IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia Filifera Palm Trimming_May 2017

Kris

Dear Friends,

After seeing some youtube videos on Washy trimming,We thought it would be better to clean up all the dried fronds and fibre which were harboring some rodents,termites and bats.Whenever anyone went close to this palm they used to come out rushing in our direction and the fiber that used to support the fronds used to drop daily littering the foot of this palm.So we decided to clean this palm using a simple kitchen knife and paper cutter.

Stills and videos is in the following post.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

At the rate at which this palm is growing in our hot-wet tropical climate,i had a slight doubt that this washy could be a Robusta,But during the trimming and cleaning process i learnt its a W.filifera palm.

And here's the video :

• Upvote 3

love conquers all..

43278.gif

looks a hell alot different now the old frond bases removed,good job

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2017, 2:39:20, palm789 said:

looks a hell alot different now the old frond bases removed,good job

Dear Nath,

Thanks and glad you liked this video.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 months later...

Dear Friends,

Just came across a new cutting machine,And iam interested in buying it when available in my place.At the moment only available in the European market with a voltage from 220-230Volts AC for its12 volt battery charger unit.BTW.The unit is cordless and very small and handy which could be used to trim small palm fronds and for cleaning the palm trunk.

Those who want to see this unit,visit the links given below :

https://youtu.be/O2oC111pm_U

https://youtu.be/aAIhLPc7t4s

EasyCut 12

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

32 minutes ago, Kris said:

Dear Friends,

Just came across a new cutting machine,And iam interested in buying it when available in my place.At the moment only available in the European market with a voltage from 220-230Volts AC for its12 volt battery charger unit.BTW.The unit is cordless and very small and handy which could be used to trim small palm fronds and for cleaning the palm trunk.

Those who want to see this unit,visit the links given below :

https://youtu.be/O2oC111pm_U

https://youtu.be/aAIhLPc7t4s

EasyCut 12

Love,

Kris.

Hi Kris, 

Do you think the Bosch EasyCut 12 could be used to trim and clear trunk of large palms like phoenix canariensis ? 

Its seems too small for me maybe even small it is very powerfull ?

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2017, 6:55:01, Laaz said:

Kris I think you would be better off with a regular 20 volt sawzall & pruning blades.

Dear Todd,

I usually never use power tools but my assistants use it.And what interested me in that mini tool was while using power tools it usually does not give a clean perfect cut as when done manually.And the wired power tools are very noisy disturbing neighbors and those walking in the road. Since i have few dicot trees to trim every year as they keep casting shadows on our palm garden.A small cutting tool would be very useful for this regular trimming of the small branches now and then.

Only after using the Easycut 12 ,i can give a proper review about it.

Thanks and Love,

Kris.

• Like 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Mehdi,

This equipment is not available in our market yet.So i cannot give you a review about its performance.But to trim any palm fronds and small branches.Iam sure it should do the job with less of noise and without any ac power requirement while working in farm or field.

Once any palm puts out a 6 foot of solid trunk even its fronds grows proportionally so i would say this tool will not be any useful for that kind of trimming work.

In my case my palms are all small and without a hardened trunk,So it could be handy tool for my trimming activities. So only after using it i can give you feedback about this product.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice palm! A little off topic, but in the video di I see a Sabal minor come into frame a few times?

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

7 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Nice palm! A little off topic, but in the video did I see a Sabal minor come into frame a few times?

Hi,

The palm seen in that video is a Sabal Mexicana and it was raised from seeds. And Sabal Minor we have it on the other side,its not visible in that video.Anyway you have a good observation..:) 

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, I'd imagine that a W. filifera would be pretty rare in your part of the world, especially one as big and nice as that.  Do you get many comments about it from the neighbors?  Does anyone even realize how different it is than the rest of the palms around?

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

15 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Kris, I'd imagine that a W. filifera would be pretty rare in your part of the world, especially one as big and nice as that.  Do you get many comments about it from the neighbors?  Does anyone even realize how different it is than the rest of the palms around?

Dear Ammon,

Our garden is located in a commercial area of the city.And our immediate neighbors are parking lot for the commercial establishments situated around.And many people who walk in our road just stop and have glance at our Bismarckia Nobilis palm.Which seems to the only palm people are interested in..

Even my friends and relatives here think the Washy is a Borassus Flabellifer palm.So i think you can understand how things are.

Here any plant or palm that is colourful in the sense red,sliver,blueish palms/plants are seen with awe.The green ones are not much cared for as its a common site in the tropics.

Actually i came to this forum to find the name of Corypha (Talipot palm),Canary island date palm,Bismarckia...and other Jurassic palms.And so i was introduced to a world of Exotic palms by our friends here to whom i am very thankful.

Lots of love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hello Kris!

That Washy is looking amazing! Very impressive that it does so well in your tropical climate.  The trimming definitely suits it, looks so clean.

Take care,

-Chris

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/12/2017, 10:09:43, ChrisA said:

Hello Kris!

That Washy is looking amazing! Very impressive that it does so well in your tropical climate.  The trimming definitely suits it, looks so clean.

Take care,

-Chris

Dear Chris,

Thanks very much.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif