IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Harvey - Texas

IHB1979

1 hour ago, topwater said:

How's your place Ed?  The water topped my bulkhead last night, never seen this happen in 27 years. 

I live on a "hill", 30 feet elevation, so no water in the house. I lost power at midnight, on battery power now. The power company say 5pm to restore power but unless they have an air boat, I am not holding my breath.

Ed

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Ed in Houston said:

I live on a "hill", 30 feet elevation, so no water in the house. I lost power at midnight, on battery power now. The power company say 5pm to restore power but unless they have an air boat, I am not holding my breath.

Ed

Great that you're high and dry!  I never would have thought a storm in Corpus could hammer Houston this bad, amazing. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Ed in Houston said:

Ed

3 hours ago, topwater said:

Great that you're high and dry!  I never would have thought a storm in Corpus could hammer Houston this bad, amazing. 

Glad to hear you're in one piece.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My brother lives in Houston just north of Hunters Creek Village and I have not heard from him since Friday evening. I do know the area where he lives floods during "normal" tropical storms ,but water has never come close to the house. They are on the 500 year flood plain. They were saying on CNN that this was a 1000 year flood event.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

13 hours ago, scottgt said:

My brother lives in Houston just north of Hunters Creek Village and I have not heard from him since Friday evening. I do know the area where he lives floods during "normal" tropical storms ,but water has never come close to the house. They are on the 500 year flood plain. They were saying on CNN that this was a 1000 year flood event.

Yeah, this is Houstons Katrina, it's a total nightmare.  

1 hour ago, topwater said:

Yeah, this is Houstons Katrina, it's a total nightmare.  

I've heard you've had about 50 inches (4' 2"; 1.1 M) of rain, all at once.

When I lived, very briefly, in Houston in 1979, flood control was everywhere, as was evidence of damage from a recent flood. You can only prepare so much. This is like a 9.0+ earthquake; so much, you can't really act, just re-act as best you can.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

From my perspective, there still is a surreal lack of urgency in the reporting on Harvey from the national media. I am not sure what is guiding this narrative, but there has been a consistent underwhelming sense of alarm about what this very dangerous storm might do from the git-go. The financial media - my primary news source - is very much wrapped around the impact of this storm on Gulf Coast refining capacity, Cat reinsurer losses, and the positive (?) "broken window" impacts of this on the economy (i.e. runs on the home repair stores, need for major car repairs or replacement, rebuilding homes, etc.) while skating over the ruinous impact that this event is having on the lives of millions of people, many uninsured and living from paycheck to paycheck, in the fourth largest metro area in the US.

We live in interesting times.

• Upvote 2

This is a news feed picture from the Morgan Stanley building in downtown Houston. It's that tall. Look at all that water.

59a446e98d0c2_HurricaneHarveyaftermath.j

• Upvote 1

59a4471c3788d_HurricaneHarveyaftermath2.59a4471bcc053_HurricaneHarveyaftermath3.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

From my perspective, there still is a surreal lack of urgency in the reporting on Harvey from the national media. I am not sure what is guiding this narrative, but there has been a consistent underwhelming sense of alarm about what this very dangerous storm might do from the git-go. The financial media - my primary news source - is very much wrapped around the impact of this storm on Gulf Coast refining capacity, Cat reinsurer losses, and the positive (?) "broken window" impacts of this on the economy (i.e. runs on the home repair stores, need for major car repairs or replacement, rebuilding homes, etc.) while skating over the ruinous impact that this event is having on the lives of millions of people, many uninsured and living from paycheck to paycheck, in the fourth largest metro area in the US.

The Wall Street Journal is playing that, but they're also looking at people stories, too, at least in the print edition.

I think the deluge of people stories is just starting, and will continue long after gas prices stabilize. This is a real baddie, for sure.

This is MORE RAINFALL on top of what's already fallen as of Monday, Aug. 28, 2017.

Ouch.

Wind and Rain Forecast

• Upvote 1

http://abc7chicago.com/amp/weather/how-to-help-the-victims-of-hurricane-harvey/2348094/

I understand that, for now, it's best to send money, since roads are blocked and supplies might not get where they're supposed to.

I just gave $100 to the Salvation Army. They're cost-effective and they stick around. http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

• Upvote 1

Like him or not, Greg Abbot has been sober and consistent from the start that this storm would probably bring unprecedented amounts of rainfall and damage to the area. He has been backed up the entire time by fairly vocal spokespeople at the Nat Hurricane Center. He has just activated the entire TX National Guard (~12,000 serving) to assist in rescue and recovery efforts, so pretty clear they are concerned about what lies ahead.

8 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

Like him or not, Greg Abbot has been sober and consistent from the start that this storm would probably bring unprecedented amounts of rainfall and damage to the area. He has been backed up the entire time by fairly vocal spokespeople at the Nat Hurricane Center. He has just activated the entire TX National Guard (~12,000 serving) to assist in rescue and recovery efforts, so pretty clear they are concerned about what lies ahead.

Katrina, hopefully, this ain't.

I recall a description of a hurricane decades ago, with lots of dead and abandoned cats and dogs.

People are hauling critters to Austin; here's a charity for them, too. https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurricane-harvey-evacuations/

• Upvote 2

What I am most worried about at the moment is the Brazos river that flows through the S.W. suburbs of Houston.

http://today.agrilife.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BrazosRiverBasin-graphic.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FvzYxE112xk/hqdefault.jpg

The levees that secure the S.W. suburbs of Houston from the Brazos river are only built to secure the community from a 800 year flood, a 57 feet flood stage, and the forecast is for the river to reach 59  feet, a 1000 year event. If the levees are over topped I fear the levees will be eroded releasing entire flow of the Brazos river into the surrounding community; making the New Orleans Katrina event look like a mud puddle.

Time to say a prayer or two.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/5c/16/925c162facaafcbe3c1e79de01b20770.jpg

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 3

Lordy.

Praying here, too.

I'm unaffected but out here on the west side, a controlled release of the Barker and Addicks resevoirs is about to flood surrounding communities. Evacuation already under way. A hard decision for sure. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• Upvote 1

The Harvey rain event is coming to an end in Houston. Harvey is back in the Gulf  south of Galveston moving eastward and is expected to turn north and move ashore in Louisiana.

I expect that most all of the bayous will be back within their banks in the next 24 hours in Houston but the larger rivers in the surrounding areas in SE Texas will take longer to fall back below flood stage.

In the last 3-4 days, I picked up 45 inches of rain bringing the total for the last 12 months to 100 inches. The highest rainfall within Harris county (essentially Houston) was 48 inches about 5 miles south of my place in the southern tip of the county. Rainfall across across the county was about 25 inches north and west to near 50 inches in the southern part of the county. I would not be surprised to see rain amounts greater than 50 inches just east of Houston.

Tomorrow I am hopping to see a yellow UFO in the sky.

https://st.depositphotos.com/1052233/4785/v/950/depositphotos_47854879-stock-illustration-cute-sun.jpg

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Ed in Houston said:

The Harvey rain event is coming to an end in Houston. Harvey is back in the Gulf  south of Galveston moving eastward and is expected to turn north and move ashore in Louisiana.

I expect that most all of the bayous will be back within their banks in the next 24 hours in Houston but the larger rivers in the surrounding areas in SE Texas will take longer to fall back below flood stage.

In the last 3-4 days, I picked up 45 inches of rain bringing the total for the last 12 months to 100 inches. The highest rainfall within Harris county (essentially Houston) was 48 inches about 5 miles south of my place in the southern tip of the county. Rainfall across across the county was about 25 inches north and west to near 50 inches in the southern part of the county. I would not be surprised to see rain amounts greater than 50 inches just east of Houston.

Tomorrow I am hopping to see a yellow UFO in the sky.

https://st.depositphotos.com/1052233/4785/v/950/depositphotos_47854879-stock-illustration-cute-sun.jpg

Ed in Houston

You got through this.

Now the real work starts.

23 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

As long as the levee holds, TC should be back online in no time.  Every third dude in town has a lifted F350 running taxi service to haul guys to the plant. The Houston complex, quién sabes.

Edited by topwater

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/29-year-old-with-no-medical-expertise-takes-command-of-crowded-texas-shelter-that-guy-is-a-hero/ar-AAqQI8w?li=BBnb7Kz

Screenwriter Zachary Dearing had moved to Rockport from Lexington, Kentucky, just three months ago to live with his father, a cancer survivor, according to US News. He went to a shelter on Friday ahead of the devastating storm.

After realizing that there were no supplies or management at the shelter, he stepped up to the task to help the most vulnerable citizens.

As the Texas Emergency Medical Task Force arrived and asked who was running te shelter, everyone pointed to Dearing, who was able to update them on the situation, according to the news outlet.

I would challenge anyone to counter the claim that this tragedy on a massive scale was second tier online news yesterday, very much on par with the coverage of the release of the new Taylor Swift album.

There ain't no fixin' stupid.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

I would challenge anyone to counter the claim that this tragedy on a massive scale was second tier online news yesterday, very much on par with the coverage of the release of the new Taylor Swift album.

There ain't no fixin' stupid.

You are absolutely correct and it's shameful.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, topwater said:

My worst fear, wind howling out of the north.  It ain't over yet.

Thanks for posting your pictures, this is brutal. I combined your images to an animated gif, to get a better sense of what you're dealing with. Hang in there...

EZrvc32.gif

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Pando said:

Thanks for posting your pictures, this is brutal. I combined your images to an animated gif, to get a better sense of what you're dealing with. Hang in there...

EZrvc32.gif

Wow, that is so cool.  I tried to post a short video but I guess the file was too big.

My thoughts are with you all in the middle of this horrific tragedy. Please continue to keep us posted with first hand news. Stay safe.

Cindy Adair

Bad to worse, I shouldn't complain, my house is still high and dry except for a minor roof leak :rant: and my fave 30 yr old CIDP may wash away.

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, topwater said:

Bad to worse, I shouldn't complain, my house is still high and dry except for a minor roof leak :rant: and my fave 30 yr old CIDP may wash away.

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

Does salt water kill asian scale?

Lol, I have no idea.  At this point I won't have true salt water for a month anyway.  The Trinity River is going to push all of the salt water out of Galveston Bay for a while.  All the wood floating in the first pic is boat house remnants, they are all going to be gone.  You saw what it looked like before, last time you were down.  

Edited by topwater

5 hours ago, topwater said:

Wow, that is so cool.  I tried to post a short video but I guess the file was too big.

That's what YouTube is for :)

Here is another with the third frame added that you just posted

SKKqlgm.gif

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1