortly thereafter.  I'm enjoying watching it grow and change.

20171209-104A8008.jpg

20171223-104A8151.jpg

20180103-104A8245-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

The brown on the petiole here in your Pritchardia minor is similar to what I'm seeing on a still very young and small palm I acquired labeled as Pritchardia flynii.  I liked the look whatever it may turn out to be.  I got it in a 2 gallon pot in March of 2016 and planted it shortly thereafter.  I'm enjoying watching it grow and change.

20171209-104A8008.jpg

20171223-104A8151.jpg

20180103-104A8245-2.jpg

Mine is not fast but oh so gorgeous even when small. It’s one of my favorites! 

E9470F96-C8E3-4311-9A9B-CA6FD56C22CC.jpeg

2F52AC52-D760-4007-BCC7-7FFF36114DFF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
On 9/16/2017, 5:11:25, Zeeth said:

P. beccariana. This is my favorite Hawaiian species and it seems to do very well here under the right conditions.

IMG_0332.thumb.JPG.b84643c86db0e59352ab0

The P. beccariana got a bit damaged during our freezing winter, but it's growing back very nicely. I'm planning on donating this to the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum by next spring so more people can enjoy it than just me.

MVIMG_20180629_202817.thumb.jpg.358df605

• Like 1

Keith 

• 5 weeks later...

Spectacular photos! I can only so far provide photos of my germinated Pr. pacifica seedlings and Pr. munroi. As far as I see P. munroi have drooping fronds as adult and are not as attarctive as other Pritchardias. I also have a small Pr. thurstonii in a pot that grows very slowly. None in the ground yet. It is very expensive here (Azores) to bust through solid rock, then buy planting soil and make your own mix the best you can. After planting one tree that way one can become financialy and physically devastated. One large truck of soil about $220 and about a week of rock busting. If you hire an excavator with a pneumatic hammer, it's about $50 to $120 an hour.

DSC06014.JPG

DSC06017.JPG

DSC06018.JPG

DSC06021.JPG

Edited by SoulofthePlace
  • Upvote 2

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

Boy, hats off to you in an effort to establish a palm collection. Depending on where one lives on our island, getting a decent spot to dig a hole can be a challenge. 

Good Luck!

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2018, 10:31:57, Zeeth said:

The P. beccariana got a bit damaged during our freezing winter, but it's growing back very nicely. I'm planning on donating this to the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum by next spring so more people can enjoy it than just me.

MVIMG_20180629_202817.thumb.jpg.358df605

Donated the P. beccariana to Kopsick! It should make a nice specimen in their garden.

20180818_123504.thumb.jpg.320e76ece3e42a

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Keith 

• 8 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, Zeeth said:

Donated the P. beccariana to Kopsick! It should make a nice specimen in their garden.

20180818_123504.thumb.jpg.320e76ece3e42a

Update on this palm. It's doing quite well! 

IMG_2103.thumb.JPG.5dabe9f8db6da96569787cecca99f666.JPG

• Like 3

Keith 

• 5 months later...

Wow! How did I miss this thread?! Amazing pictures of beautifully grown loulu, everyone!

Tim, how's your beccariana doing today? After seeing them off Stainback Highway some months ago, I've since become a HUGE fan (pun not intended)!

Any pics of Pritchardia lowreyana out there?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.