IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tips for cutting off suckers

GMann

Can anyone provide tips for cutting off suckers?

The species I have are Chamaerops, Acoelorrhaphe, and Trithrinax campestris.

With the Chamaerops every time I cut off the suckers they just grow back. Is there a way to cut off the sucker so it does not keep growing back?

With Acoelorrhaphe, when I cut off a sucker it sometimes makes the other large head nearby die. Is there a way to cut off the suckers without affecting the health of the other heads? I.e. can I apply some anti-fungus or antiseptic of some sort to the wound?

With Trithrinax both of the above seem to happen, the whole palm seems to go into poor health but when it finally recovers the heads that were cut grow back again as well.

• Upvote 2

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

What I did to stop that problem with suckering palms was to,

cut the whole plant off at ground level.

I suppose that I should mention, I am joking of course. :P 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

G-Man;  You need to cut the suckers more deeply into the main trunk, at least with Chamaerops.  Dust the wounded surface area with a heavy layer of powdered sulfur.  I use an electric reciprocating saw, (SawZall or equivalent). :winkie: 

San Francisco, California

I am cutting them as closely as I can to the trunk. Or if it is under the soil I am cutting them to the ground level. Perhaps I need to wait until they grow bigger to cut them? Right now they are just tiny little one leaf suckers. Maybe if they grow a little more it would be easier to cut them to a low enough point??

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

23 hours ago, GMann said:

I am cutting them as closely as I can to the trunk. Or if it is under the soil I am cutting them to the ground level. Perhaps I need to wait until they grow bigger to cut them? Right now they are just tiny little one leaf suckers. Maybe if they grow a little more it would be easier to cut them to a low enough point??

All efforts will prove futile. At least with the reciprocating saw you will be able to do the job easier and faster and thus more often. As long as you are not yet seasonally restricted because of some nasty palm killing borer lurking for an open wound, job will be very easy. Only difficult case is when offshoots sprout higher above ground from the base of existing leaves (yes this is also a possibility especially in Phoenix genus), because the removal of the offshoots would mean also removal of existing leaf. 

• Upvote 2

I saw an old PalmTalk thread in which someone was advocating for applying kerosene to the unwanted suckers after removing them.  Purportedly, they do not grow back after this process has been administered, at least for Phoenix Reclinata.  If I recall correctly, this PalmTalker used a paint brush to apply the kerosene.   I do not recall seeing any negative feedback on how this impacted the overall health of the palm.

Personally, I would never apply a flammable agent anywhere on my palms or property, but I thought it was an interesting PalmTalk thread nonetheless.

I remember that post about applying kerosene also!  I considered trying that on a Chamaerops but never did and I no longer have this palm.  Has anyone out there done this with any negative results?

Jon

Jon Sunder

I will give the Kerosene trick a try and we'll see how it goes.

I found the relevant thread here:

Noone reported any negative consequences.

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

On 8/8/2017, 9:57:31, GMann said:

It is known that the mix of dimethoat (a pesticide) with parafin oil is highly toxic to palm tissue, which is true. So a applied this mix on the wounds aiming with one stone at two birds, namely disinfection and killing the meristem. Guess what, all offshoots reprouted. 

Got those pictures before an hour. I removed those offshoots in the end of last April, I have even ruined a reciprocating saw blade and a chain blade of my chain saw and the bloody suckers have resprouted nevertheless. 

IMG_20170811_123935.thumb.jpg.72dcc613e6IMG_20170811_123840.thumb.jpg.79c844ad62IMG_20170811_123850.thumb.jpg.6996e473bfIMG_20170811_123927.thumb.jpg.6d84bb9f62

• Upvote 4

• 3 years later...

Hi ... I’ve recently moved to Arizona I have a pineapple palm .. huge ... in my front yard ... it has a small Mediterranean side palm coming out of it ... can I get this small one off and save it ? Without hurting the pineapple palm ? 

• 3 months later...

After cutting off the unwanted shoots cover the remaining stem with hot melted roofing tar. The heat kills the ability to feed new growth and the hot tar seals the stalk so it can’t grow anymore. Environmental safe. 

• 11 months later...