Jump to content

Coconut palms 1 year anniversary in the ground San Diego/Tijuana region


GottmitAlex
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can't wait for these guys to get a tad bit taller. Not much, just a tad.

20200417_135939.jpg

 

20200417_140903.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

They're looking quite happy there Alex, well done mate!

Thanks Dave!

  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Alex, they are looking great! I still believe your Golden Malayan will fruit, just wait and see, you are treating them very well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cluster said:

Hello Alex, they are looking great! I still believe your Golden Malayan will fruit, just wait and see, you are treating them very well.

danke Pedro!

 

20200501_185509.jpg

20200501_185513.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good, Alex.  Keep us posted.  I think if you pour the water to them over the hot dry months, you should really get some good growth this summer.

John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Looking good, Alex.  Keep us posted.  I think if you pour the water to them over the hot dry months, you should really get some good growth this summer.

John

Thanks John. As you can see in the pics, the cement is a bit wet due to the shower I gave 'em.

  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Thanks John. As you can see in the pics, the cement is a bit wet due to the shower I gave 'em.

You are welcome.  When you water them, aside from showering the leaves, how do you do it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hand water them. Have the spigot at "shower" setting and I pour. After each plot is saturated, I double back and pour on the same spout setting, onto their leaves. However I do it hastily and after sunset.

20200430_151508.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I hand water them. Have the spigot at "shower" setting and I pour. After each plot is saturated, I double back and pour on the same spout setting, onto their leaves. However I do it hastily and after sunset.

20200430_151508.jpg

Okay.  It seems to be working good for you.  Here due to our humidity and about 3 times the amount of rainfall that you get there, I don't need to worry about showering the leaves.  What I do is leave the hose running a stream of water about the diameter of my index finger for 20 minutes on each of the 4 sides of my 10ft. tall in overall height Coconut Palms, and for 40 minutes on each of the 4 sides of my big Green Malayan Dwarf.  Even though it is much larger, since it is planted right up by the front patio, it gets good runoff from the roof when we get rain, and it gets a little bit of moisture from the faucet dripping a little bit adjacent to it, so I figure the 40 minutes of watering on each side of it is adequate.  I wish I could water them more as my soil is about 98% sand and is just about as sandy as the island just to my east, but if I watered any more, I would have an outrageously high water bill, since here in Corpus Christi, we have some of the highest water rates in Texas, all done to us by the city officials so they can give a BIG sweetheart corporate discount water rate to the refineries and other industry here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And as far as frequency, I try to water about once every 10 days this time of year, and once every 2.5 to 3 weeks in the winter time.  During the hot dry summer, I would like to water once per week, but that would drive up my water bill too high, so I make them wait a little longer just to keep my water bill down to a more affordable level.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

And as far as frequency, I try to water about once every 10 days this time of year, and once every 2.5 to 3 weeks in the winter time.  During the hot dry summer, I would like to water once per week, but that would drive up my water bill too high, so I make them wait a little longer just to keep my water bill down to a more affordable level.

Oh John.

I water them daily. Saturate and leave them be.  I begin mid-spring. (Once the 80's hit). Their plots are pure sand. PURE. 

Drainage is a given.

My oldest is not even 4 years old....

I alternate between salt and fertilizer monthly. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Oh John.

I water them daily. Saturate and leave them be.  I begin mid-spring. (Once the 80's hit). Their plots are pure sand. PURE. 

Drainage is a given.

My oldest is not even 4 years old....

I alternate between salt and fertilizer monthly. 

Oh, okay.  Then if you are watering that much, hopefully you will get really good growth this summer.  Your oldest ones should really take off.  I think the saying goes for palms and I suppose lots of trees, "The first year they sleep.  The second year they creep.  And the third year they leap."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Oh, okay.  Then if you are watering that much, hopefully you will get really good growth this summer.  Your oldest ones should really take off.  I think the saying goes for palms and I suppose lots of trees, "The first year they sleep.  The second year they creep.  And the third year they leap."

Yup. It's midnight here in Commie, err, I mean California and I'm with them. Just love these palms.  2 years (winters) without protection. 

15884034059433128122090814329761.jpg

I bet you can tell which is the eldest...:D (4 years old come late July)

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fortunately, I'm so infatuated and enveloped with my palms, I am outside with them just to make sure they are ok.

Lol it's midnight.  Listening to Deutch waltzes and just having a great time.

20200502-005750.jpg
20200502-005655.jpg
20200502-005640.jpg
20200502-005728.jpg
20200502-005711.jpg
20200502-005717.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Yup. It's midnight here in Commie, err, I mean California and I'm with them. Just love these palms.  2 years (winters) without protection. 

15884034059433128122090814329761.jpg

I bet you can tell which is the eldest...:D (4 years old come late July)

Oldest one on the right?  I like going out in my yard late at night too.  It's peaceful then and very relaxing among my trees and plants.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Cluster said:

Looking great Alex.

 

Do you still use the lights during the winter, to warm the base?

Thanks Pedro.

Only during certain winter days when the lows drop below 8C.

Except for the baby red Tahiti dwarf, all the planted coconuts have been fully exposed (no tarps) for the past two winters.

The red Tahiti dwarf, since it's a seedling, I do place a tarp over it (i do not tent it) leaving the sides fully exposed in order to have air flow.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Thanks Pedro.

Only during certain winter days when the lows drop below 8C.

Except for the baby red Tahiti dwarf, all the planted coconuts have been fully exposed (no tarps) for the past two winters.

The red Tahiti dwarf, since it's a seedling, I do place a tarp over it (i do not tent it) leaving the sides fully exposed in order to have air flow.  

Btw, my oldest( golden malayan dwarf)  is not even 4 years old.

Can't wait to see their development come August 29th.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Btw, my oldest( golden malayan dwarf)  is not even 4 years old.

Can't wait to see their development come August 29th.

 

Alex,

What's the significance of August 29th?

John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Alex,

What's the significance of August 29th?

John

4 years in the ground for a 1 leaf seedling (Golden Malayan dwarf)

It probably germinated, based on an educated/empirical guess, 5 months prior to that date.

  • Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

4 years in the ground for a 1 leaf seedling (Golden Malayan dwarf)

It probably germinated, based on an educated/empirical guess, 5 months prior to that date.

Oh, okay.  I forgot where you said you got it from?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Oh, okay.  I forgot where you said you got it from?

"Flahreeduh" July, 2016 (loved the way Bob Hoskins said it in "Beyond the sea", 2004)

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, Cluster said:

Looking great Alex.

 

Do you still use the lights during the winter, to warm the base?

One other thing, which is very important: even if our temps hit 9-16c at any given night, I do not activate the brood lamps. I want the palms to acclimate (even after 1, 2-3.5) years to their surroundings. (And they are)

Of course this is at 33 latitude/140 Meters over sea level. 

 

  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever had success in actually getting a coconut tree to fruit in San Diego, or anywhere in California for that matter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

Has anyone ever had success in actually getting a coconut tree to fruit in San Diego, or anywhere in California for that matter?

Whoever you are: I am told that in the Salton Sea there was a fruiting coco (priduced oblong fruit) but it has since been cut/removed/edited by the new owners. 

Anywho...  love your moniker.

 

  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put some in on a south facing wall in 2017 and they’re still alive. I understand they’re Malayan.  It was more of an experiment to see what would happen.  This last winter was the first one I didn’t have some sort of cover over them but I did put some old school fossil fuel burning Christmas lights at their base for the over nights.  Two of the three look pretty healthy. As best I can tell I’m zone 10A surrounded on three sides by 10b about 9.5 to 10 miles inland. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 5/20/2020 at 10:23 PM, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

I put some in on a south facing wall in 2017 and they’re still alive. I understand they’re Malayan.  It was more of an experiment to see what would happen.  This last winter was the first one I didn’t have some sort of cover over them but I did put some old school fossil fuel burning Christmas lights at their base for the over nights.  Two of the three look pretty healthy. As best I can tell I’m zone 10A surrounded on three sides by 10b about 9.5 to 10 miles inland. 

How are they doing fer ya?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2020 at 12:23 AM, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

I put some in on a south facing wall in 2017 and they’re still alive. I understand they’re Malayan.  It was more of an experiment to see what would happen.  This last winter was the first one I didn’t have some sort of cover over them but I did put some old school fossil fuel burning Christmas lights at their base for the over nights.  Two of the three look pretty healthy. As best I can tell I’m zone 10A surrounded on three sides by 10b about 9.5 to 10 miles inland.Bob 

Bob, post some pics, and give us all an update.  Where did you get yours from?

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, GottmitAlex said:

How are they doing fer ya?

I got them from Florida-coconuts.com back in October of 2017 and had glass panels over them the first two winters.  this last winter my kid and I put tar paper down to run off the water and put lights under them.  The burn tip fronds are what has been there a while.  It looks like three new fronds are growing out of the middle and right one.  The left one has always been a little stunted.  I think they like it where they are and hope they make it through another winter.  I hit them frequently with miracle gro and every now and then dump some ocean water on them (when the kids come home with clams or grunion).  How are yours doing?

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

I got them from Florida-coconuts.com back in October of 2017 and had glass panels over them the first two winters.  this last winter my kid and I put tar paper down to run off the water and put lights under them.  The burn tip fronds are what has been there a while.  It looks like three new fronds are growing out of the middle and right one.  The left one has always been a little stunted.  I think they like it where they are and hope they make it through another winter.  I hit them frequently with miracle gro and every now and then dump some ocean water on them (when the kids come home with clams or grunion).  How are yours doing?

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

They're coming along. The oldest turns 4 years old late next month.

Same here with the scorched leaflet tips. 

Those Santa Ana's do a number on the poor cocos every year.

1594340890865936698214331584325.jpg

15943409250441330852412540804528.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

I got them from Florida-coconuts.com back in October of 2017 and had glass panels over them the first two winters.  this last winter my kid and I put tar paper down to run off the water and put lights under them.  The burn tip fronds are what has been there a while.  It looks like three new fronds are growing out of the middle and right one.  The left one has always been a little stunted.  I think they like it where they are and hope they make it through another winter.  I hit them frequently with miracle gro and every now and then dump some ocean water on them (when the kids come home with clams or grunion).  How are yours doing?

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Looking good.  I would suggest an ALL ORGANIC Fertilizer though, like what I use, MicroLife All Biological Organic Fertilizer 8-4-6 Ultimate, with over 70 Minerals and Micronutrients.  I also us the MicroLife Ocean Harvest  4-2-3 as a foliar spray with REALLY good results.  Mine are doing good, and my biggest one, My Green Malayan Dwarf, over the last week has produced its first inflorescences!!! 

John

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

I got them from Florida-coconuts.com back in October of 2017 and had glass panels over them the first two winters.  this last winter my kid and I put tar paper down to run off the water and put lights under them.  The burn tip fronds are what has been there a while.  It looks like three new fronds are growing out of the middle and right one.  The left one has always been a little stunted.  I think they like it where they are and hope they make it through another winter.  I hit them frequently with miracle gro and every now and then dump some ocean water on them (when the kids come home with clams or grunion).  How are yours doing?

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Are you close to the coast or inland?

I apply salt (from our local SouthBay Salt works) every other month and palmgain to the cocos as well.

 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GottmitAlex, are your coco's in San Diego or south of the border?  Are the salt works you mention those mounds in the south of San Diego Bay just east of IB?  Thank you both for your advice.  All I want is to see a coconut fruit here in San Diego, even if it's a puny one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

GottmitAlex, are your coco's in San Diego or south of the border?  Are the salt works you mention those mounds in the south of San Diego Bay just east of IB?  Thank you both for your advice.  All I want is to see a coconut fruit here in San Diego, even if it's a puny one. 

Yes. My cocos are in Tijuana,MX. Very close to the San Diego border (eastern side), right under Otay Mesa.

And yes, the Salt Works salt is from there. 

@Tracy can give you a lot more info regarding their wonderful salt.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is, I am not 100 miles south of the border.  I am right by it. Yes, I am 12 miles inland.  Hence my topics about my palns begin with "San Diego/TIjuana".  32.51 north latitude. 

You know, I once told a famous youtuber in Salt spring Island, Canada about my coconuts. He asked "where are they? " I replied: " south of San Diego, In Tijuana,MX" he then said, and I'll never forget:" Oh, in Mexico you grow anything."  I just sighed....

Now that you know about my whereabouts, 

Here again, are you coastal or inland?

 

 

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@GottmitAlex, He mentioned he’s 9.5 to 10 miles inland.

Your palms are coming along real nice. Looking good. Do you still have the B. alfedii mixed in there? It looks like possibly in the middle?

Greg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

@GottmitAlex, He mentioned he’s 9.5 to 10 miles inland.

Your palms are coming along real nice. Looking good. Do you still have the B. alfedii mixed in there? It looks like possibly in the middle?

Greg

Good eye. It's in there.

It is an understory palm compared to the Cocos nucifera (and older btw)  But it's carrying its own weight. 

 

 

15943646931932068576021410156878.jpg

 

20200710_001144.jpg

 

20200710_001921.jpg

 

20200710_002432.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alex, you are certainly continuing to demonstrate that the myth that Cocos cannot be grown in the state of California is busted!

Your extraordinary level of attention to every aspect of these palms' care really shows.  They are beautiful and so healthy.  Keep it up man!

My potted Cocos are a similar size and I certainly have some experience with the species but yours look better.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Alex, you are certainly continuing to demonstrate that the myth that Cocos cannot be grown in the state of California is busted!

Your extraordinary level of attention to every aspect of these palms' care really shows.  They are beautiful and so healthy.  Keep it up man!

My potted Cocos are a similar size and I certainly have some experience with the species but yours look better.

Thank you very much Mike.

Let's keep pushin' the zones.

I'll give a detailed update come Aug 29th. (4 year anniversary).:D

 

  • Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...