IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus WagnerianusXPrinceps

Aldert

For some years I was trying to make this cross.

After being hold up by some one who had the Princeps male flowering for some years already, I finally succeeded in pollinating my Waggy with pollen from a dutch palm enthousiast.

The result off sowing some seeds in January, is so far two seedlings.

I think that the seeds behave as the true Princeps, a few will germinate in the first year, and the others the years to come.

WaggyXPrinceps.jpg

Edited by Aldert
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Princeps is a 2 ridger(first leaf)and yours is coming up a four ridger like

Fortunei(Waggie)...very interesting,this is the cross that I have always

wanted to try but I have always wondered if the latent Fortunei genes

in Wagnerianus would show up in a cross with Princeps and leave you

with a plant similar to "Nova"????

This will be very interesting to watch develop!

Please keep us posted!

Some pictures of the male Trachycarpus Princeps.

I think that the trunk is about 1 meter high.

Jim, I sold some of the seeds on the EPS.

princeps 9.jpg

princeps 8.jpg

princeps 7.jpg

princeps 6.jpg

princeps 5.jpeg

Edited by Aldert
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an exciting cross Aldert. I also managed to get some pollen this year from a former EPS member in London. I managed to cross it with wagnerianus, and fortunei. I also had some seeds from you that have already germinated so I look forward to see how they develop as I think they will be outstanding cold hardy palms for us. 

• 2 weeks later...

are there anymore pics available of the seedling coming up????

It will be interesting to see if any 2 riders pop up 

• 1 month later...

Now 5...exciting up to the minute updates...

Maybe get a ridge count on some of these in a month or so

and find out whos running the show...2 ridgers for Princeps or

4 for Waggies...or ?#?...certainly will be fun to see what features develop on

this new creation.

I walked by my baby princeps this afternoon and snapped a few pics to keep the thread going. 

20170802_185154.jpg

20170802_185214.jpg

20170802_185147.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Love the furry trunks on these palms....this cross really intrigues me...

it will be fascinating to see if they are all 4 ridgers or a mix of 2 & 4...

last time I looked about 15 had come up out of the 40 planted.

I would guess with the mother being Waggy that they will be 4 ridgers.  From that I have witnessed with palms and cycads the mother's genes are usually very dominant.

All of my 18 or so WxP seedlings are 4-ridgers. The pics seem to show what might appear to be 8 or 9 ridges but this is just an illusion as on each leaf blade there are pale lines between each one. Each blade is very wide indeed.

SNV37261.JPG

SNV37262.JPG

• Upvote 2

Thanks for posting pics of these....do they seem a little different

than typical Fortunei seedlings-if so,in what way??? They look a little different to me...

that ridge outline is smoother than what I have seen and they appear to be wider and possibly longer?

What do you think?

Thanks for the close up, shows what you mean beautifully, nice and healthy looking. When did you plant your seeds.:greenthumb:

Jas

On 6/26/2017, 10:13:20, Vic said:

too early to tell if any of mine are have 2 ridges, i will know in a month or so.

Mine are now pushing 2nd leaves and are all 4 ridgers except one that has 3 ridges. I bought a few extra from Aldert and sowed then directly in the garden, and after a warm spring/summer they are all coming up too. Very good seeds, looking forward to how they will develop.

On 5/15/2017, 10:00:50, Aldert said:

Some pictures of the male Trachycarpus Princeps.

I think that the trunk is about 1 meter high.

Jim, I sold some of the seeds on the EPS.

princeps 9.jpg

princeps 8.jpg

princeps 7.jpg

princeps 6.jpg

princeps 5.jpeg

great pics!!

that plant looks suuuuuuper happy. Great job growing it :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 12/08/2017, 23:37:50, Vic said:

Mine are now pushing 2nd leaves and are all 4 ridgers except one that has 3 ridges. I bought a few extra from Aldert and sowed then directly in the garden, and after a warm spring/summer they are all coming up too. Very good seeds, looking forward to how they will develop.

I have bought fortunei x princeps will to compare the difference between them. I hope they will germinate quick 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I counted 30 of the 40 seeds up so far here....if I can suggest

(if you guys have not thought of this already)to separate any

3 ridgers,2 ridgers or any deviation from the (apparently) "normal" 4 ridgers

to see how they may defer.....and they probably will differ.

• 1 year later...

I bought and germinated seed sold as princeps x wagnerianus. Here are my seedlings at the moment. I had near 100% germination within a few weeks of planting them. I'm not sure if I'm counting these right but I'm seeing 4 ridges on these strap leaves. 

20190404_125227.jpg

20190404_125324.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

4 ridges spell problems.  All of the Waggy x princeps I have are 2-3 ridges, and I germinated about 400 of them.

I only have 1 princeps x wagnerianus and that was given to me as an established seedling, but i see no reason why there wouldn't be 4 ridges in the mix? Most of the wag x princeps i produced were thin strap leaf seedling almost void of any ridges. 

I've just germinated (nanus x wagnerianus) x princeps, so with 75% of its genes coming from 2 ridgers i'd expect very few if any 4 ridges and more 2 ridgers, but time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Hi,  I have just gone out into the garden and counted the ridges on my seedlings. I seem to have one 2 ridge a couple of 3 ridge and the rest are all 4 ridge.  From  what I have read on here does that mean the 2 and 3 ridges should grow differently,  I should lavish more love and attention on these  than the 4 ridges. :wub::floor:

Regards Jas.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2019 at 8:31 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

4 ridges spell problems.  All of the Waggy x princeps I have are 2-3 ridges, and I germinated about 400 of them.

That is why they call that 4th ridge, “Heartbreak Ridge”. :floor::yay: Yuk, Yuk!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

The female Trachycarpus Princeps in The Netherlands!

The only so far known female Princeps at this moment.

But others females will come soon!

IMG-20180607-WA0000.jpg

20190428_092145.jpg

Edited by Aldert
Seeds of the Princeps pollinated with Naggy and others with Nanus. The upper seeds in the photo are WagnerianusXPrinceps

• 4 weeks later...

very nice...they really have grown!  I only have a few left out of mine but they do appear to

have some vigor,I had a very small one spear pull(only 4 leaves) and it came back...sometimes thats

tough for the little guys...

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have tried to grow this palm several times now from seed and so far have been unsuccessful. These seeds are either really hard to germinate or I'm really bad at trying to get them to germinate. Either way, I've come up empty handed each time. Since several of you seem to have gotten them to grow, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to part with a couple. I would be willing to pay of course as long as it's reasonable. Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks! Brian

• 3 months later...

My waggie x prince grown from the seeds that were/are available on eBay.  It is a crappy photo, but they are more waxy and blue than a regular waggie for sure.20200602_203253.thumb.jpg.d1fcfd21bfa4000abc451d45847b6d3b.jpg

6 hours ago, Vic said:

Nice Joe, can you remember who the Ebay seller was?

I just checked my purchase history.  The seller was thepalmgrower and the seeds shipped from the UK.