IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Harvey - Texas

IHB1979

Rapidly losing light, the water has gone down, you can see the edge of the bulkhead and, unbelievably, I still have some dirt behind it. 

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

• Upvote 1

I'll shoot as many as you like, thanks for the Pandovision, it puts thing in perspective.  

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Does salt water kill asian scale?

Looks like you're about to find out!

Thak heaven you're safe!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you guys for listening to my stressed out blather.  I spend more time on a work related website where you have to have 8 years of college even to belong. If anything, the IQ on palm talk is a notch or two higher.  Those guys are my colleagues and coworkers, you guys are my tribe. Thanks again, peace and love. 

dgs

• Upvote 9

@TexasColdHardyPalms That graphic is outright frightening.  That's basically a year's worth the rain here in Central Florida.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Agree, an astonishing amount of rainfall for sure. It's crazier to think that such totals not only break local or state records, but may only be out done by some places in Hawaii.

Looking at it from a different angle,  Phoenix averages just over 8" a  year. Many locals can recall what a 6" surprise downpour did several years ago in town here. Heck, a monsoon Strom a few weeks ago practically shut down part of the 60 near where it intersects i-10 in Tempe.. and that was just an inch or two of rain. I can't imagine what seeing 15" fall in less than two days might do, let alone more.  ...if i read correctly, Houston averages somewhere in the 40-50" range per year.. and there are still 4 months or so  left in the year. 

Glad that everyone who posts here from the area is safe, and to see the region as a whole coming together in such a time.  Was closely following live news coverage, W.U's blog feed, and posts here all weekend.

Saw a picture posted earlier off a twitter feed showing i-10 near the Jefferson County line west of Beaumont, completely flooded, looking more like stepping out into the wind whipped Gulf of Mexico than the freeway I have traveled numerous times. Having spent nights stopped there while on the road, i hope no one was trapped at the rest stop closest to this area. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@TexasColdHardyPalms That graphic is outright frightening.  That's basically a year's worth the rain here in Central Florida.

That's 3-4 YEARS worth of rain out here!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

11 hours ago, topwater said:

Thank you guys for listening to my stressed out blather.  I spend more time on a work related website where you have to have 8 years of college even to belong. If anything, the IQ on palm talk is a notch or two higher.  Those guys are my colleagues and coworkers, you guys are my tribe. Thanks again, peace and love. 

dgs

We wish the same to all PTers in TX. Destress here when you have to.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

10 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Four average years' worth of rain here!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

59a6c33ac8ca1_floodedhouse.jpg.cdacba35a59a6c34446c21_lookitdatwater.jpg.c55d80859a6c3531d473_reswaterreleasedintohood.j

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-houstons-hospitals-are-coping-with-harvey/ar-AAqYEUN?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp#image=AAqEBwG|21

The disastrous flooding in and around Houston is a huge challenge for the region's medical centers. Around 20 hospitals have been evacuated or discontinued service in the greater Houston area since Harvey made landfall. As many as 1,500 patients have been transferred.

As Tropical Storm Harvey dumped record amounts of rain in the region, Sarah Hunter went into labor.

About 40 nurses and staff are still stranded inside the hospital.

"Their houses have been destroyed and they are not able to return home," Howell said.

But like so many emergency workers, they stayed on the job to help patients like Sarah and her husband.

"Every single staff member and nurse and doctor that's been here, they have family members," Wesley Hunter said. "For them to stay focused on my family, that really, really means a lot to me."

Once again, I must say that I am astounded about how relatively light and fact-free media coverage has been of what may very well turn out to be one of the worst natural disasters in the U.S. in recent history. IMO, it has largely been pre-empted by frivolous nonsense. I am at a loss as to why. And along these lines, massive monsoonal flooding on the Indian subcontinent with thousands of deaths and millions left homeless, but Kim Kardashian's photo shoot...

• Upvote 2

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%e2%80%98he-could-hear-the-kids-screaming%e2%80%99-six-family-members-swept-away-trying-to-flee-harvey/ar-AAqWt5q?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp

And then the van was floating, bobbing, rocking in the rain-pummeled waters. Sammy’s father yelled at him to try the pedal, Ric said. He tried, but wheels underwater only spun the van, sending it off the pavement entirely and into the bayou.

Only Sammy made it out. He squeezed himself through his half-open window, Ric said, grabbed a tree branch and clung to it. Then he turned to his mother and father and grandnieces and nephews, and the sinking van that trapped them.

On 8/29/2017, 9:58:10, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

43563.jpeg

It's tragic that Houston is receiving it's third 500-year flood in 3 years.  They've far exceeded a 1 in 1000 year rain event.  One of my old meteorological textbooks shows a 60 inch rain as being a 1 in a million years event...  These numbers are just unreal.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

23 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%e2%80%98he-could-hear-the-kids-screaming%e2%80%99-six-family-members-swept-away-trying-to-flee-harvey/ar-AAqWt5q?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp

And then the van was floating, bobbing, rocking in the rain-pummeled waters. Sammy’s father yelled at him to try the pedal, Ric said. He tried, but wheels underwater only spun the van, sending it off the pavement entirely and into the bayou.

Only Sammy made it out. He squeezed himself through his half-open window, Ric said, grabbed a tree branch and clung to it. Then he turned to his mother and father and grandnieces and nephews, and the sinking van that trapped them.

:(

Think it's probably time for the actuaries to re-edit their event probability tables, particularly as they relate to climate tail-risks. Three x "five hundred year floods" in three years seems like we ain't in Kansas anymore. If you run back the clock on measure catastrophic flooding in Houston region to the the early 1990s, it appears there are five or six x "five-hundred year floods" in the past 25 years. By definition, a simple event average of one per five years isn't really a five hundred year event anymore.

3 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

It's tragic that Houston is receiving it's third 500-year flood in 3 years.  They've far exceeded a 1 in 1000 year rain event.  One of my old meteorological textbooks shows a 60 inch rain as being a 1 in a million years event...  These numbers are just unreal.

Looks like the actuaries blew that one.

Likely not for the last time. Since the evidence shows a warming planet, and since cyclones like Harvey arise from and are sustained by heat, it would be logical for yesterday's "500 year event" to be more common.

But, just how much more common?

If we keep paying out to flood insurance victims to keep rebuilding on the same site on floodplains (18 times, in one particularly eggregious case reported in the Politico piece), then about every five years is my guess.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/harvey-is-a-1000-year-flood-event-unprecedented-in-scale/ar-AAr3jWn?li=BBnb7Kz

"As Harvey’s rains unfolded, the intensity and scope of the disaster were so enormous that weather forecasters, first responders, the victims, everyone really, couldn’t believe their eyes. Now the data are bearing out what everyone suspected: This flood event is on an entirely different scale than what we’ve seen before in the United States."

The guys quoted in the article above really are 2 + 2 = 5 stupid. THIS is the problem with the people advising the planners about probabilities as to where flood levels might rise to...they are literally Homer Simpson with a Ph.D in stats. The value and defense of their hubristic, chest-pounding predictions are profoundly negative for urban planners in low-lying urban areas, not pluses.

*facepalm*  

I just want to shake some people in media until they stop talking or they somehow get smarter.  A 500 year flood is not once every 500 years, it means under average conditions there is a 1/500 chance every year...  

However, with current short and long-term climate trends there can be many years in a row that are not "average" and so can have back to back to back events that would "on average" happen only once every 500 years.  

Of course, that is based on the idea that our "average" year is still accurate and applicable.  I will not say that Harvey was caused by global warming, that would be irresponsible of me and something a bit beyond my education and pay-grade.  But, (big but) Harvey hitting this hard was certainly exacerbated by changes we have not yet fully quantified.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I-10 in Houston.

ap_17243546717037_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551

Beaumont, looks like I- 10

ap_17243540335598_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551

[Feces]-Fire!

gettyimages-840962136_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h

I HELP, SO I AM!

ap_17242551146209_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551

gettyimages-840625024.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=5

Get these people some palms!

ap_17242012070492_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551

Fun was had by some

ap_17241774637747_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551

ap_17241018155702_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551

An interesting read about urban development and flooding. I don't want to preach as I know the Houston metro is currently reeling from this disaster and now is not the time to point fingers, I just figured some readers on here might find this interesting and informative. Published December 2016: https://projects.propublica.org/houston-cypress/

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

16 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

ap_17241018155702_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551

Hey looks like that queen, the washies, sabals, and what appears to be a CIDP in the background made it through far better than that trailer. 

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

tell us how you are y'all!

Port Arthur, TX

Slide 12 of 146: Rescue crews save residents in Port Arthur, Texas on September 1, 2017.  Houston was limping back to life on Friday one week after Hurricane Harvey slammed into America's fourth-largest city and left a trail of devastation across other parts of southeast Texas. As flood waters receded in Houston and residents began slowly returning home other nearby towns such as Rockport, Beaumont and Port Arthur were struggling to get back on their feet. / AFP PHOTO / Emily Kask        (Photo credit should read EMILY KASK/AFP/Getty Images)