IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia pacifica

Jdiaz31089

I recently was given Pritchardia pacifica seed, which I'll be planting soon. The problem is that our winters are too cold to grow this species in the ground, so I'll probably keep these potted for as long as I'm able to. Does anyone have any experience with these in pots, or more specifically indoors? I bet those large leaves would look great indoors. 

Thanks for any input!

-Josh

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I recently was given Pritchardia pacifica seed, which I'll be planting soon. The problem is that our winters are too cold to grow this species in the ground, so I'll probably keep these potted for as long as I'm able to. Does anyone have any experience with these in pots, or more specifically indoors? I bet those large leaves would look great indoors. 

Thanks for any input!

-Josh

JDiaz: I've no experience with the species you mentioned, but I've grown this Pritchardia hillebrandii 'Blue Dwarf' in a pot for years. It spends summers outside in shade and overwinters in my sunroom. I've found this species continues to grow, even in low-light conditions indoors. Not a trace of blue in the leaves yet. (see discussion http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/9404-pritchardia-hillebrandii-blue-dwarf/)

Pritchardia.png

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

JDiaz: I've no experience with the species you mentioned, but I've grown this Pritchardia hillebrandii 'Blue Dwarf' in a pot for years. It spends summers outside in shade and overwinters in my sunroom. I've found this species continues to grow, even in low-light conditions indoors. Not a trace of blue in the leaves yet. (see discussion http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/9404-pritchardia-hillebrandii-blue-dwarf/)

Pritchardia.png

Thanks for the input! And from what I read, they are generally slow growers (perhaps pacifica is not?) so they should live a long life as potted plants before they become too large. 

They like sun and heat,and are damaged below 45 degrees .But will recover when it gets some warm weather.

• Upvote 2

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

I am curious of this as well. Being in Naples East of I-75, I get occasional frosts in the winter. Sometimes hard frosts, though not for the past 2-3 winters. Anyhow, I also plan to keep my two P. pacificas in pots for as long as I can. I have two one gallons.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...

We had one here in Sydney for a couple of years. Grew it from seed before we realized that it could not actually live here.

We bought it in every winter, and moved it around from warm rooms at night

to sunny windows in the day and outside when warm.

After a few years we got tired of that and gave it to someone from up in Queensland. 

But to answer your question, yes the plant was happy enough in the pot getting that treatment.

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I snapped this photo on a trip to Natal, Brasil a few years ago.  I believe it's P. pacifica and it seems to be doing quite well in a container.  I haven't been able to germinate any of the seeds I collected, but I don't think they were very fresh.  Hope you succeed - I think these are awesome palms!

Natal 008.JPG

• Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

I had one grown from seeds in the bathroom with less light for a few years. But then it became to big so I decided to move it outside in summer and back into the house in autumn. Last autumn it suffered a short cold spell and lost nearly all leaves. Now it's out again and starts to come back slowly. Not worth a picture actually :wacko:

But I can confirm it's an excellent palm for indoor cultivation.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri