IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spiral aloes/Aloe polyphylla enjoying the summer

Greetings:

A notoriously challenging, cool-growing aloe species from the Drakensberg in South Africa that grows surprisingly well in downtown San Francisco and other parts of the Bay Area as well as in central London!! This is one that frustrates a lot of skilled California succulent gardeners south of Monterey, and a nice specimen plant in the US is a rare critter outside of this immediate area.

595fda0827576_AloepolyphyllagroupJuly201

I've been playing around with this species for just over two years, but have only recently (fingers crossed!) learned how to grow them well enough to post a photo of a planting we did last fall, into the sharp teeth of a very challenging winter. Hence some brown-tipping evident in these photos. Rather counterintuitively for a stem succulent, these plants require a bright spot, warm days and cool nights, a very well-drained growing medium coupled with lots of cool water going over their roots on almost a daily basis. Can take temps well below freezing. Several of the plants shown are quite decent-sized, but have not started to spiral yet; for those not familiar with it, a quick Google search will reveal what all the fuss is about it. A well-grown large one in flower is an amazing piece of botanical art, so I'm looking forward to these putting on some size this year. Am looking for a trio of decent-sized ones whose price won't leave me bleeding from any orifices to add to these original plants.

595fda4e3de95_Aloepolyphyllarosette.thum

595fda7dc5bc3_AloepolyphyllarosetteII.th

Haven't killed one yet, but I have a couple other maladapted small plants that are still in potted rehab so still not fully convinced that I know what I'm doing ;^)

Cheers,

Jay

• Upvote 5

Stoney, I tried 2 of them a few years ago and have never seen a plant do a Salvador Dali impression so quick. You could watch it melt before your eyes. Yours look great. I noticed that they're planted on almost level ground. I was under the impression that planting on a slope or incline was the accepted way. Regardless, you SHOULD be proud as that plant will challenge the best hobbyist.

What a beautiful agave species! Of course, I have no chance of growing it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

8 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

What a beautiful agave species! Of course, I have no chance of growing it.

It's an aloe! haha Very beautiful in person, but oh so picky about growing conditions. 

Thanks, Gonzer. They actually have slight depressions under each to assist it overhead water catchment since not on drip. There is, however, three solid feet of new, amended, super well-drained fill under them. I also do the perhaps useless (but costly!) streptomyces innoculations via drenches every three months as well, in addition to lighting votive candles for their welfare.

Completely forgot that I have pics of a pair of nice larger ones that have spiraled growing at an acquaintance's cycad and succulent garden about a mile from here. I'll try and add them on Monday.

• Upvote 2

Awesome plants!!!

I read somewhere that there are more A. polyphyllas growing in Santa Cruz than in habitat. I imagine SF would be an ideal gowing climate as well.

Also, those two plants are already spiraling! The first is clockwise and the second is counterclockwise. It's easiest to see if you look just outside of the main center. 

Will the spiral become more visually pronounced as they grow?  I have only seen the plant once in real life, but photos usually show this crazy hypnotizing spiral.

A friend got seed and has his kids involved in a project to germinate and grow them up for sale. He's got them totally locked into caring for them, but I haven't heard an update for awhile. I will have to ask if they are still thriving.  Such cool plants!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

These are a nice pair growing nearby that I mentioned on Friday that are fully spiraled. These are older photos of them; still there, I understand, but "bigger".

Kind of bizarre to see them growing as specimens next to sidewalks in SF and as white picket fence plants down on the Peninsula.

59639e7e42c59_Whitepicketfencespiralaloe

59639ec583aeb_TGAloepolyphylla.thumb.JPG

• Upvote 2