IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia Revisited

realarch

1 hour ago, ellidro said:

I bought a 5g munro from Jungle Music many years ago. I planted it and it was a rocket ship that is now seeding. I sent pics to Hodel because I wasn't convinced it was munroi and his very educated guess was maideniana.

Pritchardia maideniana is definitely a fast grower.  I got the one pictured below from Phil at Jungle Music as a 5 gallon (labled P affinis at the time) in the middle or early part of the 2000 decade.  I have another smaller one here in Leucadia which is also a fast grower.  If Don thinks it's probably maideniana, then its a safe bet to make.

20200517-104A6639.jpg

20200517-104A6653.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Since I have a problem playing the "favorite game", I won't say this is my favorite Pritchardia.  I will say that it is the Pritchardia that I would most hate to lose though.  Adam is also growing this palm which we got labeled as Pritchardia flynnii.  I also asked Don Hodel about this one and when he last saw it, he said it was inconclusive as to whether it is P flynnii or something else.  Perhaps someday when it produces fruit we will get answers, right Adam?  It looks like it will remain a smaller specimen among the Pritchardia's which is ideal for where I have mine growing under a Burretiokentia and a Howea belmoreana.

20210223-BH3I2808.jpg

20210226-BH3I2846.jpg

20210226-BH3I2848.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I actually got what is (hopefully) the real munroi from Floribunda last spring. The mother plant in his garden looks to be the real deal..

• Like 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

47 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

I actually got what is (hopefully) the real munroi from Floribunda last spring.

Have you put it in the ground yet Bret, or is it still growing up to planting size?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tracy said:

Have you put it in the ground yet Bret, or is it still growing up to planting size?

Tracy, threw it right in the ground ( about 1 gal. size). Starting to grow, but too young to show much distinction. Stay tuned..

• Like 3

Bret

• 8 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 8:57 PM, Zeeth said:

This thing seems like it's really picking up speed!

E974D3DB-24F3-49A9-8247-3198C4A035CD.thumb.jpeg.0f8ef198acd9f9d3aae1e8f09cd10324.jpeg

Another update:

2.thumb.jpeg.7b1c2bbd8304ddc3327e93f6c9df795d.jpeg

• Like 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 10 months later...

Might as well keep Tim's post rolling with a couple of pics. Please forgive me as I'm not as fast as you all when it comes to plantings. They will get in the ground sooner or later, hopefully. Kids you see. Their sports have been taking up almost a 100% of our time right now.

Anyway, here is the first hardyi that was put into the ground about 3-4 weeks ago from a 5 gallon Air-Pot. I don't think they really enjoy the pot unless you can give it daily watering as it tends to dry out very quickly with the holes that it has. 2 out of the 4 don't look as good because of this. The second picture showing the underside of the leaf is with the flash off, and the third is with the flash on. I can't get enough of this species. 

20220916_182328.jpg

20220916_182146.jpg

20220916_182133.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Here is the second one. I do not wish to show the other two right now as stated in the previous post. They do not look their best. I will post them as they get better.

Here is the second one, though not quite as photogenic as the first but holds a head full of hair and looks better than the other two. However, I don't know what happened to this one. It seems like it was reaching towards the rising sun which is why the crown is bending? I have since planted it in the opposite direction hoping that it will correct itself as it gets older. Anyone else have this problem?

20220916_175936.jpg

20220916_175950.jpg

20220916_180021.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some recent photos of P. lanigera. Having replanted to a different spot slowed it down a bit, but plugging along. 

Tim

F64B988E-0393-4C89-8623-4B6AF3B62D70.jpeg

2B89E540-65BA-40EB-BFA9-D0A8F2172791.jpeg

355835AB-F9D3-4D7D-B427-7B3FEBE86255.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Can’t help but add a couple: P. Bakeri, a beauty, sold gold underneath. 

E34F0C36-4C17-4264-89C9-5B02AE8F1BC3.jpeg

DB7BC9FD-D613-4C0D-8608-863133849A02.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Bret

Yeah Matt, it’s a different little thing. When I started this madness, I had no interest in Pritchardia. But within a few years, the big bit me big time. Suffice to say, I probably have more than I should have. But they make me happy, so…

• Like 2

Bret

For some reason these are a difficult grow in my area of hawaii which is frustrating. I do have a different soil (basic, sand/coral) than most of the state so I wonder if thats what they dont like. The irony is that the non-native species grow well as does Remote and Hillibrantii

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

On 9/26/2022 at 8:16 AM, realarch said:

Here are some recent photos of P. lanigera. Having replanted to a different spot slowed it down a bit, but plugging along. 

Tim

F64B988E-0393-4C89-8623-4B6AF3B62D70.jpeg

2B89E540-65BA-40EB-BFA9-D0A8F2172791.jpeg

355835AB-F9D3-4D7D-B427-7B3FEBE86255.jpeg

Tim, so courageous of you to dig it up and transplanted it at that size. How was the process? Was there any root disturbance with all the rock at your place?

Trying to figure out where to place mine. From pictures, I'm guessing the crown is on the wider side than say glabrata? Thanks for sharing your pics!

Keenan

17 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Nice big leave looking up underneath P. schataurii

2C29709E-338D-4E48-BCB5-8B80A0604568.jpeg

I need to get me one of these! How far away from structures do you guys recommend planting this species knowing how big they will eventually get?

17 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Finally, a dwarfish, very leafy P. perlmanii

F3B25F10-165C-45A3-A58D-74BB710E74E3.jpeg

Awesome. Not very often do we get to see pics of this one online. How do the undersides of yours look, @quaman58? The fronds look killer... 🤙

15 minutes ago, realarch said:

Wow Bret, those are looking good! That P. bakeri is one special palm.

Tim

That it is Tim! I can see how they were confused with P. martii, but the leaf shape is decidedly different. Much more deeply split. There's a nice healthy fruiting martii next door and it will give me the opportunity to compare as this one gets bigger. It seems to have hit it's stride in the past year or so. Thanks to you guys for bringing it to everyone's attention.  

• Like 1

Bret

Just now, Big Eye said:

I need to get me one of these! How far away from structures do you guys recommend planting this species knowing how big they will eventually get?

While the trunk is not huge, the spread is as wide as any of the larger Pritchardia.  I would think 3' minimum away from any structure, just to give it some breathing room.

• Like 1

Bret

Just now, Big Eye said:

Awesome. Not very often do we get to see pics of this one online. How do the undersides of yours look, @quaman58? The fronds look killer... 🤙

I'll snap a picture tonight. The undersides are very lightly scaled..

• Like 1

Bret

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Here’s a quick view of the leaflets underneath on P. perlmanii …

96B5379C-ECFA-40E8-9FD0-C12E2C5C6E26.jpeg

The underside of yours looks very much like mine. I wonder why they lumped limahuliensis with with perlmanii when the former shows heavy lepidia. Or did I mistaken what I read? Hmm... I would think napaliensis and perlmanii resemble each other more. Then again, what do I know. Lol. 

9 hours ago, Big Eye said:

Tim, so courageous of you to dig it up and transplanted it at that size. How was the process? Was there any root disturbance with all the rock at your place?

Trying to figure out where to place mine. From pictures, I'm guessing the crown is on the wider side than say glabrata? Thanks for sharing your pics!

Keenan

Keenan, the palm was still small when replanted and didn’t seem to have much of a setback, thankfully. The spread is nothing like P. glabrata and seems to less than P. martii. I’ll post photos of P. glabrata once I clean out all the growth surrounding it.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Bret, I keep looking at the underside of that P. bakeri……..unbelievable.

Tim

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I love the color of these flowers opening on Pritchardia maideniana... perhaps almost as much as the bees do.

20220929-BH3I9020.jpg

20220929-BH3I9022.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, realarch said:

Keenan, the palm was still small when replanted and didn’t seem to have much of a setback, thankfully. The spread is nothing like P. glabrata and seems to less than P. martii. I’ll post photos of P. glabrata once I clean out all the growth surrounding it.

Tim

Thanks for the info, Tim! Now I have at least some sense of how wide and far to plant the lanigera. Looking forward to seeing your glabrata as well 🤙

17 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Found a trio of Martii at Ho’omoluhia when we went to Oahu and fell in love. 😍

D31026EE-9002-4620-B2E8-84AF236706E1.jpeg

C0EC9C81-4B4D-415E-BEEE-A736BA1C6E36.jpeg

5C04BA06-B54F-4C26-AF51-5F6D3B245AAE.jpeg

Wowzers! Those leaf blades look napaliensis like!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

I love the color of these flowers opening on Pritchardia maideniana... perhaps almost as much as the bees do.

20220929-BH3I9020.jpg

20220929-BH3I9022.jpg

Very nice contrasting colors 🤙

On 9/28/2022 at 7:58 AM, Big Eye said:

Keenan, I was just at Floribunda, looking at Jeff's large P. schataurii.  Definitely give it some room,  Jeff mentioned it being one of the largest Pritchardia

I just planted one out at my Pepeekeo property along with a handful of other Pritchardias.  They are all getting scorched right now, but hopefully they root in and recover.  Lots of hand watering happening there right now due to our lack of rain lately

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Keenan, I was just at Floribunda, looking at Jeff's large P. schataurii.  Definitely give it some room,  Jeff mentioned it being one of the largest Pritchardia

I just planted one out at my Pepeekeo property along with a handful of other Pritchardias.  They are all getting scorched right now, but hopefully they root in and recover.  Lots of hand watering happening there right now due to our lack of rain lately

Thanks for your input, Jason. It is always greatly appreciated 🤙 I know I will never see it reach it's full height in my lifetime, but figured if it can be placed without causing headaches for my kids/grandkids in the future, it will be the best option in the long run.

I am with you on the rain situation. Though probably not as bad as your new property down by the ocean. Looks like today will be another scorcher!

Hope all is well with your new ventures! Can't wait to see pics when you do post them!

Keenan

• Like 1

Finally getting around to posting some photos of P. glabrata. Big spread on this specie and they require a lot of space.

The wide leaves and drooping tips is a unique feature. Prolific seeder as well, I mean prolific. 

Tim

46D12087-4FFC-4947-B686-308107CA64DE.jpeg

D4385BE7-26E2-4C76-88C1-FA11E4C6B28C.jpeg

D018CE4C-B05F-4BBE-917E-A671F0C76E5F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A couple of the leaves, both abaxial and adaxial. Not much ramenta on either surface. 

Tim

907BBFF4-C7CF-4D1C-B780-AF28C200306C.jpeg

EC169F7F-6C10-429F-BD4B-F18D2848D95D.jpeg

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Flowers and fruits like crazy. The good news is the fruits, both on the trees and on the ground, remain intact, so no rats!

Extremely heavy clusters. 

Tim

2EC900A0-37F1-4577-BB98-440C3767ED26.jpeg

E78CEABE-F93D-444F-8303-60CFADD20C6F.jpeg

3526D164-10C1-4199-8B3F-0593C4D874DE.jpeg

9E3C7C67-D51E-4FC7-9E2F-19DC9F5F2940.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii