IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New species of Sabal discovered! Sabal antillensis from the Leeward Antilles

Zeeth

Saw a link to this article on Montgomery's FB page. This is an interesting palm! It reminds me a bit of the large, smooth trunked Sabals (S. causiarum, S. maritima, S. domingensis), but it's got an interesting tapering trunk. I'll attach some pics from the article, but check out the article attached to this post for more info.

17758528_1262070337163076_29121893301559

17834856_1262069893829787_44489034922784

58e796c5463bd_ScreenShot2017-04-07at09.3

19710-10766-1-PB.pdf

• Like 7
  • Upvote 18

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

That's cool! I bet those are super slow growing but definitely unique looking for a Sabal.

what a habitat vista

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Very cool Sabal. Hope seeds become available.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Always cool to see new species being discovered.  This one has an interesting look. They must be super wind tolerant based on the exposure.

Very exciting news! 

Almost has that "caudiform- esque" look to it.  Hopefully future cultivated specimens retain these charactaristics. Thanks for sharing Zeeth:greenthumb:

Cool looking palms, thanks for posting them.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Wow, this is one of the nicest looking Sabal's I've ever seen. Love the thick, smooth look of the trunk and the tight cluster of leaves. I hope this palm eventually becomes available to palm enthusiasts like us some day. I'm kind of surprised that this species took so long to discover. Bonaire and Curaçao are both small, well developed islands just a few hours flight out of Miami. I didn't think there would be any new palms left to find outside isolated areas in Africa and Asia. Makes you wonder what else could be out there just under our noses. How often are new palm tree species like this discovered? Is it a common (every few years) occurrence?

I'd love to learn the specs on this palm eventually. I wonder how fast it grows, how tall it grows, and what's it's cold tolerance. Given its location you would assume it would be a tropical-only species, but then again Sabal causiarum are from Pureto Rico and do fine in North Florida. I'll be keeping an eye on this new Sabal species as time goes forward. Thank you for sharing. 

• 1 year later...

A Bottle Sabal....crazy no one has discovered it already

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I'd love to get some seeds of this palm if it ever becomes available. I've been keeping an eye on RPS hoping it becomes available eventually. 

Keith 

32 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

I'd love to get some seeds of this palm if it ever becomes available. I've been keeping an eye on RPS hoping it becomes available eventually. 

Me too.

Meg

Florida

it looks like seed was collected in the Dominican Republic by MBC (Montgomery Botanical Center). 

Screenshot_20181208-170158_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I have to revive this, but wondering if anyone has these in seed or seedling format?  We vacationed out in Curacao a few years ago and saw these... beautiful!

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

:yay: OMG... 

This has got to be the most "tropical" looking sabal I have seen... 

MUST HAVE SEEDS NOW!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I feel like the palm is big enough at this point to post an image online. So far it's growing like a very stiff Sabal with extra short petioles. Definitely has a different look to it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4dfcf630ab07a453869fa431e447e2bc.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Keith 

3 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I feel like the palm is big enough at this point to post an image online. So far it's growing like a very stiff Sabal with extra short petioles. Definitely has a different look to it. 

It still reminds of causiarum !

Yes I agree. Petioles are a little shorter at this size than S. causiarum though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Interesting to see a young one growing (in FL?) I’d love to try it but from what I’ve learned it is protected on its island and, in general, the main if not only sources of seeds available outside of botanical gardens are poached/smuggled from habitat. I can’t justify satisfying my wish to grow it by subsidizing theft of endangered palm seeds. If I could be sure the availability was legal, yeah.

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, Zeeth said:

Any idea if there are most of these available anywhere (seeds) ?  I have heard someone in CA has these for sale, but their reputation is muddy at best.

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Not that I know of, and they're now protected by the Curacao government. Montgomery Botanical Garden has them growing, so they may show up on FNGLA auctions in a few years once they start seeding. 

• Like 2

Keith 

10 hours ago, Sabal King said:

Any idea if there are most of these available anywhere (seeds) ?  I have heard someone in CA has these for sale, but their reputation is muddy at best.

Be very leery of any individual person claiming to sell seeds/seedlings of this rare Sabal because of the following:

1. Seeds are not the species seller claims them to be and you will be gypped.

2. Seeds are the real deal but have been stolen/smuggled from protected habitat with intent to peddle them for big bucks, which is greedy, immoral, unethical and illegal.

Look for a seller like MBC, FNGLA or similar botanical that is on the up and up. If that takes years, so be it. Most people on this forum are far younger than I.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

17 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Be very leery of any individual person claiming to sell seeds/seedlings of this rare Sabal because of the following:

1. Seeds are not the species seller claims them to be and you will be gypped.

2. Seeds are the real deal but have been stolen/smuggled from protected habitat with intent to peddle them for big bucks, which is greedy, immoral, unethical and illegal.

Look for a seller like MBC, FNGLA or similar botanical that is on the up and up. If that takes years, so be it. Most people on this forum are far younger than I.

100% to the above... I actually emailed the foundation in Bonaire that evidently it sounds like they have "cultivated" seeds... let's see what they tell me.  I have already been solicited to purchase one of these from said seller.  No thanks.

17 hours ago, Sabal King said:

100% to the above... I actually emailed the foundation in Bonaire that evidently it sounds like they have "cultivated" seeds... let's see what they tell me.  I have already been solicited to purchase one of these from said seller.  No thanks.

Keep in mind that the Sabal native to Bonaire is now classified as Sabal lougheediana, not antillensis. 

• Like 1

Keith