IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some questions

Sanips

Hi guys, I wonder if you could help me about some worries and questions I have about certain palms I own.

First, I've a butyagrus, a JxB F2 and a Livistona nitida which their newest leaf are very yellowish. I wonder If it's normal or it's caused by some short of defficency (iron perhaps?) or overfertilizing them (I use Palm Focus once a week or every 15 days and I always give them the amount recomended (5ml per litre). I leave you some pics about them. The 3 first ones are the butyagrus, the next 3 are from my JxB F2 and the last 2 are the L. nitida.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

The second question is about my Sabal uresana. is It alright? I leave some photos. Don you think is too layed? is the soil level too low?

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thank you guy in advance.

08053.gif

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

The Sabal looks ok to me. — But what is the soil mix of the other seedlings? Pure quartz sand?

No, only the top is covered by a layer of coarse sand. I was told this would be a good method to avoid fungus gnats and I think it has worked somehow. The mix is like a cactus soil with a bit part of sand.

08053.gif

55 minutes ago, Sanips said:

No, only the top is covered by a layer of coarse sand. I was told this would be a good method to avoid fungus gnats and I think it has worked somehow. The mix is like a cactus soil with a bit part of sand.

The trace element deficiency may be caused by your inadequate soil mix resp. drainage. :unsure: It looks to me like a poisonous NO3 to NO2 reduction. If you had mixed lots of the corse sand into the soil perhaps (?) you would not have that problem.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

59 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

The trace element deficiency may be caused by your inadequate soil mix resp. drainage. :unsure: It looks to me like a poisonous NO3 to NO2 reduction. If you had mixed lots of the corse sand into the soil perhaps (?) you would not have that problem.

That would be weird because I found the drainage is way fast and other palms which are outdoors are performing great :wacko:. The pots are like a grid at the bottom.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Too much to learn about soil mixes :lol:. If next leaves continue to showing that colour, I would change the mix for sure.

08053.gif

Outdoors is a total different matter: The soil mix dries out much faster so that the roots get enough O2. When you use a cacti mix for cacti (indoors) you have normally very small and shallow pots. And you need not water so frequently as for palm seedlings.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums