IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Irma

RedRabbit

Pressure down to 28.80 (975mb), made landfall in Marco Island just south of Naples, headed our way. 5.71" of rain and my street is flooded. Gust to 70mph.

Edited by Palmaceae

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Can't believe how fast the pressure is going down, it is now 28.66 (970mb). 6.63" of rain.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Royal fronds falling on our heads. Sound like someone dropped a horse without a parachute. So glad we don't have a tile roof. I'm getting a severe "hurricane headache" (really) caused by falling barimetric pressure. Only another 9-10 hours of this to go. Just another day in Paradise.

Sounds like a Glen Campbell song . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Pressure now at 28.45 (963mb), the eye is getting closer, 8.11"  of rain. My Anemometer is protected from the wind we are getting from the NE so can't get an acurate reading, but definitely over 70mph.

2 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Pressure now at 28.45 (963mb), the eye is getting closer, 8.11"  of rain. My Anemometer is protected from the wind we are getting from the NE so can't get an acurate reading, but definitely over 70mph.

WHOA

Wind, whatever, but that falling pressure.

Praying

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Near the poorly defined eye, the pressure was down to 28.19 (955mb), raising now. Wind switching from the NW then west, then SW. Then the storm surge will be coming, not sure how bad it will be since it weakened. Power went out about 45 minutes ago. What I can see of the garden, there is a lot of damage but we survived! 13.73" of rain so far.

Edited by Palmaceae

Checking in every so often to see how you are doing Palmaceae. Don't know how much longer we'll be able to get posts from you with the power out now and wondering about cell service which I'm guessing you've been using. Worried about PalmatierMeg and her family.

BTW I haven't been on in a while but wondering how AliceHunter2000 is doing. As I recall he's along the western coast as well. Hope you're safe if you are reading this.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Watching CBSNews online and they are reporting Irma is now Cat 2 and thinking it will be a Cat 1 around Ft. Myers. That would be good news for all concerned.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

21 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Checking in every so often to see how you are doing Palmaceae. Don't know how much longer we'll be able to get posts from you with the power out now and wondering about cell service which I'm guessing you've been using. Worried about PalmatierMeg and her family.

BTW I haven't been on in a while but wondering how AliceHunter2000 is doing. As I recall he's along the western coast as well. Hope you're safe if you are reading this.

We are doing fine, thank you for asking. We had gust up to 100mph, over 15" of rain, and lots of damage in the garden, but we are fine and that is the most important thing. The eye crossed just a couple miles east of us and we are now on the back side of it.  Lost power about 2 hours ago, but still have cell service. Wind is still really howling out there but too dark to see anything. Should have hurricane force winds for a few more hours. 

The storm could have been a lot worse so we were blessed.

1 minute ago, Palmaceae said:

We are doing fine, thank you for asking. We had gust up to 100mph, over 15" of rain, and lots of damage in the garden, but we are fine and that is the most important thing. The eye crossed just a couple miles east of us and we are now on the back side of it.  Lost power about 2 hours ago, but still have cell service. Wind is still really howling out there but too dark to see anything. Should have hurricane force winds for a few more hours. 

Thanks for sharing, as I sit here on my (for now) safe West Coast redoubt.

There's gonna be a day, when you can return the favor, yes.

SO GLAD TO HEAR

19 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Of course it is the people endangered still by Irma that are my primary concern!

Those that went on the IPS pre or post tour to Cuba remember seeing the namesake Copernicias in Falla, Cuba.

I recall a small covered porch we were under until some of us decided what the heck and went out into the rain to see the trees!

This news report caught my eye:

"As it scraped Cuba's north coast early Saturday, it produced a sustained wind gust of 118 mph, and a gust to 159 mph was reported at Falla, Cuba, in the eyewall of the hurricane."

I worry about the family that lives there and wonder if their house was flattened?

Cindy Adair

Our house came through this like a trouper. No noticeable damage as of now even to screens. We didn't even lose electricity for more than a few moments. No Direct TV but thank goodness for Netflix & Amazon Prime. I really think palm plantings at the edges of our property helped screen the house from the worst winds. Royal fronds that hit the metal roof slid to the ground. No storm surge (Irma shifted east).

That's the good news. Looks like most palms survived but our Garden Lot is devastated. Almost all our tropical flowering trees: African tulip, royal poinciana, rainbow eucalyptis, tabebuias and on & on blew over or shattered. We have tree debris littering the ground all over. The yard is still ankle-deep in water and totally saturated. We got a herculean task cleaning that up. My husband is not particularly fond of palms so he picked tropical flowering trees and he is really bummed about what happened. He's wondering if it is possible to stand them up again but they are so large we would need a construction crane. I'm for cutting them up and not replacing them (except with palms that deal so much better with hurricanes) but I know he will balk at that. I'm really worried about his physical & mental health because of this. I'm ready to tackle all this debris one step at a time but he sees the whole project and despairs.

I definitely need to rethink what we grow & how much. Because, speaking frankly, I likely will be widowed in the next few years.

But we are blessed despite everything. Finished breakfast & coffee so gotta get to work. Pastor Randy, so glad you & Theresa are well. I hope other FL PTers check in.

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Good to hear you and Tim are ok. We are good, and no damage to the house. The garden, well different story, but that is OK because we are all fine. We still do not have power. I took my mom and a church member that stayed with us back to their trailer and thank God their trailers were fine, but some others has a lot of damage. I will post pictures of my garden soon.

I pray all made it through this storm ok, could have been much worse.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Our house came through this like a trouper. No noticeable damage as of now even to screens. We didn't even lose electricity for more than a few moments. No Direct TV but thank goodness for Netflix & Amazon Prime. I really think palm plantings at the edges of our property helped screen the house from the worst winds. Royal fronds that hit the metal roof slid to the ground. No storm surge (Irma shifted east).

That's the good news. Looks like most palms survived but our Garden Lot is devastated. Almost all our tropical flowering trees: African tulip, royal poinciana, rainbow eucalyptis, tabebuias and on & on blew over or shattered. We have tree debris littering the ground all over. The yard is still ankle-deep in water and totally saturated. We got a herculean task cleaning that up. My husband is not particularly fond of palms so he picked tropical flowering trees and he is really bummed about what happened. He's wondering if it is possible to stand them up again but they are so large we would need a construction crane. I'm for cutting them up and not replacing them (except with palms that deal so much better with hurricanes) but I know he will balk at that. I'm really worried about his physical & mental health because of this. I'm ready to tackle all this debris one step at a time but he sees the whole project and despairs.

I definitely need to rethink what we grow & how much. Because, speaking frankly, I likely will be widowed in the next few years.

But we are blessed despite everything. Finished breakfast & coffee so gotta get to work. Pastor Randy, so glad you & Theresa are well. I hope other FL PTers check in.

2 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Good to hear you and Tim are ok. We are good, and no damage to the house. The garden, well different story, but that is OK because we are all fine. We still do not have power. I took my mom and a church member that stayed with us back to their trailer and thank God their trailers were fine, but some others has a lot of damage. I will post pictures of my garden soon.

I pray all made it through this storm ok, could have been much worse.

HOORAY FOR YOU BOTH

Meg, sorry to hear about your husband and his flowering trees.

Randy, if the garden's a mess, at least you and your wife are okay.

5 minutes ago, Alan_Tampa said:

No power here, small branches down. Some leaning plants. But nothing major.

We were worried out here.

I've been trading texts with a few others near Tampa, and, it looks like the Big T dodged a big B, one more time.

I texted Jeff Searle and he said the nursery fared decent, but major damage at home. Have no heard specifics, but I would guess his home garden got hit hard.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

34 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

So glad to hear from you!

I care about you all. 

How's your garden?

Did your protection plan work? Hope it did.

PS: I planted the baby roystoneas that popped up from the seeds you sent a few days ago in some liners. Growing fast.

I'm happy to report zero damage and the power managed to stay on. :D

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

It appears to be a bit better than the horrors of Harvey, though we haven't heard from anyone in Key West.

Hope you're all right down there.

The east coast of Florida got hit harder, the "dirty side."

Things turned out very very badly for whose ever house this is, or was. Nice palm garden, though. (Glommed this off "Firehouse" magazine.)

hollywood_fire.59b5bc342a219.jpg.1884be6

FYI: Carl Lewis [@carllewis ] Director, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden [@fairchildgarden] posted some pictures of the garden post-Irma on his Twitter feed. Below is one of them.  

FTBG.png

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

FYI: Carl Lewis [@carllewis ] Director, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden [@fairchildgarden] posted some pictures of the garden post-Irma on his Twitter feed. Below is one of them.  

FTBG.png

Ouch!

But, note how well the palms held up!

• Upvote 2

Sad to see those toppled trees but yes many of us were so very lucky. I fear those heavily damaged are without power and too busy to post like in the Keys.

I have fond memories of the IPS Biennial there and so many special gardens that may be no more.

I am having the classic issue of where to find shade near my house in my much more open canopy, now that most bananas and many other high branches are flattened/pruned.

Not nearly enough room under my little 12x 20 car port cover shade structure for all my shade lovers in pots awaiting planting.

Perhaps time for another? Too far to haul them all to shade far from the house. 

Some may have burned already.

Beware all of those with big changes in sun exposure!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

I don't know how people lived in Florida before we had AC and electricity, as I will say, it is miserable in the Florida heat and humidity!!!! Only been without power 3 days now, and I know we are spoiled by taking for granted our comfort that we normally have. Plus since I have well water operated via electric pump , we have no water for showers, toilets, but we do have drinking water.  Technology sure has spoiled us ;).

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 3

So sorry especially about your water issues. I was so lucky to get a water tank delivered near dark the day before Irma skirted PR. Even the slow flow of a gravity system allowed me to do more than you can do. Now of course back on city water, but it goes out here occasionally especially as they do repairs, so will be used again.Lots of people have them here.

Wish I could send some your way!

Cindy Adair

37 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

So sorry especially about your water issues. I was so lucky to get a water tank delivered near dark the day before Irma skirted PR. Even the slow flow of a gravity system allowed me to do more than you can do. Now of course back on city water, but it goes out here occasionally especially as they do repairs, so will be used again.Lots of people have them here.

Thanks Cindy! I hope you did not get much damage from Irma.

40 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Cindy, the higher you can get that tank, the more pressure you will have..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

No damage to the property.  Power is out and might be until next week.  Might have to trim the avocado trees down a little now as they are firmly planted, but the trunks are leaning.  The path of the storm brought it pretty much right through the center of the county.  Bartow got hammered with oaks laying down everywhere and power poles snapped.  It was a pretty rough one, but I still think 2004 was worse.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Hi all,

good to heat that nobody was hurt. I was following the news and saw all the damages. Really hard to believe for a German guy..

The picture of  Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden reminded me on our honeymoon in 1992 when we came to Florida a few weeks after Andrew. It was not possible to enter the park because of all the fallen trees. I'll have to come back once again to see it.

Hope you all come back to normality soonest.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Still no power here, going on 5 days now, lots of others have power but we are still waiting. Too bad hurricanes didn't happen in the winter time when it is cooler :D.

At least there is less lines at the gas stations and restaurants are starting to open. Maybe we will be back to near normal soon? But will take a long time for the garden to recover.

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Still no power here, going on 5 days now, lots of others have power but we are still waiting. Too bad hurricanes didn't happen in the winter time when it is cooler :D.

At least there is less lines at the gas stations and restaurants are starting to open. Maybe we will be back to near normal soon? But will take a long time for the garden to recover.

Well, at least you can go wild, not having to worry about offending those pain in the [expletive] tourists, like me.

13 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Hope all gets back to normal ASAP!

Please keep us updated.

Thanks Dave and Jim. We are still very blessed because a lot of people have it worse off than we do.

Today is going to be a tough day as we are bringing in our 13 year old Chihuahua, Gizmo to be put to sleep, he has been sick for a while. Been a rough week that's for sure. But thank God for His strength!

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 1

Gosh that was a scary 6, or so, hours. Here's my story.

We stayed home because we have many animals and would NEVER dream of abandoning them, among other reasons. My property is in inland Naples which was just to the right of the eye wall so we got absolutely pummeled. Prayers answered, our house is just fine; short of patches of shingles here and there, but tar paper in tact. Chicken/turkey pen is kind of sinking into the ground on one side, and the tarps on the roof were obviously torn up (birds waited out the storm in the garage, all other animals were indoors). Spent lots of time time removing the old tarps. Was out of power for over 4 days so inside the house got up to nearly 90 degrees. I can't sleep when it's hot, no matter how tired I am. Just got power (and running water), mobile and internet service back last night.

My gardens were destroyed. The trees that didn't fall over because of the winds and saturating water were snapped in half. I'm hoping I can cut the trunks below the parts that snapped off, and the trees will heal and survive. My rainbow eucalyptus, Bombax ceiba, and variegated mahoe snapped in half. My Ceiba speciosa trees simply fell over, regardless of their massive root systems, so they'll have to be cut down in order for us to right their roots. I can just hope and pray that they'll shoot new stems up. Can that happen? I adored all of those trees. Big (Wasmannia auropunctata [electric ant] infested) branches of my pink powderpuff tree broke off on top of my Chamaedorea tepejilote trio and Dypsis cabadae. I haven't been over to access whether they might make comebacks yet. The yard is so swamped and an agility course of fallen trees and branches. All in due time. We just got our first chainsaw yesterday. Other than those and the 4', 6' and 8' Roystona regia tipping a bit, all other in-ground palms are just fine. The potted plants evacuated my lanai to my garage for a couple nights. They're back out in the filtered light and humidity and are quite happy. 

I'm glad I can post my sorrowful story of damages to my garden here where others will understand my sadness, and not simply brush it off saying "Well at least all you guys and your house are okay". Yes, it is important, and I'm infinitely thankful, that we all survived unscathed, but my plants are incredibly important to me as well, and I'm sickened that my beautiful plants that I put so much time, resources, sweat, and body soreness in raising up and caring for have been badly damaged, if not killed. Gardening is my therapy, so that kinda makes my plants my therapists. I know you guys understand. You can see some of the damage in the following picture of my back lot. Pic taken on Monday, the day after Irma raged through.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

We had gusts of 140+ in Golden Gate Estates, according to the weather radio. Felt the ground and house shake when the worst of the eyewall hit us. Scary.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: