IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pelagodoxa Henryana seedling

Stethoscope

Hi everyone,

I just potted up my first germinated Pelagodoxa Henryana seed; this one has been germinating since Dec 19, 2016. I have 7 more to germinate and will hopefully start a family of them.

I used the potting mix suggested by  @Pal Meir with slight modifications (1/2 Small Pine Bark with 1/4 Perlite and 1/4 Vermiculite)

Wish me luck. 

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Looks great Stethoscope,

Did you end up getting these from fiji Jim? I could be in the market if the price is right. Love these.

1 hour ago, Stethoscope said:

Hey Maxum,

I got the seeds from @venkat. I previously contacted @fiji jim but no reply :(.

I'll keep you updated about my progress and let us know about yours!

Ok, thanks

• 1 month later...
On 21/03/2017, 21:27:16, Stethoscope said:

Hey Maxum,

I got the seeds from @venkat. I previously contacted @fiji jim but no reply :(.

I'll keep you updated about my progress and let us know about yours!

Hey Stethoscope,

I've managed to get a hold of 19 seeds. So how did you germinate yours. What soil mix, temp, humidity. I'm leaving them in Spain over the summer where temps should be a constant 25-30c through the day. Any tips welcome.

thanks

This is a tropical palm. These seeds also need a well-draining potting mix. I can't give exact recommendations for someone in Europe but check member Pal Meir's posts for suggestions on germinating media. Make sure the pot is deep, at least 10-12 cm. Seeds need very warm days, at least 25+C and warm nights, 15+C, and high humidity. You probably should keep the pot in shade, preferably under a deep canopy of vegetation to help keep humidity high. Seeds also need regular water - if they dry out they will die quickly. However, the potting should not be allowed to stay soggy or seeds will rot. All this is a problem if you plan to leave them unattended for months. My impression of Spain is that the summers are warm/hot and very dry. That's a death sentence for tropical seeds & seedlings, as I know well. I lost a slew of seedlings in Dec. when I went on an 11-day cruise and here at home it was hot and dry heading into a drought. That included my only P. henryana seedling from Floribunda. So, can you make sure to schedule regular watering/irrigation during your absence? Is there a knowledgable someone you can reliably trust to check on your seeds and make sure they don't dry out? Would he know when watering is needed and when it is not? What is too little or too much - both lethal?

Unless you can guarantee to provide what these seeds need during a Spanish summer, you and your seeds may be better off traveling back to Belgium together where you can personally supervise their care. Trust me, no one else will give a flying fig about them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 5/13/2017, 5:33:23, maxum2610 said:

Hey Stethoscope,

I've managed to get a hold of 19 seeds. So how did you germinate yours. What soil mix, temp, humidity. I'm leaving them in Spain over the summer where temps should be a constant 25-30c through the day. Any tips welcome.

thanks

Hi Maxum,

I used the baggie method with 50/50 Perlite and Vermiculite on a heating tray set around 25-27 Celsius. I have only had 1 of 6 seeds germinate and that one is pictured in the prior posts with a potting mix similar to that recommended by @Pal Meir with slight modification: (1/2 Small Pine Bark with 1/4 Perlite and 1/4 Vermiculite). 

As @PalmatierMeghad suggested these seeds are VERY delicate and need constant warmth and humidity to grow. My only germinated seedling has likely succumb to dehydration and is not looking great...although I water it on a daily basis and keep it in pot, within a pot that has water, to maintain humidity. I will see what unfolds in the next few weeks. 

Leaving them in Spain is a bad idea unless someone can tend to them; they are too beautiful to waste in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Stethoscope said:

Hi Maxum,

I used the baggie method with 50/50 Perlite and Vermiculite on a heating tray set around 25-27 Celsius. I have only had 1 of 6 seeds germinate and that one is pictured in the prior posts with a potting mix similar to that recommended by @Pal Meir with slight modification: (1/2 Small Pine Bark with 1/4 Perlite and 1/4 Vermiculite). 

As @PalmatierMeghad suggested these seeds are VERY delicate and need constant warmth and humidity to grow. My only germinated seedling has likely succumb to dehydration and is not looking great...although I water it on a daily basis and keep it in pot, within a pot that has water, to maintain humidity. I will see what unfolds in the next few weeks. 

Leaving them in Spain is a bad idea unless someone can tend to them; they are too beautiful to waste in my opinion.

Thank you Stethoscope,

That's the answer I was looking for. Looks like I rattled some cages..yuk yuk. Don't worry I a have no intention of just leaving them unattended. The last time that I germinated these (bought them from FijiJim who lives in ... well..Fiji), I believe it was in 2010, I also used the baggy method with sphagnum moss. As I recall they hatched within two months three in all. What I did was keep them in a grow tent until they were about a year. I managed to keep them for about two years but they succumbed the second winter. Belgium is not a good place for palms, too many fluctuations in temperature and humidity. My error then, I think, was keeping them in the wrong potting soil. You should have more success with Pals potting soil, only (in my experience), be very careful using bark with tropical species such as Pelagodoxa which are sensitive to root rot.

On a side note, the climate where I am in Spain is so good that I manage to keep seedlings of Licuala grandis, Areca vestiaria, Pritchardia thurstonii, and various other tropical species on the terras of my apartment through the winter. Even had some Archontophoenix alexandrae, which I sowed in a pot before leaving in November, germinate over the winter, and found a nice little pot of seedlings.

Looks good! Love that palm. Care to share the link or recipe of Pal Meirs mix?

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

4 hours ago, Patrick said:

Looks good! Love that palm. Care to share the link or recipe of Pal Meirs mix?

IMG_1053.PNG

IMG_1054.PNG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

First Pelagodoxa hatched today. Temp was between 20C at night and 33C during the day.

IMG_1742.JPG

• Upvote 1

The seeds were brought over to Spain for 4 weeks (that's the 20C night and 33C day temp). Took them back to Belgium (or did I leave some there :evil:),  and kept them in an incubator cabinet at 33C constant temp. They are in a close plastic container 30x40x20, the germination medium is 1/2 coco coir, 1/4 perlite and 1/4 pumice size 3-6 mm. The (very nice) person I bought them from assures me they were collected from the ground, which is crucial for successful germination.  Sorry I can't keep them in a more empirically testable environment, but the move back and forth makes it impossible. There's a second one that I left in the greenhouse in Belgium for the entire period where the thin outer shell cracked last week that seems to be hatching now. Day temps were in the low 30s here in Belgium for the past weeks, so plants in the greenhouse are happy and growing like crazy. The Pritchardias are even outside and loving it.

IMG_1747.JPG

• Upvote 1

Four now. To pot or not to pot...that is the question? If not now, then when? And in what: Pal Meirs mix, cocos + perlite + pumice, read somewhere of good results with pure scoria? Any thoughts?

IMG_1754.JPG

Thank you Cindy, this one is in my top three. I'm at nine now, and it looks like two more are scratching at their shells.

• 1 month later...

I have found these so far.......not all that hard to grow as potted palm indoors and out. Quick grower but I have to watch close for spider mites as I lost a variegated one 2 yrs ago and it was only because of my lack of experience to spot early on what issue was. Tough lesson.

Now have another non variegated one and like first pretty quick grower but this one is spending our summer out on a covered porch enjoying bright light, and our higher humidity but it did just fine last winter indoors as well always growing.

• 2 months later...

I would love to try one of these, but I doubt I'll ever stumble across one.  

Good luck with yours!  Glad to see it's taking off!  

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 2 months later...

Update. I currently have 10 of these, the one in the pic is the largest. One more seems to be hatching.

IMG_1850.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

Update: 19 out of 19 have germinated (though not all are still alive). 6 are currently in the greenhouse where day temperatures generally vary from 30-35c, and the past few days even reaching 45c due to extreme temperatures we're having.

After bad results with some soil mixes (root rot), I've switched over to a coco-chip based mix which seems to be giving excellent results.

Some have died early on due to root rot, and being somewhat overzealous in wanting pot them up. I have found that it's best to leave these in the germination medium (in my case 50% coir, 50% perlite), until they are 10-15cm high (1st and 2nd plumule). At that stage they have a well developed root system.

One of those still in the incubator is refusing to form any root after 4 about months, so I applied some rooting hormone. We'll see what happens.

DSC_5783.JPG

DSC_5784.JPG

DSC_5786.JPG

DSC_5787.JPG

DSC_5792.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

All are growing strongly (even the one with not roots has started to grow). The only thing growing faster in the greenhouse at the moment are the Pritchardia Pacificas.

The big pots are 11x11x22 cm to give an indication of size. I used the coco-chip based mix for all the big post. They seem to love it.

IMG_2340.thumb.jpg.5ab821b36b0a94d3934eb

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to donate some to two botanical gardens in Belgium with tropical greenhouses, so that everyone could admire these beauties, but alas they don't seem interested. Even though part of their mission statement is to preserve endangered species. Go figure! I suppose they get these kinds of offers all the time...   

:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2018 at 5:51 PM, maxum2610 said:

All are growing strongly (even the one with not roots has started to grow). The only thing growing faster in the greenhouse at the moment are the Pritchardia Pacificas.

The big pots are 11x11x22 cm to give an indication of size. I used the coco-chip based mix for all the big post. They seem to love it.

IMG_2340.thumb.jpg.5ab821b36b0a94d3934eb

Ok, we need an updated photo :)

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago I bough 6 seeds of Pelagodoxa henryana.

12.11.2019:

34272272-B70E-4E0A-80BD-A93BFFBD143D.thumb.jpeg.2f61ac336eb54a34481fb6973d88e673.jpeg

29.11.2019  2 of them germinated. I plant them into my potting mix in small box placed on a radiator:

1B97AA34-0D02-43F5-A4DA-2FC71ED31326.thumb.jpeg.83df3f7735126787f587897e1db6dec6.jpeg

I separately planted both to 2l deep pot using my standard mix (often mentioned on this forum). Seed was more covered by mix than in photo:

9B36EDE6-7FCD-4D9A-B265-96B3A840C55D.thumb.jpeg.bb00f472eca955e181b38db18e474450.jpeg

10.12.2019 sprout is starting to develop leaf and root part:

0A07FC73-72F8-4041-9BA2-A95B11D52AAC.thumb.jpeg.322eed2e2d80cbd4cf3dc0015fbf25e8.jpeg

now I have 3/6 seeds sprouted, if anyone have this palm in pot, please share yours Pelagodoxa with us :)

AD3476BC-D369-4C1B-B011-FD318F146E70.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2020 at 9:00 PM, Makaisland Palms said:

@GrumpyGrower good work on the germination!  What was your Thailand source for those seeds by the way!?

Yes...do tell

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1