IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Irma

RedRabbit

On 9/12/2017, 7:52:00, Palmaceae said:

I don't know how people lived in Florida before we had AC and electricity, as I will say, it is miserable in the Florida heat and humidity!!!! Only been without power 3 days now, and I know we are spoiled by taking for granted our comfort that we normally have. Plus since I have well water operated via electric pump , we have no water for showers, toilets, but we do have drinking water.  Technology sure has spoiled us ;).

Same! I never, ever want to forget the feeling of gratitude and relief I had when the power was restored! I hate realizing I've taken things for granted.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

16 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Well, at least you can go wild, not having to worry about offending those pain in the [expletive] tourists, like me.

We rarely worry about offending the tourists/snowbirds :P:floor:

Edited by Missi

1 hour ago, Missi said:

Same! I never, ever want to forget the feeling of gratitude and relief I had when the power was restored! I hate realizing I've taken things for granted.

Glad you got power! We are still without and without water.

Edited by Palmaceae

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Went to Home Depot tonight to get some batteries and they had generators! So I bought one and now at least we have a fan and the fridge going, tomorrow I will power up the well pump so we can have water again!

6 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Went to Home Depot tonight to get some batteries and they had generators! So I bought one and now at least we have a fan and the fridge going, tomorrow I will power up the well pump so we can have water again!

So glad to hear it!

Cindy Adair

20 hours ago, Missi said:

Strangely , and a little shamefully , I suppose , I must say that I've become a softy .

I grew up in Daytona Beach , went to schools with no AC (  all the way thru H.S.  1962 ) , lived in houses with no AC until about 1993.

Did not have a car with AC until about 2004 and now I can say that I never want to be without it again . Ignorance was bliss ???

I am skinny , and I do keep the house AC at 80 deg , and I'm in and out all day , and have no AC in the garage , where I work a fair bit on

my little projects , so maybe I am not a total sell-out .

Missi, I know what you went through. My garden lot is decimated - we lost 90+% of our hardwood trees and their shade. The treecutters will finish cutting up the mess Mon.

AND, my husband read in the news that there is a new storm, Lee, on its way to slam what's left of the eastern Caribbean islands. It's supposed to follow Irma's track. Please be it not so.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, there are 2 tropical storms out there in the Atlantic between Africa and the islands, Maria and Lee. But it ain't going to happen, no way, so let it be written, so let it be done! :D

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Missi, I know what you went through. My garden lot is decimated - we lost 90+% of our hardwood trees and their shade. The treecutters will finish cutting up the mess Mon.

AND, my husband read in the news that there is a new storm, Lee, on its way to slam what's left of the eastern Caribbean islands. It's supposed to follow Irma's track. Please be it not so.

I'm so sorry for your garden losses, my friend. We fired up the chainsaw today and cut until we could no longer handle the heat.

Just the thought of more hurricane s so soon nauseates me and strikes strong anxiety. I pray they change course. I'm exhausted. There are still people with no power in Naples. 

For those of you not in the IPS Facebook group, I'll share my worst damage photos here in this post.

My 2 largest Ceiba speciosa, Bombax ceiba, my rainbow euc, lemon-scented eucs, ylang ylang tree, variegated mahoe, moringa trees, powderpuff trees, Chamaedorea tepejilote trio, Dypsis cabadae, etc. etc. etc. 

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9294.JPG

Ugh I'll post the other pics later. My mobile is having service issues.

2 Alocasia 'Borneo Giant', Anthurium cordifolium, and various Zingiber, the ylang ylang tree, powderpuff tree, etc.

IMG_9275.JPG

Edited by Missi

• 2 weeks later...

Those leaning palms can be pushed upright.   Suggest soaking the soil first, then once righted, firmly prop.  As if you likely don't have fifty dozen other things to do.  Sabals look fine.  They seem almost perfectly designed for wind.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us