IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

any one growing Bottle Palm in pots- please show yours

Mohsen

I am growing this beauty ( Hyophorbe lagenicaulis -Bottle palm) in pots as I am not sure it can survive in winter in ground I keep it in pots, its been on Deck but now we are having colder nights I have brought it into my office- room

anyone growing them in pots? please show yours...

how big they can get in pots and how they would be happy in pots?

how cold hardy they are?

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

• Upvote 6

53 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

The palm on the right is a potted bottle; when they get tall the stems loose their bottle shape …

5913345d26ae4_Howeaforsteriana2012-07-06

That's great, I think I have seen this photo but only noticed the Kentia...

so I assume you grow this bottle palm from Seed?how old is it in this picture and how old Hardy are they ?

44 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

That's great, I think I have seen this photo but only noticed the Kentia...

so I assume you grow this bottle palm from Seed?how old is it in this picture and how old Hardy are they ?

It is not my palm and not grown up by myself, so I do not know how old it is. It stood in a local botanical garden (in 2012).

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Hi, Mohsen.

I don't have Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, but I do have two of the closely related H. verschaffeltii in pots.

Bought them 8 or 9 years ago as small plants (5 together in one pot), seperated the two strongest and potted them up.

This is the biggest one in a 35 L container; the other one is half that size.

Afbeelding_2.jpg

Last morning (and the morning before) temperatures dropped to 1 or 2 C over here. I would have taken them inside, if temperatures were expected to go below 0 degrees C.

Cheers, Henri

• Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_simpleblack_both&

16 hours ago, Kajsa12 said:

Hi, Mohsen.

I don't have Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, but I do have two of the closely related H. verschaffeltii in pots.

Bought them 8 or 9 years ago as small plants (5 together in one pot), seperated the two strongest and potted them up.

This is the biggest one in a 35 L container; the other one is half that size.

Afbeelding_2.jpg

Last morning (and the morning before) temperatures dropped to 1 or 2 C over here. I would have taken them inside, if temperatures were expected to go below 0 degrees C.

Cheers, Henri

Henri, your H. verschaffeltii looks great...I also have small one in pot...I assume  H. verschaffeltii is cold hardier than H. Lagenicaulis ?

You should be in middle of spring, still you have below 0 temp :( it should be difficult to move it in and out,

also is it under full sun?

this is mine , in full Shade in a corner I assume its a bit warmer than out side

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mohsen said:

I assume  H. verschaffeltii is cold hardier than H. Lagenicaulis ?

I don't think there's much difference between these species. They both don't like temperatures below 0 C  (32F)

H. verschaffeltii can take full sun overhere, but you have to be careful after being inside the house for a long time. I've put mine outside under shadecloth  in the beginning of March, as temperatures were higher than normal. April was colder than usual, so had to take them inside a few times. In May I've placed them in full sun.

Temperatures today were 24C (75F) and night temperatures will go up to 12C (53-54F).

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_simpleblack_both&

12 hours ago, Kajsa12 said:

I don't think there's much difference between these species. They both don't like temperatures below 0 C  (32F)

H. verschaffeltii can take full sun overhere, but you have to be careful after being inside the house for a long time. I've put mine outside under shadecloth  in the beginning of March, as temperatures were higher than normal. April was colder than usual, so had to take them inside a few times. In May I've placed them in full sun.

Temperatures today were 24C (75F) and night temperatures will go up to 12C (53-54F).

I think H. Indicate is cold hardier than the other both, I hope I'm right as I already planed mine in ground ...

This is my Bottle (4,5 years). I also have a verschaffeltii in a pot that is a bit larger. Hyophorbes grow quite well indoors for me. :)

20170512_084544.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 5/11/2017, 11:44:48, Mohsen said:

I think H. Indicate is cold hardier than the other both, I hope I'm right as I already planed mine in ground ...

Vastly hardier.  I have had one in ground several years and you are warmer than me.  They do not like sun though.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 5/12/2017, 2:59:38, Alcibiades said:

This is my Bottle (4,5 years). I also have a verschaffeltii in a pot that is a bit larger. Hyophorbes grow quite well indoors for me. :)

20170512_084544.jpg

Beautiful!  Show us your verschaffeltii ?

On Mon May 15 2017 19:52:50 GMT+0200, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Beautiful!  Show us your verschaffeltii ?

20170521_060918_resized_1.thumb.jpg.659a

• Upvote 4

Here is my bottle palm in a pot.  Porch cover is about 8.5 high for reference.  I have had it in this pot for three years.  It has some cold weather damage now.  It saw a couple of days of mid 30s and the leafs burned a little.  I live in 9a, so I keep this in the greenhouse for the Months of January and February and only then if I see freezing weather in the forecast.  It is almost too big to be lugging in and out, but I keep doing it year after year.  It seem to grow pretty fast, faster than I actually would like.  Normally is has bright green leaves with no brown, so I guess it likes the pot OK.  I fertilize it with palm spikes and have it hooked up to drip irrigation.  The drip irrigation was mainly for the Cyrtostachys renda in the blue pot next to it.  Don't want that to dry out.  But I had the water there so I took a tap off of it for the bottle palm.  I don't water it near as much as the Sealing wax palm though.  

20170531_102840a.jpg

• Upvote 10

There are quite a few growing around here in the ground that are a very good size, about 3 metres or so and they seem to take our winter nights quite well. A frost will burn them to bits but they seem to come back again.  2 nights this week were just above freezing point and my potted bottle is fine. As long as they get enough sun in the day time, cold nights dont seem to worry them, and Sydney is not as cold as it gets here by a long shot.

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

In a "bigger" pot.

bottle1.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

19 hours ago, peachy said:

There are quite a few growing around here in the ground that are a very good size, about 3 metres or so and they seem to take our winter nights quite well. A frost will burn them to bits but they seem to come back again.  2 nights this week were just above freezing point and my potted bottle is fine. As long as they get enough sun in the day time, cold nights dont seem to worry them, and Sydney is not as cold as it gets here by a long shot.

Thanks Peachy

i thought you live in Qld, didn't know we have any location in Qld that get colder than Sydney???

These two bottle palms are from Colin's garden, did flowering after 25 years I guess ...

IMG_0622.JPG

• Upvote 4

Wanted to share a picture of the new leaf emerging on my potted Hyophorbe verschaffeltii. Really enjoy the subtle colors on this palm even when young. I bring it into my sunroom each year when temps drop below 40 deg.F. outside here in interior NorCal. This palm came originally from Phil/Jungle Music years ago. 

Hyophorbe_verschaffeltii.png

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Last winter was the first winter for 4 of mine in ground. It got down to the mid-30s and we had a few extremely light frosts and they came through with no damage at all!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 5 months later...
On 5/31/2017, 11:04:01, lrnasd90 said:

Here is my bottle palm in a pot.  Porch cover is about 8.5 high for reference.  I have had it in this pot for three years.  It has some cold weather damage now.  It saw a couple of days of mid 30s and the leafs burned a little.  I live in 9a, so I keep this in the greenhouse for the Months of January and February and only then if I see freezing weather in the forecast.  It is almost too big to be lugging in and out, but I keep doing it year after year.  It seem to grow pretty fast, faster than I actually would like.  Normally is has bright green leaves with no brown, so I guess it likes the pot OK.  I fertilize it with palm spikes and have it hooked up to drip irrigation.  The drip irrigation was mainly for the Cyrtostachys renda in the blue pot next to it.  Don't want that to dry out.  But I had the water there so I took a tap off of it for the bottle palm.  I don't water it near as much as the Sealing wax palm though.  

20170531_102840a.jpg

Is this in full sun looks great 

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2017, 9:28:30, Tropical one said:

Is this in full sun looks great 

How is your bottle palm looking now that SPRING IS ALMOST HERE?

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

This is my 4 bottle palm seedlings. Today they have a 1 year birthday. :D

20180309_071031.jpg

Edited by cisco
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• 5 weeks later...

I have had these palms, in his location for many years...I just up graded from 24" pots to 42" pots last week....Yea, I know the bottle is off-centered, but  I am 70 years old, so I'm lucky I could even re-pot these myself. ;) .... The bottle is starting to stretch out, and losing some of the "Big Bottomed" look.... It has done very well in this location, with out any winter protection in Southern California (LA/OC county)...I think the concrete and house stucco retain heat, and with the overhang, it does well.. It has shown some leaf burn in extreme winters, but nothing too bad...Fat and sassy.

Butch

IMG_1640cs.jpg

IMG_1642cs.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hyophorbe in pots are much more cooler than I thouht! Here are my Hyophorbe verschaffeltii and H. laenicaulis, about 2 years from seed :)

31369801_1922148841137969_3789451380427587584_n.jpg

31326773_1922147361138117_1713083508856979456_n.jpg

• Upvote 4

How does one go about cleaning the boots off of the trunk? Employ boxcutters like washies?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I am sorry missed the questions. 

No not full sun, but mostly....sees about 10 hours of sun a day during summer months. This is on the north side of my house.  So as the sun rises in the sky in the summer it get increasingly more sun.  Actually seems to work out rather well, since it receives such a limited amount during the greenhouse months.  So it gets a gradual increase in sun as summer rolls on.  This year we saw 16 degree temps, so it spent more time in the greenhouse than normal. As it happens it was sending up a new leaf spike, that I had to cut off (much to my dismay) because it exceeded the height of the greenhouse (10ft).  And I didn't have room to lay it down.   

Updated photo as it appears today, has a new leaf coming if you look really close you can see it. The red sealing wax palm from the other picture is still in the greenhouse, night temps have still been in the 50s some, but will be out very soon, maybe two more weeks to be safe.

20180502_095647.jpg

Edited by lrnasd90

18 minutes ago, lrnasd90 said:

I am sorry missed the questions. 

No not full sun, but mostly....sees about 10 hours of sun a day during summer months. This is on the north side of my house.  So as the sun rises in the sky in the summer it get increasingly more sun.  Actually seems to work out rather well, since it receives such a limited amount during the greenhouse months.  So it gets a gradual increase in sun as summer rolls on.  This year we saw 16 degree temps, so it spent more time in the greenhouse than normal. As it happens it was sending up a new leaf spike, that I had to cut off (much to my dismay) because it exceeded the height of the greenhouse (10ft).  And I didn't have room to lay it down.   

Updated photo as it appears today, has a new leaf coming if you look really close you can see it. The red sealing wax palm from the other picture is still in the greenhouse, night temps have still been in the 50s some, but will be out very soon, maybe two more weeks to be safe.

20180502_095647.jpg

Very nice palm! How did you clean up the leaf bases attach to the trunk?

I just use a sharp blade. Once the old leaf starts drying up, it starts cracking, I just help it along. I find cutting them while they are still a little green and moist is the easiest way. I let some dry out completely in the past and it is pretty tough to cut. But while still a little green, slices with ease. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lrnasd90 said:

I just use a sharp blade. Once the old leaf starts drying up, it starts cracking, I just help it along. I find cutting them while they are still a little green and moist is the easiest way. I let some dry out completely in the past and it is pretty tough to cut. But while still a little green, slices with ease. 

Thank you

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2017, 3:22:05, GottmitAlex said:

In a "bigger" pot.

bottle1.jpg

A year and a month later. (No protection whatsoever during this past winter)

20180720_142001-3984x2241.jpg

20180720_141955-3984x2241.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is my nursery bought bottle and pictured after this is one my 4 baby bottles in my nursery that I just put in a nice pot for our patio 

F05AD9FC-FD61-4F97-ADBE-F469F2C9AEB8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rickybobby said:

This is my nursery bought bottle and pictured after this is one my 4 baby bottles in my nursery that I just put in a nice pot for our patio 

F05AD9FC-FD61-4F97-ADBE-F469F2C9AEB8.jpeg

Pic 2

F4DA1FBF-4283-49BE-8759-1DD71B491B8E.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Love this palm and its cousin, Spindle Palm.

They actually do VERY well in the North as potted palms, as they tolerate lower humidity levels in the Winter and seem to be relatively resistant to pests. (I had to learn that trick too about cleaning up the trunks.) The only thing you really need to look out for in the North is, if you put them outside in the growing season, they will burn SEVERELY unless you acclimate them to sun. Keep them in deep shade outside for a few weeks first, then introduce to part or full sun.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 11:24 AM, GottmitAlex said:

How does one go about cleaning the boots off of the trunk? Employ boxcutters like washies?

I have an old knife with no markings that works well, and doesn't cut the crown shaft below... It works something like this knife.

https://www.craintools.com/vinyl/knives/070

I did this for years, but now I usually just wait for the boot to be ready to fall off...

Butch

• Like 2