IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Irma

RedRabbit

Watch out guys this is really a Monster!
Because of the strong connection between The Netherlands and Sint Maarten there is a lot attention for this storm. The first pictures shown a completely destroyed island, what a mess. Dutch militairy on his way to help, rebuild and secure the safety on the island. 

Sint Maarten.png

Sint Maarten2.png

Sint Maarten3.png

• Upvote 5

Southwest

Irma broke the worldrecord, the storm is catogory 5 for already 40 hours with wind speeds from at least 300 kph. That is already 9 hours longer than typhoon Haiyan. 

Hurricane Jose is coming as well which could hit the same islands again, not as strong but still a "decent" Hurricane. 
I really hope for those people Jose will turn a little and stay on the ocean. 

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=tropical/tropical_ge_14km_visir2&width=640&height=480&number_of_images_to_display=24

Edited by Exotic Life
  • Upvote 1

Southwest

Moving back to the west again, which I though it may do, just as the UK and European has said from the beginning. So a little better news for the East coast but worse news for West coast and the center of the state.  Its a huge storm so please everyone be careful, praying for everyone's safety.

I have been trying to get a generator for a week now and no e to be found. I called Lowes today and they just got 50 in, it took me 5 minutes to get there and by the time I got in the store, they were all gone, some people had 2 in their carts!

Its a huge storm so please everyone be careful, praying for everyone's safety.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_4.png

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_5.png

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 4

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

All the very best to those in Irma's path. I'd be running away from this one without a hesitation.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

22 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

I am really hoping that Irma pulls a Matthew and wobbles out further into the Atlantic (I'm sorry bahamas). If my house is spared two years in a row I will be sooo thankful. There's going to be a lot of dead palms unfortunately. 

PLEASE put your family/loved ones and self before anything else! Stay safe, it is not looking that great.

PalmTreeDude

14 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

Watch out guys this is really a Monster!
Because of the strong connection between The Netherlands and Sint Maarten there is a lot attention for this storm. The first pictures shown a completely destroyed island, what a mess. Dutch militairy on his way to help, rebuild and secure the safety on the island. 

Sint Maarten.png

Sint Maarten2.png

Sint Maarten3.png

Sad to see... Prayers go out to every affected and in the path.

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Irma is threading the needle, bad news to all. Needless to say but I will: almost too late to evacuate from SFL. Not much worse than running out of gas on a gridlocked highway with this monster bearing down on you. We have to finish moving my container garden into the house & garden shed and close shutters

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Irma is threading the needle, bad news to all. Needless to say but I will: almost too late to evacuate from SFL. Not much worse than running out of gas on a gridlocked highway with this monster bearing down on you. We have to finish moving my container garden into the house & garden shed and close shutters

Please find somewhere safe Meg, this one is a real bitch

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

. Not much worse than running out of gas on a gridlocked highway with this monster bearing down on you. 

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Right, reminds me of Katrina, so many deaths on the freeway evacuating in TX and then the storm ended up in LA. It can be a tougher call to make than people think. Wish y'all well down south. 

To all in Florida I wish you all well.  Be safe in this storm.  I'm boarded up and as ready as i can be.  Looks like its jogging more to the SW side as of now.  Just be safe.

All the best for all who are effected by Irma. Unbelievable what already happened on the Caribbean Islands.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Just sitting here with the shutters up and potted plants tucked snugly against the house (but considering moving them to the garage) waiting for Irma. Currently, she's headed straight to us here in SW FL. I preferred Wednesday morning's prediction. Mom is here with her 2 dogs, a coworker and his girlfriend will be staying here, in-laws might be coming as well. Thank goodness for concrete blocks and hip roofs. Now hopefully they stand up to their good reputations. Please continue to send the prayers and good vibes.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Looking like Hurricane Donna in 1960. Caused the County Seat of Collier County to be moved from Everglades City to Naples, Fl. Gutted the State on West Coast and hit Orlando as a Cat 1 before exiting and  re-intensifying with 105 MPH at Daytona, Fl. Went on to hit  Wilmington, NC as Cat 2 and therafter LI, NY.  Reviewed news item on reinsurance link suggesting damage similar to Donna would result in 50 Billion dollar loss!

What you look for is what is looking

12 minutes ago, Missi said:

Just sitting here with the shutters up and potted plants tucked snugly against the house (but considering moving them to the garage) waiting for Irma. Currently, she's headed straight to us here in SW FL. I preferred Wednesday morning's prediction. Mom is here with her 2 dogs, a coworker and his girlfriend will be staying here, in-laws might be coming as well. Thank goodness for concrete blocks and hip roofs. Now hopefully they stand up to their good reputations. Please continue to send the prayers and good vibes.

If you're on high ground you stand a fighting chance of being safe from storm surge

Praying for good karma and indigestion for Irma 

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

27 minutes ago, Missi said:

Forecast suggests directly over you Sunday, Monday 

If it goes eerily quiet and only then, you would probably be in the eye of Irma,great time to take some photos of the centre with its cloud ring exposed,then Bunker down again.some folks did it up in northern Queensland, amazing shots.don't go outside.

Wishing you all the best,sit tight.

Edited by palmad Merc
Spell check
  • Upvote 1

Myself and most of the world probably is watching Irma barrelling in towards Florida, holding our breath hoping it weakens or doubles back on itself and goes back out to sea, but I seriously doubt that will happen now. The news over here is saying it's the size of Tasmania. It's wider than the whole state of Florida. Anything that takes a 300 kph direct hit will likely be flattened. Motor homes and caravans stand no chance in that scenario. For those who couldn't get out stay as safe as possible. Your life is the most important thing to keep. Most material possessions can be replaced. Bunker down and don't do anything silly with this one. Flying debris and flooding are probably as dangerous as the winds themselves. Take care palmtalkers in Florida. My thoughts are with you guys in Florida.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just thinking practically for those bunkered down in its path. If the forecast track map is correct Irma will cause serious infrastructure damage to most of the state. So you will likely experience power outages and maybe a total drop out of the cellular mobile voice and data network. This means your mobile phone and computer cellular modem may not work. If you have a cb radio, either a handheld or some other battery operated 2 way radio, charge it all up and get it ready as you may need it. If you have extra batteries get them charged as well. If you have a battery powered am/fm radio get that running too. The radio stations may be knocked out, but they might not be and could be a valuable source of information. If you have a satellite phone, spot tracker, or even a personal location beacon get them handy and charge them all up. As they use the satellite they are virtually immune to the weather situation. The emergency services will also be experiencing communication difficulties and will likely revert back to the cb channels and whatever else is at their disposal.

I'm not trying to freak anyone out unnecessarily but my work is communications and deal with emergency departments here in Oz. Communications are so important in a situation like this.

All the best guys.

Headed our way to SW Florida. Home Depot and Lowes closed early today and stores are being shuttered up. No gas stations open, everything is buttoned up, if you don't have what you need by now you are not getting it. Cape Coral looking at 110 mph + substained winds on Sunday unless it changes course.

Praying for everyone in our state.

13 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Needless to say but I will: almost too late to evacuate from SFL. Not much worse than running out of gas on a gridlocked highway with this monster bearing down on you. 

Geez, this thing is bad news, hopefully the eye of the storm will stay to the east.  I'd didn't evacuate for  Rita but heard the horror stories of people spending 2 days to get to Austin, tough call between rough it out on the side of the freeway or at home  

Edited by topwater

If the current forecast holds or it moves further west I'm leaving town tomorrow night. Things are getting downright scary for Southwest Florida. Best of luck down there, I really hope it goes east of Naples so it will spare everyone the worst of the eye-wall. 

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Back up to cat 5 and looking to pass right over Ft. Myers/Cape Coral. Really bad news and worst of all possible worlds. Hurricane Donna (1960) is legendary around here. It wiped out what there was of Ft. Myers Beach. We are located just outside of the mandatory evacuation zone. LCEC will cut power just before it hits. I have a feeling we will be without power for quite a while (3+ days with Charley). The eye will go right over us. The local tv meteorologist suggested we think of the eye as a huge tornado with wind gusts up to 160+mph.

Red Rabbit, my best to you if you decide to go. Tampa has major storm surge issues (the SWFL coastline is considered the most vulnerable in the State). I just saw on tv that I75 at Gainesville is in gridlock. Make sure you have plenty of spare gas in case filling stations are out. Gas stations locally have started to close altogether to protect their employees. Pastor Randy & Cape Garrett, my prayers are with you.

Sat. morning we need to move the last of our potted plants that can fit into the house. The rest will have to hunker down against the house. Most of the Dyckias may be on their own. I want to "corral" them with bags of mulch to shield them from the wind but my husband is reluctant. He's been a real trouper about helping with the potted palms but I think fatigue is getting to him so I can't complain. Only palm left is the dwarf Areca, which requires a hand truck to move. Will get to that tomorrow. Our niece & husband may drop by to help with final preparation details. Our son & daughter-in-law will stay with us until the storm passes. They just moved into a rental apt. that provides no hurricane shutters. They were supposed to close on the sale of their house yesterday but the buyer's mortgage company deep-sixed closing. They moved too late to obtain renter's insurance so have brought over valuable & treasured possessions to keep them safe.

Sorry about babbling on. It's 2 a.m. and I can't sleep. I am not fearful but worried this thing will turn all of FL to wreckage. Some parts of FL, i.e., Tampa, haven't seen a hurricane like this in decades. It's the chance everyone who lives here must take. We may luck out for years but inevitably the dice come up snake eyes. Our Big One is on the way.

• Upvote 5

Meg

Florida

Latest run of the EURO has Irma slightly more to the west after hugging the north coast of Cuba a bit longer than was suggested earlier.. Suggested landfall this time around is somewhere between Ft. Meyers, or near the south end of Tampa Bay. Eye May skirt the coast also.

Again though, and can't stress it enough, this can change, as it has countless times already.

I hope everyone throughout the state is ready or safely evacuated. For all who have decided to stay, fingers are crossed, and will be awaiting updates once it is safe to report in. Thinking about numerous friends, family, ex Co workers, and forum members in the path of this thing atm.

Frustrating trying to prepare for Irma, at first I considered leaving town (we had some mandatory evacuations) but path kept moving further west.  Those of you on the west coast (especially deep sw fl) should consider a quick trip to the east coast.  Should be plenty hotels available.

Edited by The7thLegend

Just put our area in the mandatory evacuation zone. All of Cape Coral is scheduled to get saltwater storm surge. Never happened before. BTW, winds are picking up and all shelters in Cape Coral are full. We are in no mood to travel south to a local sports arena to hang out with 1,000s of refugees. Our niece decided to decamp to GA to visit an old friend and left her 3-legged cat with us. We're staying put with pets & palms. We're so tired from storm preparation. I hope all the layers of mulch I've added over the years have raised our elevation above any surge. A girl can hope.

• Upvote 4

Meg

Florida

15 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Just put our area in the mandatory evacuation zone. All of Cape Coral is scheduled to get saltwater storm surge. Never happened before. BTW, winds are picking up and all shelters in Cape Coral are full. We are in no mood to travel south to a local sports arena to hang out with 1,000s of refugees. Our niece decided to decamp to GA to visit an old friend and left her 3-legged cat with us. We're staying put with pets & palms. We're so tired from storm preparation. I hope all the layers of mulch I've added over the years have raised our elevation above any surge. A girl can hope.

I am with you Meg, we are sheltering in place at our home. Have everything shuttered up and as ready as we can be. Praying for you and Tim's safety. If you need anything let me know.

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 1

Very concerned for all of you SW coast Fla guys. We have relatives living on the east coast, some who evacated even out of state and a MIL in assisted care in shelter mode. Had been expecting this news for them only to wake up today and see Irma's moved more to the west. I'm sure there are many on your side of the coast who decided to stay in place like some of you. The surge aspect is the worst news. If you can move to better ground in the coming hours, please do so. 

Also please don't worry about your palms at a time like this with this coming at you. Think about storing enough fresh water for later when services are out. Think about the food you have around to eat and having can openers and a bbq grill maybe tucked away inside which you can pull outside later to heat stuff (and certainly don't use inside due to carbon monoxide). Locate that bottle of clorox for future use. Really late to be planning for the worst but use the remaining hours to their best (important papers, medications, etc). Keep your electronics on charge as long as the power holds out. Best of luck and hope to hear from you guys after it's passed.

For those out of the Florida area I saw this BuzzFeed article on the storm surge maps which I thought was helpful in envisioning these areas expected to be impacted: https://www.buzzfeed.com/danvergano/storm-surge-maps  and here's a link to the National Hurricane Center's "Potential Storm Surge Flooding Map" which allows you to zoom in to areas not shown in the BuzzFeed map sections: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/093751.shtml?inundation#contents

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

18 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Red Rabbit, my best to you if you decide to go. Tampa has major storm surge issues (the SWFL coastline is considered the most vulnerable in the State). 

Thanks Meg, the car is full of gas and we're leaving very early tomorrow morning. I live in a block home and I'm not at any risk of storm surge so the situation isn't really dangerous here. I'm mostly just leaving to avoid the inconvenience of having the power out. 

7 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I really wish you luck there. I'm pretty concerned for your safety given you live on a canal and you're in the direct path of Irma.

I'm hearing it may be shifting further west... hopefully much further.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I hope Meg & all the west coaster's are going to be OK. We keep getting tornado warnings.............good luck to all & stay safe!

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

The NHC just shifted the track east, so Cape Coral may see landfall. Lots of rain right now and windy, gusting to 40mph. We will see the worse of the winds later this afternoon, then the storm surge.

Still a cat 4 storm.

Praying for everyone's safety.

radar_flanim.gif

Edited by Palmaceae

9 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Cut a hole in your attic

Praying at breakneck speed

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Coral Gables.

Debris fills the tree-lined streets of a residential area, Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, in Coral Gables, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

Naples.

A planter is blown over from the effects of Hurricane Irma outside a business in Naples, Fla., Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

Royal fronds falling on our heads. Sound like someone dropped a horse without a parachute. So glad we don't have a tile roof. I'm getting a severe "hurricane headache" (really) caused by falling barimetric pressure. Only another 9-10 hours of this to go. Just another day in Paradise.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

Looks like Roystoneas.

They can handle the wind.

Slide 6 of 74: Mandatory Credit: Photo by ERIK S. LESSER/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock (9049175e) A person photographs the fierce winds with his mobile phone as the full effects of Hurricane Irma strike in Miami, Florida, USA, 10 September 2017. Many areas are under mandatory evacuation orders as Irma approaches Florida. The National Hurricane Center has rated Irma as a Category 4 storm as the eye crosses the lower Florida Keys. Hurricane Irma in Miami, USA - 10 Sep 2017

Pressure dropping fast, 29.02 (982mb) and dropping quickly, gust up to 65mph. Seeing some broken palm fronds and bananas are trashed. Like Meg said, another 10 hours of this.

Edited by Palmaceae

Been thinking of you guys since I woke up this morning and admittedly afraid of how serious this is for you there. Not sure how long you will be able to post but sure is good to see when you do.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14