IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My recent germination projects

Fusca

These are palms that I have germinated from seed I collected personally over the past couple of years except for the Brahea brandeegii x armata and the Trithrinax acanthacoma I received from DoomsDave.  I plan to plant nearly all of them in the ground at some point (many are ready now!) but I plan to keep the Howea forsteriana in a container since it is more shade tolerant.  When I bought my house back in December it had zero plants in the yard (other than grass!)  I received the seed in photo #21 that my boss brought back from Costa Rica so I have no clue what palm it is.  The first leaf came out palmate and it seems to be growing very fast - anyone have any ideas?  I planted the seed about one year ago so it is less than one year total growth.

Jon

rsz_acoelorrhaphe_wrightii_2017.jpg

rsz_archontophoenix_maxima_2017.jpg

rsz_brahea_brandeegii_x_armata_2016.jpg

rsz_brahea_edulis_2015.jpg

rsz_butia_capitata_2012.jpg

rsz_caryota_gigas_butia_odorata_2015.jpg

rsz_chamaedorea_microspadix_2015.jpg

rsz_chamaerops_humilis_2014.jpg

rsz_dypsis_decaryi_2015.jpg

rsz_howea_forsteriana_2015.jpg

rsz_livistona_chinensis_2016.jpg

rsz_livistona_decora_2016.jpg

rsz_phoenix_canariensis_2014.jpg

rsz_phoenix_reclinata_syagrus_romanzoffiana_2013.jpg

rsz_phoenix_roebelenii_2015.jpg

rsz_sabal_mexicana_2012.jpg

rsz_sabal_riverside_2016.jpg

rsz_syagrus_romanzoffiana_2012.jpg

rsz_trachycarpus_fortunei_2014.jpg

rsz_trithrinax_acanthacoma_2017.jpg

rsz_unknown_2016.jpg

rsz_veitchia_merrillii_2016.jpg

rsz_wodyetia_bifurcata_2016.jpg

• Upvote 12

Jon Sunder

#1 acoelorrhaphe wrightii          #2 archontophoenix maxima                              #3 brahea brandeegii x armata (Thanks Dave!)

#4 brahea edulis                       #5 butia odorata                                                #6 caryota gigas (w/ b. odorata)

#7 chamaedorea microspadix   #8 chamaerops humilis                                      #9 dypsis decaryi (double)

#10 howea forsteriana              #11 livistona chinensis                                       #12 livistona decora

#13 phoenix canariensis          #14 phoenix reclinata (w/ syagrus)                     #15 phoenix roebelenii

#16 sabal mexicana                 #17 sabal riverside                                             #18 syagrus romanzoffiana

#19 trachycarpus fortunei        #20 trithrinax_acanthacoma (Thanks Dave!)      #21 ????

#22 veitchia merrillii                  #23 wodyetia bifurcata

• Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

Nice collection. What soil did you use for the palms? Did you tailor it based on the palm species? 

Actually I try to mix up my own soil - sometimes it varies based on what is available.  I use 1 part peat moss, 1 part sand, 1 part compost, 1 part perlite.  My yard here is nearly 100% sand with some loam (not completely nutrient poor).  This mix drains pretty well and seems to work out better than store-bought potting soil.  I probably should adjust based on the species, but when they are ultimately placed in the yard they'll have to adapt to the existing soil at some point.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

I neglected to add my Copernicia prunifera!  I germinated seed I collected in Natal, Brasil in 2014.  It's the only seedling I have ever grown with saw-tooth edges on the leaves.  I also wanted to note the growth difference in the Sabal mexicana (seed collected in 2012) vs. the Sabal Riverside (seed collected in 2015).  Three years additional growth for the Texas native and it has the same number of strap leaves (longer leaves) as the Riverside and less "trunk" development.  Neither has gone palmate yet.

Jon

Copernicia prunifera.JPG

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

• 9 months later...

Nice collection. I like to mix my own too this way you can tweak it based on species.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 2 months later...

I planted some of these seedlings in my yard recently.  I normally wait until the first adult leaf emerges, but I decided to go ahead and plant these out.  We are getting some nice summer heat in spring (100-103º F or 40º C) which I think will be fine for the Bismarckia and Brahea, but not so sure about the Trithrinax brasilensis.  I have several of these in containers so there's a backup in case of problems.  I'm also considering planting out the Livistona decora which is about the same size as these guys, but a little bit older.  Does anyone out there think this is a bad idea?  Here they are first the 4-strap-leaf Bizzy, second the 5-strap-leaf Brahea armata x brandegeei and finally the 5-strap-leaf Trithrinax:

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2018, 4:49:36, LivistonaFan said:

How do they look now after being almost 4 months in ground? Are they still strap-leaved?

They are all doing well - it'll be a few days but I'll get some updated photos.  The Bismarckia is still strap-leaved, but it's added 2 leaves since June.  The Brahea hybrid and Trithrinax are also still strap-leaved and have added additional leaves as well.  My Trachycarpus is fully palmate and has added 13 new leaves this year so far (planted last Sept).  My Butia and Chamaedorea microspadix are fully pinnate and my Copernicia prunifera is fully palmate with 4-5 leaves.  The Livistona decora is working on its first character leaf.  The Sabal riverside had a spear pull but started a new growth point and has started pushing out new strap leaves again while my Sabal Guatemalensis (both planted last Sept also) has put out 2-3 palmate leaves and working on a 4th.  This latter Sabal is really starting to take off.  This coming spring I'll plant out my Phoenix reclinata, Chamaedorea radicalis and Livistona chinensis.

Jon

Jon Sunder