IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rain Gods Please Bless Fla.

Cocoa Beach Jason

Florida is bone dry. We need relief.

IMG_7124.GIF.f671a5db27de3d9d097bb28cccb

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Upvote 2

I hope you get some rain soon to help refresh the garden. Here in  PNW we have been so wet in the last 7 months it not even funny anymore… finally getting a break with two weeks of warmth and sunny weather. July is when the real dry season starts here, it last to mid October. LOL 

We need more than rain gods now...we need a miracle! A tropical storm would be awesome...:violin:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

As long as it isn't one of those tropical storms that takes new roofs off of houses...

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Amen. I spent almost 2 hours this evening hand watering the back yard jungle and container garden. It was 94F today, will be 93F Sat. & Sun. You wouldn't know I had 4" of rain 10 days ago. Cape Coral dropped us to 4 hours of irrigation once per week - not nearly enough. The City is serious about fining people who disobey the dictate. It hired numerous temporary employees to drive around from midnight to 8 a.m. every night looking for violators. At least hand watering is still allowed, though at the risk of heatstroke.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Praying for an early and substainual rainy season!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Whenever we have these inevitable dry times , it makes me wonder why the various Water management Districts in Florida , continue to

issue consumptive use permits , at an un abated pace .

Here in the SJWMD area , we have seen recent permitting for approx 150,000 or more , new future homes , AND , continued permits for massive

withdrawals of Millions of Gallons Per DAY to various Water Bottling companies etc  .

If there's not enough to use now , then how..................

The answer of course ,  is,   who is on the Boards , who put up the bucks to get them there ,  what is their vested interest etc .

• Upvote 2

Cape Coral is pumping water for canals from reserves in Punta Gorda to the north.  I expect a water war to break out anytime.

I was able to weed potted Dyckias for 3 hours this morning. I'd watered them last night and they were already dry again. It's now in the mid-90s and like a furnace out. But about 5 I have to go out & hand water some more.

Meg

Florida

Complicating the lack of rain situation more is the fact that we set a record high yesterday.  Record heat and no water is a bad combo.  Looks like a good chance of rain coming during the week.  I hope we don't get skunked again.

20170429_Weather.png

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

I'll believe it when I see it!:violin:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

@gsytch You and me both.  Last time there was a 100% chance of rain it was sunny all day.

Lakeland, FL

Well at least the east coast and inland is getting rain, but still dry on the west side. The good thing is that is raining over lake Okeechobee.

2017-05-02 17.49.07.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ended up getting 0.2" of rain yesterday, but nothing today.  Maybe later in the week... :(

Lakeland, FL

Its so dry out here my yard looks burnt. Its been a frustrating spring. 

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Missed all the rain yet again. :violin:

Wow, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I rained 3 times here over the past 24 hours. Last night we got light rain for about 10 minutes. Today we got a few sprinkles at sunrise, but it really rained hard for about 20 minutes around 9:00am. The plants loved it and seemed to green up slightly (it helped I watered the evening before). We were so excited everyone went out and watched the rain poor underneath a tent. Even the dog seemed happy to be out in the rain. 

Best of luck to the rest of you who missed out. 

Received .23" today, so happy about that!

There is some rain on the radar currently near Tampa.  Probably too far south to help @Chatta.  Hoping for some to swing by dusty old Lakeland.  New coconuts would love a non-utility-sponsored drink :)  Looking like my next big chance will be Friday.  After that, the extended forecast has a lot of "0%" on it. :(

@gsytch Definitely not your year buddy!  Hope things turn around over there!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

Got  unexpected 1/2" rain overnight Monday. Today I got dark clouds, thunder and lightning before it all fizzled, drat it.

Meg

Florida

I came home to a really wet yard! :)

I work in St. Pete, and there wasn't a drop down there!

Edited by Chatta

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

More rain today! :D 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

It finally rained, but only yesterday and over night. Total was around.40" NOT nearly enough. Someplaces were blessed. Mine was not. My yard is still thirsty, and the next week looks very dry. :violin:

Got another 1/2" overnight. No hand watering this evening. Tomorrow to be dry and cooler, my last chance to clean out & reorganize my garden shed.

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Got another 1/2" overnight. No hand watering this evening. Tomorrow to be dry and cooler, my last chance to clean out & reorganize my garden shed.

That's it Meg, I am moving my house and garden next to yours as you always get the rain :D I just recieved .001" last night.

With the rains yesterday and early this morning I received a total of .11".  :(  

Got a pretty good downpour from about 5am until 7am.  Left home at the tail end of it, and the yard was already soaked.  As @gsytch mentioned, the forecast looks pretty dry and sunny for the next week or so.  We need a LOT more to catch up.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

15 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

That's it Meg, I am moving my house and garden next to yours as you always get the rain :D I just recieved .001" last night.

We should both move to North Ft. Myers. It always seems to rain there while the Cape gets nothing. But I can't bear to leave my little 0.61 acre Paradise.

Meg

Florida

If I could I'd send you the rain we had over the weekend.

Having been through a drought, I feel your pain and join you in SW FL in praying for rain.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The rain gods blessed with with the best rains I have had in months. Several storms,power outages, and pouring rains. I would say at least an inch or more. Very surprising considering the rain chances were 40-50% at best. My yard is a happy yard!  Of course, the forecast for the next seven days is 90F and sunny....:P

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, gsytch said:

The rain gods blessed with with the best rains I have had in months. Several storms,power outages, and pouring rains. I would say at least an inch or more. Very surprising considering the rain chances were 40-50% at best. My yard is a happy yard!  Of course, the forecast for the next seven days is 90F and sunny....:P

Glad you got some much needed rain! I did not receive much, 0.18" but I will take it.

I would've gladly traded our recent rains for some of your heat, I don't even want to know how much rain has fallen in the past few weeks. I recieved 2 inches yesterday, and it rained 3-4 times this afternoon/evening. No more rain in the forecast though, thankfully, only pure sunshine and warmth.

Got 0.8" overnight Sat. I'm free from watering for a couple days.

Meg

Florida

Don't wanna jynx it but looks like the rainy season is beginning to start, Noticed on the way home what looked like some typical coastal showers developing in central Pinellas.  Hoping that the pattern picks up soon! Heavy rains today!

20170519_184357e.jpg

Edited by Chatta

21 minutes ago, Chatta said:

Don't wanna jynx it but looks like the rainy season is beginning to start, Noticed on the way home what looked like some typical coastal showers developing in central Pinellas.  Hoping that the pattern picks up soon! Heavy rains today!

20170519_184357e.jpg

Yep, it is beginning, except in my yard :D. Went all around me today, again.

• Upvote 1

My yard got stood up yesterday and again today. I spent 2 hours hand watering last night.

Meg

Florida

I got a total down pour! and I spent 3 hours watering last night haha

I rained pretty heavy in spots coming back from Orlando today.  Other areas, like my slice of paradise, didn't get any liquid sunshine :(

Lakeland, FL

We got 2.25". Joy, oh joy! It's been so hot and dry. Maybe more Wed./Thur.

Meg

Florida

48 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

We got 2.25". Joy, oh joy! It's been so hot and dry. Maybe more Wed./Thur.

Yep, I am moving next to you lol. I received only .36" yesterday, we just got the edges of the rain again.

I am in Orlando this week and tonight it is just pouring down, I need that at my yard!

22 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Yep, I am moving next to you lol. I received only .36" yesterday, we just got the edges of the rain again.

I am in Orlando this week and tonight it is just pouring down, I need that at my yard!

Maybe the midweek rain will fall on your house.

Meg

Florida